Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Beginner

Default If you've cruised with a baby...I need advice PLEASE!!!

If you've taken a baby on a cruise, could you PLEASE tell me about your experience??? I would really appreciate it!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Admiral

I have not taken a baby on a cruise, but I have learned from experience that one should NEVER put a baby in diapers (or no diapers even!) in the pool. Accidents happen, and entire pools have had to be drained and many passengers inconvenienced because of it.

I also know that babysitting services are available in your cabin, for an extra fee.
Sorry I can't be of any more help, maybe some other cruisemates can fill in some more details.

donna
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Admiral

How old will your baby be when you sail. Have you booked a cruise yet? If so, what line?

Only RCCL offers in cabin babysitting that I am aware of and I cannot recall if that is offered for infants or not. I do know that offer a time when parents and the baby can come into the kid's club and play together with the toys and such. You may want to look linto Disney as I believe they offer a nursery. Since only potty trained children are allowed in the pools. Some parents bring small inflatable pools and use them for their babies.

Carnival and Disney are the only cruise lines I am aware of that will change diapers. Carnival does have small windows of time each day (I believe it is in the mornings) when they will watch children under two. You should verify this information with the cruiseline prior to booking as the lines do change their policies from time to time.

There are also a couple all inclusive resorts in Jamaica that offer Nanny service. One is Round Hill Resort (the resort where they filmed How Stella Got her Groove Back) and the Franklin D. Resort.

Give us a few more specifics what your circumstances are and maybe we can offer more advice.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Admiral

OY!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Taken my baby on lots of trips, never a cruise, but yes on a 50 foot sail boat several times between the ages of one year till he was about 16 , when the boat was sold that is in Antigua. We would go on the boat for 2-3 weeks. On a cruise, we see any with little ones. Just go and have fun. You will be tied to baby but you would be on land as well. I have seen people bring little blow up baby pools, the babies love it and the staff we wonderful about putting some water in it.
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:23 PM
First Mate

do you really want to try and do this??????? even if a cruise line will take your little angel, do you think this is going to be a vacation? having a child is a glorious sacrifice -- but it is not 'business as usual.' though you will pay for the 'business' in many ways. why not wait on the cruise?
and your cruisemates might 'pay' in other ways.
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

hombre......that wasn't very helpful. Many children are a delight to travel with and I'm sure the original poster knows her child better than you do.

I would suggest bringing any otc medicines with you and plan for every possible thing that could happen. If your child is very young, pack Pedialyte.

I've seen many people traveling with infants, toddlers and children of all ages. The Camp Carnival kids ALWAYS seem to be having a wonderful time when I peek in.

Melody
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Admiral

I disagre Hombre, I travelled wth y own kid ALOT,and I enjoy kids. My kid loved to travel, and was never a difficulty. But then didnt pass him off to others. business as usual no, but Mums know that, the OP should just keep to some sort of routine, last cruise we had a women with one baby and two small kids next to our cabin, and they routinely had nap times, and she kept tsome what to a routine and while there was some crying, they were really good. Passengers who dont like kids, families etc should stay with lines that are in my view more sedate and grumpy.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Admiral

This is another reason to consider Disney. Most people who sail on Disney pretty much have accepted that they will be sailing with children. Also from what I understand they work hard to accomodate people who have children of all ages.

My kids are 6 and 8 now, and I had them later in life than most, but I remember what those days were like trying to juggle working for a large corporation, hormonal, sleep deprived, making sure no one did without anything they needed, while totally depleting myself. A cruise would have been nice. I waited until my kids were 2 and 4 to take them on their first cruise and they were hooked.

I also know what it is like to not have anyone that I was comfortable leaving my kids with so d/h and I could have a romantic night out on our anniversary and occasions like that. Trust your instincts. I am sure you would take a crying baby out of a restaurant so not to disturb your fellow diners etc... all of the normal stuff you do when you take the family out for dinner anywhere.

If I had to choose to cruise with a bunch of children or one cranky adult, I'd take the kids!

Old January 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Oh BW you remind me of when we were on DAWN for New Years Eve Cruise. Every one in the dinning room was in such a good mood, and the more every one was in a good mood, the more this one old grump kept getting more and more of a sour face. He looked so angry and so nasty, you could tell he hated the louder voices ( which were all happy) and in general the very nice and festive mood, when he left, we all laughed, like you miserable old fart, have a good sleep! His poor wife, she looked so embarressed, and even more unhappy, and especially LONELY. The ait staff that nigh was also very festive, people were just plain happy.
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Admiral

no worries, only smashed softly! I just feel kids ad babies often get a bad rap. Usually their behaviour is dictated by their parents, and to be honest, I had more troubles in trips in the past from nasty adults and in particular adults that drnk to much. Or dont take ashower before getting on a plane.
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Here's the info I posted on the OP's other thread in case she forgets to look over there.

New Mom, Relax! This will be fine. Baby food is not that hard to bring on board. You can actually purchase it in your port city before boarding the ship. You can also pick up an inexpensive umbrella stroller at the same time for $10-15 at walmart when you buy the baby food.

or bring it with you from home... You are not required to rent one from Carnival.
This is from Carnival's website
"Children under 2 years old will be offered babysitting services from 12pm-2pm on sea days (Babysitting fees apply). During this time parents can leave their child with the Camp Carnival staff or they are welcome to stay with their child free of charge. "
"Children aged under 2 years old will be offered babysitting services on sea days during the supervised freeplay times (Babysitting fees apply). On port day mornings, infant care begins 15 minutes prior to the first scheduled ship tour to 12:00 noon, or port day afternoons during the scheduled freeplay times (for specific times check with your Youth Staff when arriving on board)."

"Babysitting is provided for ages 0-11, nightly, from 10:00pm to 3:00am. There is a charge for this service "

Here is the webpage you need to read sweety. Holler if you need any help.

"http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Camp_Carnival_Program.aspx"

Old January 8th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

That's great info Beenie! I'm hoping my new granddaughter, Isabella, will be able to join us on the June 2010 cruise. She will be 19 months old at that time. It's hard to believe this little baby will be that old when we cruise with her! We are planning a large group cruise and Isabella will have a multitude of people to care for her. I think it will be fun! The babysitting info will come in handy for the nights when we want some group adult fun......but you already know about that! I seem to recall something about putting on a certain pair of shoes and a certain hat and dancing on tables!

Melody
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Oh those were the days, now I am happy if I can just tie my shoes.

!

Old January 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
First Mate

despite what you think, i am not a grumpy, cranky old man. i love children and families, spend time with lots of them, married most of the parents, and baptized most of the children. just because i express a view on a site which says, 'got an opinion, feel free to express it here' should not label me. you don't even know me. my view is that babies less than a year old should not be on some cruise ships; it is not the babys' problem; it is most often the parents' who think life should go on as usual, baby or not. sorry i offended anyone; guess this is not the 'say as you think' site i thought it was. i am offended by your replies, especially bw's. but we're starting to establish a 'history' anyway.
Old January 8th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre
despite what you think, i am not a grumpy, cranky old man. i love children and families, spend time with lots of them, married most of the parents, and baptized most of the children. just because i express a view on a site which says, 'got an opinion, feel free to express it here' should not label me. you don't even know me. my view is that babies less than a year old should not be on some cruise ships; it is not the babys' problem; it is most often the parents' who think life should go on as usual, baby or not. sorry i offended anyone; guess this is not the 'say as you think' site i thought it was. i am offended by your replies, especially bw's. but we're starting to establish a 'history' anyway.
Theres no need to be offended. I personally dont think you are grumpy, I never met you, and I for sure didnt say you were grumpy. I just say I agree with BW that I would rather deal with normal famillies, noise etc than some one grumpy. I have a father who's known as "grumpy grandpa"..........he will never go on a trip with us, nor would we want him on the trip with us, therefore he goes HAL, and why we won't go with HAL as with celebrity as well. He knows it himself, he calls himself grumpy. Even my rather sedate love of my life preferes a more family spirited ship. He spent 2 weeks on a celebrity cruise, and he almost jumped ship. It was just to sedate and old even for him who is sedate, at the time he was middle aged. I personally dont have a problem with bringing little ones on a trip, but then as a child, as a baby, I was being placed on planes from just a couple of months old, and I did the same, rather successfully with my own child. I dont see a problem with people travelling with babies and kids, but they should stick to lines that are family oriented, and stay away from sedate lines, and by the same token, people who are not good around alot of kids, famillies, noise, and so on should stick with more sedate lines.
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
i am offended by your replies, especially bw's. but we're starting to establish a 'history' anyway.
You're offended by my reply? Which one? I didn't call you a grumpy old man. I said...

Quote:
If I had to choose to cruise with a bunch of children or one cranky adult, I'd take the kids!
But hey, if the shoe fits feel free to wear it.

I will say that I really wish your posts were a little more helpful and contributed more to the subject matter. Your posts do seem to take on more of a provocative and judgemental tone and you certainly can dish it out... but you get offended so easily. Ridiculing people for spelling errors on a message board also seems pretty nitpicky, and your respose to the OP on the "Ask Cruisemates Staff" thread she started was anything but helpful.
In case you missed it, she did not ask for your opinion on whether or not she should bring her child.

Her request was simple:
Quote:
If you've taken a baby on a cruise, could you PLEASE tell me about your experience??? I would really appreciate it!!!!
So have you taken a baby on a cruise? Do you have experience taking babies on cruises? That is the topic.

C'mon give me a break.

BTW there is no spell check here on Cruisemates, and if I dared to make a type-o, please forgive me, I'm only human.