CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Hallelujah.... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/359831-hallelujah.html)

Delft January 4th, 2009 10:49 PM

Hallelujah....

Have many of you, any of you been listening to the various artists who have remade this song? Leonard Cohen did the song in the 1980's. I always loved it, but I was in the minority. My friends found it depressing. I never did, maybe because I have met the man, and always loved his work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjY9T...eature=related

Any ways, Il Divo has also put their version on their new CD The promise.

Now all of a sudden every one loves the song. In Englad it became the number 1 holiday song! Interesting because it was never written as a holiday song.

But I love it and I have made myself self a CD of all the versions, I don't know why some songs just seem to touch the heart more than other's. For my mother, it is AVa Maria, it will make her cry EACH and EVERY time she hears it.

This version of the song, along with Il Divo's and Rufus Wainright are my favs...after Leonard Cohen of course, who sings it very differantly, but theres something about it.

What do you think of it? Do you have other favorites?

rollerdonna January 4th, 2009 11:00 PM

To tell you the truth, I've only ever heard one version of this song, by Canadian songstress kd lang. she does a wonderful job, and it is a powerful song, I love it too.
I will have to look out for the Il Divo version....

donna

Delft January 4th, 2009 11:05 PM

RD, Click on the link, you will see Alexander Burkes version that quickly jumped to the charts. I like it better than KD lang.

Here is the you tube link to Il Divo's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_90D7r70vU

katlady January 5th, 2009 12:10 AM

To start off I love this song. I also really like Leonard Cohen version of Everybody Knows. So I had to hear his version, it's really great. I like the Jason Castro version

Trip January 5th, 2009 08:49 AM

Delft, that last link, says I can not get that video, in my country:(

Mike M January 5th, 2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip
Delft, that last link, says I can not get that video, in my country:(

Same here: It must be for Canadian viewing only. :cry:

Take care,
Mike

CruiseNOID January 5th, 2009 09:11 AM

Three is the charm. I can't access it either.

katlady January 5th, 2009 10:04 AM

Well that is strange I was able to embed the video. However, I changed my country to canada and it still wouldn't play the link. I wonder if it will play the embedded video?
:-?

katlady January 5th, 2009 10:05 AM

Nope :(

Delft January 5th, 2009 10:28 AM

Thats really odd! I just clicked on the Il Divo link and it is a singing right now lol!

Well, just go to you tube, and type in

Il Divo - Hallelujah (Alelujah)

and then click on a link that will work in the USA. ( if you want to hear their version that is!

katlady January 5th, 2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delft
Thats really odd! I just clicked on the Il Divo link and it is a singing right now lol!

and then click on a link that will work in the USA. ( if you want to hear their version that is!

Pretty voice, but I can't understand a word he is saying. Is there an English version?

hez January 5th, 2009 10:45 AM

katlady, thanks for posting the Jason Castro video!!!!! The first link you posted didn't work for me, but the Jason Castro one did. (and i'm in Canada)

Delft, I fell in love with this song because of Jason Castro singing it on American Idol. I'd never heard it before this. It didn't hurt that i was kind of in love with him too... :roll: Pathetic, i know!!

Delft January 5th, 2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:

Originally Posted by Delft

Pretty voice, but I can't understand a word he is saying. Is there an English version?

LOL Kat, I think he is singing in Italian!!

Delft January 5th, 2009 11:20 AM

Hez, I know alot of people like Jason. I am so so on him, I prefere in terms of male voices Jeff Buckley and Rufus Wainwright. Female my fav is Alaxander Burke ( english version of A.I.) and second is Kate Voegele. All of these can be found on U tube. I Know KD lang sings it as well, but I dont like it as much, which may have more to do with not like her music over all. Some I liked, but she got a little wierd for me. Kind of like Celine Dion :shock:

rollerdonna January 5th, 2009 10:17 PM

The links all worked for me; Il Divo did a good job, just didn't understand it...
Jason too, great job, but I still stand by my fave version, k.d. lang.....

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE[url]

donna

katlady January 6th, 2009 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerdonna
The links all worked for me; Il Divo did a good job, just didn't understand it...
Jason too, great job, but I still stand by my fave version, k.d. lang.....

donna

I like K.D. Lang and I'm lazy so I embedded your link. :D

katlady January 6th, 2009 12:47 AM

Wow, I'm surprised I didn't like the K.D. Lang version. I really like her voice, but this is a personal song not a performance. She didn't sing it for herself, she sang it for the audience and that's what I don't like for this song. Let's see if this video explains what I mean. This is Jeff Buckley, he seems to have a connection to the song, it's like you are watching a private moment between him and his guitar.
:shock:

skymaster January 6th, 2009 08:14 AM

I too prefer the K.D. Lang version. That's why there's chocolate, and vanilla, or as they used to say in the car business,,,"There's an @ss for every seat". :shock:

Ken
"SKY"

REDWITCH 13 January 6th, 2009 05:25 PM

Is this the song from Shrek?

I do like this song. So easy on the ears.

Darlene