Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default So, what is your favorite sandwich?

I was s watching a show the other day about sandwiches..at the end of the show I was salivating! The showed regional restaurants that have sandwiches, that people drive miles for....

One in Michigan, served a BLT, that used over a pound of bacon per sandwich! My grandson, the bacon boy, would be in heaven!

Another in Pittsburgh, has one that, they put the french fries, cole slaw and tomatoes, on top of your selected meats. Imagine....<vbg>

And of course the NYC dellies, that pile on the pastami, corned beef, and whatever a mile high....OY

I say we all do a road trip to all of them...

So, what's your fave...and does your area have a specialty? A Cuban, a Muffaletta, or PB & J?

My fave would have to be a, hand carved Roumanian Pastrami on light rye, side of potato salad, with a half sour pickle

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Admiral

I do love the Reubens they had when we were on the Liberty. I also love an Italian Beef when it has been drug through the garden which all the garnish, swiss cheese and topped with sour cream and peppers, at this point I no longer think it is Italian Beef but more of an international beef lol. It's hard to beat a basic club sandwich with vine ripened tomatoes and crisp lettuce that doesn't taste like it came out of a bagged salad mix.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Mam,
All the above sound good to me!
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Default So, What's Your Favorite Sandwich/

My faves are the Beef Dip and the Reubenesque Sandwichs from CafeR&D in Newport Beach CA.

Judy
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
Admiral

As a kid my father would get a craving for the smoked meat sandwiches that I have only had in the Province of Quebec, I don't know exactly what it was for meat - but they were piled high and very good and had a nice pickle served on the side...I haven't had one in years.

Here at home my favorite is a Cranberry Bomb - it is chicken salad on thickly sliced and toasted bread - maybe like a French Bread, then on top of the chicken sald is whole berry cranberry sauce - then a white cheddar is put on top and it is melted under the broiler. It is really good. It is served at one of the few restaurants here in town. They used to make one called the East Side Lady (name of the eatery - The East Side) - it was also an open face - toasted bread - sliced turkey and steamed broccoli spears with cheese melted on top.

What is weird is that we were discussing this on the way home in the car.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Judy, on this show, they showed a French dip sandwich in a place called Phillipes, in L.A. Do you double dip? For me thought of wet bread is a no no

Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:15 PM
First Mate

My favorite sandwich was the #461 at a local deli called the Westside Deli. We used to go there every Friday. It is ham, turkey, swiss, and shreaded lettuce served on whole wheat toast with a wonderful sauce.
They would also serve fries, cold slaw, and a dill pickle on the side.
Unfortunately this deli sold and is now a Mexican Restraunt.

jojo
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:26 PM
Yeoman

The Dagwood!
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Default So, What is Your Favorite Sandwich?

Trip, with the Beef Dip, the best part is dipping the sandwich into an absolutely Specacular au jeu (sp.), one of the reasons one orders this treat!

Judy
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
Admiral

My d/h asked me what a Beef Manhattan was the other day ( I think he thought it was a cocktail lol) and i reminded me of when I was a kid there was a Walgreens downtown with a cafeteria and they had the best beef manhattan.

If any of you guys live in the Corpus Christie, TX area I have a request... not about a sandwich, but there was a family here named Wong that made the very best Chinese food I have ever eaten here in this area. They also had a restaurant in Corpus Christie called China Garden, I am wondering if the family still has that restaurant there or not. I think Sammy Wong owned it back then. If so I would definitely make a point to see them and refresh my taste buds memories next time I am down that way

Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Roast beef poboy on REAL New Orleans french bread with gravy mayo and pickles.......YUM YUM!

Melody
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:27 AM
Admiral

The Carnival ships had a grilled vegetable and mozzarella sandwiches on the room service menu that is so good. For special California Sandwich I would say the turkey and avocado sandwich is a great California Sandwich.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:10 AM
Admiral

Roast beef and cheeze, small amount of mayo, salt.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Gosh, there are so many already mentioned and dozens more I can think of as "favorites," including the generic Dagwood that Beentravelin' mentioned.

But my favorite is probably the Reuben as served at Reuben's in New York. They take a couple of slices of crusty bread on which they place a huge pile of corned beef, sauerkraut, Russian dressing (I think), and then cover the whole thing with slices of swiss cheese and then stick it in the salamander. To die for.

Also, I look forward to real Jewish Pastrami in New York, the kind that has streaks of fat in it, etc. The stuff you get elsewhere, even in "high end" stores, is overwhelmingly any thing BUT what New Yorkers regards as real Jewish Pastrami. The "lean beef" mania sweeping the country has absolutely ruined such richly flavored meats. At the rate we're going, we'll soon be eating all healthy food and we'll all be slim and fit simply because (a) all food will taste like cardboard and (b) all food will taste like cardboard.

Todd
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Admiral

I personally am not into sandwiches,,,,,except,,,,,Philly Cheese Steak! When it's done right,,,it's OUTSTANDING!

Ken
"SKY"
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
First Mate

oooh. Pastrami on rye from the deli on the ship. That's the only time I ever order a pastrami sandwich but it's heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Fish taco!

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Well, I have to agree with VTJen, that a Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich on rye with a good dill pickle on the side is just plain wonderful!
Jen, if you ever come visit me I will treat you to one, and if I ever come visit you again, you will have to take me out for one of those Cranberry Bombs - it sounds delicious!

I do have to mention though, another favourite that I only get to enjoy once or twice a year....leftover turkey sandwiches! They must be made on soft white bread, and include lots of Mayo and leftover stuffing.
I have been enjoying one of those every day for the past week!

donna
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:26 AM
Admiral

RDonna,

Want to make those turkey sandwiches even better? Add a little cranberry sauce!

Todd
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Admiral

RD - that is about my fave too - white bread, real turkey, mayo and a little salt, and if I have it iceburg lettuce - plain simple and too the point.

I would be happy to take you for a cranberry bomb. This summer our little lake cruise boat should be up and running, if you and James are still in Montreal you guys should come down. Delft too... we could cruise beautiful lake Mempremagog.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The best sandwich in the world is made at Schwartz's Deli in Montreal. A small cubby hole of a hole that is almost always lined up.

The smoked meats are hand cut, paper thin, and piled high. You get your choice of lean, standard or fatty. Of course the fatty is the worst for you, and the tastiest... and all done on famous Montreal Rye breads.

It's like Carnegie or Stage Deli in NY, but with better products.

And, now there's the amazing panini sandwiches I can make on my new panini grill. Any kind of ingrediants you want piled high, and grilled on the panini. I now make better Reuben sandwhiches than Carnival.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Here is Pittsburgh...we have HOAGIES.....

Soft 12 inch bun
A good Italian dressing
Baked Ham
Hot ham (capacola) [spell]
Sandwich pepperoni
Hard Salami
Provolone cheese
All baked until the bun is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Then topped with lettuce, onions and tomatoes

OMG I am so darned hungry now

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Now I am very hungry and have to get a sandwich!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

Cruising is great, but now I have to save my nickels and dimes to fly to Montreal and go to Schwartz's!

Todd
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

It has to be the beef sandwiches from the ma & pa pizza places outside Chicago in Oak Lawn Illinois.
Lots of Beef on a steamed roll with natural juices and sweet peppers and I moved away from this, now each time I go back it's 2 or 3 of them.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
My d/h asked me what a Beef Manhattan was the other day ( I think he thought it was a cocktail lol) and i reminded me of when I was a kid there was a Walgreens downtown with a cafeteria and they had the best beef manhattan.

If any of you guys live in the Corpus Christie, TX area I have a request... not about a sandwich, but there was a family here named Wong that made the very best Chinese food I have ever eaten here in this area. They also had a restaurant in Corpus Christie called China Garden, I am wondering if the family still has that restaurant there or not. I think Sammy Wong owned it back then. If so I would definitely make a point to see them and refresh my taste buds memories next time I am down that way
Is this it? China Garden & Kitchen (361) 814-7888
4101 S Padre Island Dr, Corpus Christi, TX 78411

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
RDonna,

Want to make those turkey sandwiches even better? Add a little cranberry sauce!

Todd
Correction: add avocado!!! Yummy.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 3rd, 2009, 05:49 PM
Admiral

I just got home from work, and reading this thread, is killing me
Darlene, you would have to ask for a sub if you lived around Boston, although my Mother used to call them spuckies......she was from N.H, before she moved here...

With Kuki Jen and RD's smoked meat.....if you ordered that here, no one would know what you wanted...we do have smoked meats..but you would have to say like, could I have a spiced beef sandwich......that particular, term, smoked meat sandwich, is unknown in deli's around here.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Admiral

http://Is this it? China Garden & Ki...isti, TX 78411

It probably is. I didn't do a very good job in my original post describing my inquiry. But what I was trying to say was years ago, over in Danville, IL there was a Chinese Restaurant that had delicious food, the best egg rolls you ever put in your mouth, Hong Kong steak, which was a porterhouse cooked in a wok with Bok Choy and other delicious veggies and all sorts of other yummy delights. This restaurant was owned by the Wong family the two brothers names were Jeffy and Sammy. Jeffy handled the Danvile store and Jeffy ran Corpus Christie. Jeffy eventually sold the Danville restaurant and chinese food has not been the same for me since. So I was curious if Sammy still had the one in Corpus Christie (or even another Wong family member) and if it was still as good as it used to be. It would not surprise me to find out that Jeffy and his whole family when down there as his daughter would have graduated High School about the time they sold it. I would bet that your search yielded the actual restaurant, I do wonder if it is owned by the Wongs still. My mouth is watering, just thinking about it!

Old January 4th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Admiral

Not a lot of help from the Texas website. But one of my old favorites came through. China Garden and Kitchen in Corpus Christi is owned by a Corporation the president is Joe Lu. This appears to be the only China Garden in Corpus Christi. I bet the business sold in the middle of 2004. I found some reviews and they start to change in 2004.
http://cityguide.aol.com/corpuschris...+Christi%2C+TX
Quote:
Selection is great and food is good. Food has suffered somewhat since remodeling and owner being at a different resturant. Still the best in Corpus.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994