Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Default It's Time For The Sunday Early Forecast and Menu

It's SUNDAY! (as they used to say in New York to announce the Jersey drag races).

For Kuki up in Montreal it's gonna' be sunny but the temps will only get into the teens (F). Likewise Rollerdonna is also going to not stay out around Montreal as while under sunny skies, the temps will only be marginally warmer.

Portland Cruisemates will find it getting showery this afternoon with highs in the forties (F) and Trip and company will not have it too bad in the Bostson area also with seasonal highs only climbing to the mid thirties from this morning's low of 27, but sunny skies might make it feel warmer.

For BeenieWeenie , after a cold and foggy start to the day, the temps are going to climb into the low fifties and she'll be able to leave her bumbershoot at home.

Jen, if your D/H has to go out on call, at least the temps aren't going to vary that much only varying a few degrees from the low to the high in the low twenties.

Irish, Mehawk and your's truly, being "real men" can easily enjoy our environment..........as long, of course, as we can stay inside where it's warm or cool and comfy (depending upon the season).

Today's menu is going to the old "comfort food" routine starting with Fran's very creamy and rich homemade potato-leek soup followed by a large tossed salad with garden ranch dressing, a very slow roasted chuck pot roast with onion gravy (if you've had southern style roast beef at a Crackerbarrel Restaurant that's what I'm talking about), creamy mashed potatoes (made with real cream and real butter and also known as whipped potatoes in the South), sweet corn, steamed broccoli rabe and homemade apple crumb cake and French vanilla ice cream for dessert!

Blessings on you all and welcome to DougR's newest Cruisemates! Prayers of course going out to those needing special attention.

TDH
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Admiral

It is Sunday. Its been a whirlwind of a week. I started New Years Eve fighting back tears thinking about the new year to arrive. My mother dying is one thing, the termendously complicated issues regarding my sister is a whole other thing. Well, things came to a head this week, alot of tears, and very upsetting talks, and just strong doses of realism, have my mother and sister realizing my sister cannot stay long trm in the country, and most of all, as much as it hurt me to tell them, I will not be moving to the country. I first don't like it, but most of all I have my own health issues that need to be cared for and I wont be driving as I do now for my mother to get her good care. I also wont give up my loved ones. If some thing happens to me, then my sister is again all alone facing the same thing. Finally it has been decided as much as she doesnt like the Supburbs that I will in fact buy her a town house in the same set as I live in. This would give the indapendance my sister needs to get, and also have the help she very much needs "right there" in less than 3 minutes. It's not perfect, but it is the best. It will be hard for her to get used to so many more people, and a busier life around her, but we will get through it together. There was the thought of buying a house for all of us, but when my sister is angry she expresses not wanting to have to live "with my sister". She would feel some one had to take her in, and she is smart enough to be aware of that and it hurts her. This gives her the feeling she has her own house, but us all the knowledge we can care for her and most of all be here for her. My sister is very high functioning in terms of her care of her self, her animals, her home, no one is a better house cleaner, but she couldnt deal with every day small things that pop up that are not things she has dealt with before. Most importantly, lonliness. That would kill the best of us. Coming here, she would have us within minutes and see us daily, as well as a couple of very close and dear friends. ( one who also has a sister with similar disability).

What helps is my mother strongly supports this idea now, and I am headed to the paint store today to get paint swatches so they can pick the "colors" and plan things for when the time comes. This really helps my sister emotionally, she feels much more secure when my mother promotes something and plans something. My mother has given me instructions on everything from which curtains to hang, to which freezer to keep and so on!

She does seem much more at peace now, now that she knows there is a solid plan in place for my sister . My mother talks more now of her passing, I find now she has moved from the difficult stage this fall of anger and denial and has moved to quiet acceptance and moving on. Now if only I can find that same grace.

So, its been a very difficult week, and I have cried so much I am not even sure I can cry any more, but a New Years Eve that started with over whelming burden and fear finally has turned into sadness yes at what lies ahead, but the hope of the sun that still glimmers behind the clouds.

Today I am to continue to clean up from the holidays. Then a friend comes for a visit this afternoon. Then tonight my DS made reservations for dinner. Just him and I. He said he wanted to take me out just to say thank you for being there for him. That was kind of nice. Friday night Sam and I went to diner and just talked for a very long time.

Have a great day every one.
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Todd you did a pretty good job on our forecast for today... the temp is 46 at the moment and rising. You're doing better than the weathermas here, I am convinced he practices the SWAG method of forecasting lol!

Delft, wow you have your hands full! You've really been trying hard to hold it all together, and it sounds like you are doing a remarkable job under very trying circumstances. Hang in there sweety and keep fighting the good fight!

Today is our last day with d/h and about 5 he'll take off for his next job. So that is hard. But hey only a month of work with home on the weekends then we'll have another two weeks together and our adventure on the high deas with Kuki and the guys will commence down in NOLA.

Right now only d/s and I are awake. He is so cute. He's laying on the couch asking me to come over and give him a kissy. How can I resist. Luckily he's not so old yet, that he's embarrassed by his mom giving him some lovins. I have to find my water bottle, the cat thinks she is a giant furry centerpiece to adds a lovely touch to the dining room table. I am not sure how she knows just when I have temporarily lost the squirt bottle. But she knows she doesn't belong up there :evil:

Well aside from laundry and a few other things, today is just going to be spent hanging around here. Hope you all take care and have a great day!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Good morning all. It's sunny and in the 50's right now, but will warm up into the 70's later today with rain in the forcast. That's just too hot for January. Not much planned for today.

Tomorrow I will start back to work after having almost 2 weeks off. I've enjoyed not working and really hate to go back to work, but I haven't won that lottery yet so off to work I go tomorrow.

Everyone have a great day.

Need some cruise help?
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Captain

Good Morning All

Well as Todd said it is Sunday and time to get up and get ready for church. As for this afternoon it will depend as the temp are suppose to be in the mid 70's and if you look out our window it is gorgeous. That means good weather = yard work, however we have a 50% chance of rain = watch some of my movies. Lets hope for rain

You all have a great Alabama Day.

Irish 8)

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from Montreal, where it is certainly not early, but Todd's forecast was pretty close! -12, windchill of -20 and flurries to look forward to.

It's almost lunchtime, but I am just coming to, after being up all night waiting for my son to call from the hospital.
Brought him in around 7:45 pm complaining of severe rib pain after several weeks of coughing. He's already on antibiotics for a week due to this "cold and lung infection".
Anyway, he waited 6 hours to see a doctor, then another 2 hours to get a chest x-ray, be seen again, and given a prescription for a pain killer and sent home at 4 am. We still don't know what is wrong, but he's still sleeping so I guess he's ok now.

Last day of holiday today, back to work tomorrow. After all this quiet, I hope I can stand the noise!

donna
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Default It's Time for the Sunday Early Forecast and Menu

Good morning from Southern California. Todd, you forgot me! The fog moved on, so it's sunny, chilly with temps in the low sixties.

We had a nice time in Costa Mesa yesterday. I shopped and found a cotton shirt on sale for $12. RD, I had a cheeseburger at Ruby's.

Not much on today. I'd like to go to Norm's for lunch and try their chef's salad. That's not on many menus these days.

Judy
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Good Afternoon Mates,

The sun is trying to break thru the cloud cover, Todd has the temps just about right - in my little nook it is 15, with a breeze so feels like slightly above zero.

Just got back from Church - we had the monthly breakfast after service this morning. I am always the last in line as I always have so many things/people to tend to so the pickin's were slim to be sure.

Todd - as usual you are having an awesome Sunday Dinner.

DD and I will be going to my mil for the afternoon. DH and ds will be trying to get the kids car running. Dh and I left early for church, then as soon as I got there I had to turn around and get the gets as their car wouldn't start. I think the battery has died, it will take some doing to find a battery in our little rinkydink town on a Sunday.

Not much else going on here. I have a sinus headache, many are sick with bronchial type infections, I hope I can escape that as then it aggrevates my asthma and I will have to start on inhalers again.

Delft - I wish there were something I could do to ease your burden. Know that you are doing your very best - keeping your sister safe...I am sure it will be a hard transition, but her safety and well being are foremost in importance, once she adjusts she may learn that the subburbs are bearable.

RD - hoping they find out what the matter is with your son. Sorry you were up all night. Take a nap!

BW - what a sweet little boy you have, mine is all grown up.

Love and Joy to you all!
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates!

Though contrary to what Todd thinks, I'm no where near Montreal Same country, but about 3300 miles apart

In Calgary we're at the edge of a warming trend. Heck we could be close to 40 F in the next few days

Have to continue working on getting year end paperwork in order for us, and my parents for the accountants and lawyers, as I'm going to be away for all of Feb.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

Sorry for the typo. I guess I was thinking about your Schwarts's Deli recommendation. The forecast was for Calgary.

Todd
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest.....it still is here for a couple of hours.........

Todd..............I'm a bit north of Portland.......we're warmer & less snow....

Dinner sounds good Todd.........we might just have some of that......no time for the roast today.......

Y'all have a good day............

Sharon
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:20 PM
First Mate

Good Morning Mates,
Today I can finally see some sunshine! We have had a temp. inversion so it has been gray and gloomy for the past few weeks. Right now our temperature is around 40 F.
Delft, you are doing an amazing job of providing the needed support for your mom and sister. This has to be a difficult time for you. Sometimes it does feel good to have a plan in place. (((Delft))) I hope you have people who are taking care of you too.
RD so sorry to hear about your son. I am wishing him a speedy recovery and you a relaxing day. I know what you mean about the noise level at work. Less than one day away. ug
Todd, as usual your Sunday meal sounds wonderful!
Too all of you enjoy the first Sunday of 2009.

jojo