Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default Guess What Happened To Me!!

I was sitting here in my living room. It was around 4:15AM. I heard a noise and turned around. I realised the noise was coming from my sliding door. Someone was trying to get in. I ran to the door and pulled back the blinds. I saw a blue sweat suit just walking off my patio. I called resident services. I went back to the window and saw the same sweat suit walking past my patio on the sidewalk outside the fence. The person had a phone clamped to his ear. I went in the bathroom and was watching the window there. I saw this person walk across the street and turn up toward the Clubhouse. I cannot imagine why he or she chose my apartment. Lights were on, the tv was on and I was sitting right in the room. I am shaking so hard I can barely type. As I look out on the patio I see that the person left the gate open. I remember a few weeks ago I came home from my overnight job and saw the gate open. I remember thinking I always close it because I do not want Miss Lilly to wander out when she is on the patio. I am shaken to the core.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

I know how you feel. We've had three attempts on our residence in the last 6 months. It's like Fort Knox now, but they keep trying...
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Admiral

How awful and scary!

When I saw the title of the post I thought. Yeah, she won a cruise, or booked a cruise, then when I read it, it was quite the opposite.

Stay safe Laura - keep us posted. Did they try to find the perp after you phoned? Do you live in a gated community?
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Oh Laura, that has to be so scary. I too was hoping you won a cruise. Did you call 911? I would sure be in touch. I think your experience merits follow up and precautions should be taken. such as increased patrols and some ideas on things you can do to help keep you safe.

Years ago when I worked for the company we also were affiliated with ADT the security/alarm company. At that time they had developed an alarm system designed for people who live in apartments or rentals that could not have a permanent system installed. Their services are relatively inexpensive and could give you a quick and easy way to get help if you need it.

Prayers coming your way.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

How scary, and brave of you to open the blinds!! Did you call the police? I bet your heart is still going a mile a minute...stick a broom handle in the track......

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 9th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Admiral

I did call resident services. there is always someone in the guard house at the gate. When I first moved here there was never anyone there overnight. Then breakins started and they decided to keep the guards on 24 hours. They do patrols of the community all night. Also the local police come in and drive through the area. Today I have several appointments to take care of then I am going to Lowes to get something for the door.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old January 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Admiral

I don't know if it's possible to install carmeras or get a dog. A barking dog would make someone think twice. Here is a booklet on How to protect your home. It's an interesting read. Stay safe. http://www.usaonwatch.org/pdfs/HomeSecurityBooklet.pdf
This is a quote from the booklet.

Quote:
SLIDING GLASS DOORS
Sliding glass doors present a major security problem if they do not have the properlocks, and if special steps are not taken to prevent removal of the door. An inexpensive
security measure involves placing a dowel in the bottom track to prevent thedoor from being pried open.

A sliding glass door is lifted into position when installed and, therefore, can
be lifted from the track to be removed by a burglar. To prevent this, it is recommended that two or three sheet metal screws be inserted into the track above the sliding door. These screws should be adjusted so that the top of the door barely clears them when it is operated.

The best lock for a sliding glass door is a deadlock, which utilizes a bore pin tumbler cylinder and is operable by a key from the outside. The lock bolt should engage the strike sufficiently so that it will not be disengaged by any amount of movement. When the existing inside pull has to be changed in order to accommodate a new deadlock, an inside cylinder pull is recommended as a replacement.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

At the first sign of an intruder you should call 911!!!

I'm sure it was scary, and harder to think clearly, but call 911, then your resident services.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Admiral

I went out today and bought sliding door locks. These mount on the glass on the inside right behind the slider. When not in use they lie flat against the glass allowing the door to slide. When I want them to secure the door I just flip them up so they obstruct the door. There are 2 in a set and I bought 2 sets so I have 4 of them on the door. Very simple to install and they solve the problem.

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old January 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Thought you guys had guns, could you not just shoot and let the police sort it out 8)
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Me with a gun.............That is a scary thought!

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old January 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Maybe he was just a Peeping Tom or the maintenence guy.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Or a drunk at the wrong house.

Melody
Old January 9th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Laura, what happened to you with the intruder is very scary!!! Consider it a "wake up call". It might be worth your while to install a burgler alarm system. As the saying goes, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!"
Old January 9th, 2009, 09:09 PM
First Mate

Laura,
You are in our thoughts. Please be safe.

jojo
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Admiral

Thank you everyone for your good wishes and great ideas. It renews my faith in people to know so many good caring people. The day I joined CruiseMates was my lucky day.

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old January 10th, 2009, 12:59 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
I did call resident services. there is always someone in the guard house at the gate. When I first moved here there was never anyone there overnight. Then breakins started and they decided to keep the guards on 24 hours. They do patrols of the community all night. Also the local police come in and drive through the area. Today I have several appointments to take care of then I am going to Lowes to get something for the door.

Laura
Is it possibly someone who lives in the community? No screening process known can screen out all the potential criminals, especially when there are people with six-figure incomes losing their jobs.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old January 10th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Admiral

That is scary for sure, and I am glad you made the right reports and so on. It may be worth getting an alarm for your unit for your own peace of mind. I was robbed 25 years ago, in another home, and it never left me. When I bought this house, I had one put in, even though my three yappers would go off before an alrm Just makes me more secure about my belongings when I am gone. Be sure to do simple things like have timers on lights and so on. I am glad you are fine.
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Locks only keep the "honest" crooks out. If someone wants into a building or residence, they are going to get in. That is why many windows are broken or doors are broken at the locks because the crooks who really, really want in are going to get in. Even alarms are not foolproof as many crooks already know what they want, get in and get out in moments.

My foolproof system... unfriendly dogs to sound the alarm and a hogleg (gun) to finish the job. I have a gun downstairs and one upstairs so I am not surprised and unarmed.

There are gunsafes that have different types of locks. Some have combinations, others padlocks, some keyed locks and now there are some that have touch pads that are fingerprint sensitive. Just lay your fingers on it and it opens. That way, a child or other person cannot open it.

Security has no costs in actuality.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

And remember a gal with a gun..........Hand gun or shot gun? If you are experienced, good aim, and no hesitiation - hand gun. But if you are not either of those it would be best for the shot gun so you don't miss your target!!!!
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Captain

I'm getting in on this post late but I thought it was interesting. Since at least one other law enforcement brother (Mehawk) chimed in and offered his advice (which I agree with everything he said) I will just add in what I've found works and doesn't work during my years of experience...Still just my opinion only:

Dogs: Really a great deterternt. It doesn't even have to be a big protection type dog or even one with a big, deep bark. Creeps breaking in hate any dog. They know that some of the smallest ones bite the hardest and the noise from the bark will ususally make them pick an easier target.

Guns: I'm very pro-gun but unlike some, I don't think they are for everyone. I sort of laugh when I hear people say get a gun and do alot of target practicing to get prepared for an incident. You can shoot bullzeyes into those fixed, silhouette targets all day and it has NOTHING to do with shooting someone breaking into your house other than getting you a little familiar with the weapon. If you are ever in that situation you wont' have time to assume a perfect stance, take a deep breath and slowly squeeze the trigger...In fact you probably won't have time to do anything but point without using sights and shoot. If you want to enter the olympics go learn to target shoot the silhouettes. If you want to learn to use the gun for self defense (as in this case) you need to go learn how to combat shoot. They are two differnt worlds. If you do shoot remember....FTFF...If anyone wants to know what that stands for, PM me lol.

Alarms: I don't know whether to laugh or cry whenever I see those ADT commercials come on TV. They are almost completely worthless from my experience. The commercial shows an alert, highly trained technician talking to you from the alarm control center. In real life, most of them are idiots and barely know what they are doing. I've never understood the concept of they get an intrusion alarm from your house then they call you to see if everything is ok before they send the police. If you give them the proper passcode and tell them everything is ok, they don't dispatch any help...Nevermind the guy with his arm around you and the knife to your throat who made you tell them your passcode! Jesus. Also, I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but police don't come racing to your house with lights and sirens on when they get an alarm call at your residence like in the commercial. Most PD's of any size have alot more calls than they have cops and residential alarms aren't a huge priority. I'm not saying it's necessarily right, but it's true. Your response time maybe a bit better if you live in a small town or somewhere where law enforcement isn't usually quite as busy. As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of the alarm and trust me, I know very few police officers who have one on their homes even though they are often leaving families home at night while they are working. If they make you feel better though, get one. The one positive is you might get a discount on your homeowners insurance or whatever, I guess.

Lights: I'm very pro-light. Have lots of them around the exterior of your house that are on motion sensors. Creeps hate lights like they hate barking dogs (for the one poster who has to disagree with me on almost everything cause I didn't sugar coat something enough, agree with his political agenda or something months ago, I realize not every incident happens after dark and lights won't always help. I got it)

Get to know your neighbors! Be a little nosy (in a good way) and ask each other to keep their eyes on your place. I've got some elderly ones next door nosy as hell about what we are doing. But I love it cause they watch my place. They are also super nice. Here in the midwest, we still generally get to know our neighbors....When I lived on the west coast, uhh not so much which is too bad. AGAIN, I know there are exceptions!

Pepper Spray: I dig the pepper spray especially for folks who aren't so big on guns. Get a few of those huge, Dog the Bounty Hunter, fire extinguisher sized ones and put them around your house. The only drawback is you will get at least some of it yourself when you use it but it's still pretty good.

SAFES: Probably the best most underused thing there is to protect your property. I don't get why people spend over a hundred thousand bucks on homes but don't put in a safe. Invest in a fairly large safe, bolt it to the floor and you can put your guns (if you have any), valuables, important papers and anything else in them. You can really make it so it's almost worthless to them if someone enters your home by utilizing a safe. They are almost as fullproof as you can get so instead of that alarm system, get a safe instead!!
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
I'm getting in on this post late but I thought it was interesting. Since at least one other law enforcement brother (Mehawk) chimed in and offered his advice (which I agree with everything he said) I will just add in what I've found works and doesn't work during my years of experience...Still just my opinion only:

Dogs: Really a great deterternt. It doesn't even have to be a big protection type dog or even one with a big, deep bark. Creeps breaking in hate any dog. They know that some of the smallest ones bite the hardest and the noise from the bark will ususally make them pick an easier target.

Guns: I'm very pro-gun but unlike some, I don't think they are for everyone. I sort of laugh when I hear people say get a gun and do alot of target practicing to get prepared for an incident. You can shoot bullzeyes into those fixed, silhouette targets all day and it has NOTHING to do with shooting someone breaking into your house other than getting you a little familiar with the weapon. If you are ever in that situation you wont' have time to assume a perfect stance, take a deep breath and slowly squeeze the trigger...In fact you probably won't have time to do anything but point without using sights and shoot. If you want to enter the olympics go learn to target shoot the silhouettes. If you want to learn to use the gun for self defense (as in this case) you need to go learn how to combat shoot. They are two differnt worlds. If you do shoot remember....FTFF...If anyone wants to know what that stands for, PM me lol.

Alarms: I don't know whether to laugh or cry whenever I see those ADT commercials come on TV. They are almost completely worthless from my experience. The commercial shows an alert, highly trained technician talking to you from the alarm control center. In real life, most of them are idiots and barely know what they are doing. I've never understood the concept of they get an intrusion alarm from your house then they call you to see if everything is ok before they send the police. If you give them the proper passcode and tell them everything is ok, they don't dispatch any help...Nevermind the guy with his arm around you and the knife to your throat who made you tell them your passcode! Jesus. Also, I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but police don't come racing to your house with lights and sirens on when they get an alarm call at your residence like in the commercial. Most PD's of any size have alot more calls than they have cops and residential alarms aren't a huge priority. I'm not saying it's necessarily right, but it's true. Your response time maybe a bit better if you live in a small town or somewhere where law enforcement isn't usually quite as busy. As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of the alarm and trust me, I know very few police officers who have one on their homes even though they are often leaving families home at night while they are working. If they make you feel better though, get one. The one positive is you might get a discount on your homeowners insurance or whatever, I guess.

Quote:
Lights: I'm very pro-light. Have lots of them around the exterior of your house that are on motion sensors. Creeps hate lights like they hate barking dogs (for the one poster who has to disagree with me on almost everything cause I didn't sugar coat something enough, agree with his political agenda or something months ago, I realize not every incident happens after dark and lights won't always help. I got it)
Get to know your neighbors! Be a little nosy (in a good way) and ask each other to keep their eyes on your place. I've got some elderly ones next door nosy as hell about what we are doing. But I love it cause they watch my place. They are also super nice. Here in the midwest, we still generally get to know our neighbors....When I lived on the west coast, uhh not so much which is too bad. AGAIN, I know there are exceptions!

Pepper Spray: I dig the pepper spray especially for folks who aren't so big on guns. Get a few of those huge, Dog the Bounty Hunter, fire extinguisher sized ones and put them around your house. The only drawback is you will get at least some of it yourself when you use it but it's still pretty good.

SAFES: Probably the best most underused thing there is to protect your property. I don't get why people spend over a hundred thousand bucks on homes but don't put in a safe. Invest in a fairly large safe, bolt it to the floor and you can put your guns (if you have any), valuables, important papers and anything else in them. You can really make it so it's almost worthless to them if someone enters your home by utilizing a safe. They are almost as fullproof as you can get so instead of that alarm system, get a safe instead!!
I was awake and in the living room with the lights and tv on. The patio where the door is that he was trying to enter was lit. My patio light is on every night. It seems the lights did not deter this person at all. I am away at least 2 nights every week at my job. I think this person knows that. When I sat down and thought about things I remembered other things I noticed recently. Came home one morning and noticed the gate to the patio was open. I never leave it open because I let my cat out there and I do not want her to wander off. Most recently the slider was unlocked when I got home. I was sure I checked it before I left. Nothing was missing. My computer was here and my laptop was still where I keep it. I dont have a lot of expensive electronics. Most of my jewelry has more sentimental value than monetary value. So if the entry was not to take everything then what? Someone looking for a place to crash? My bedroom always seems the same as when I left it. I have a very strong feeling that this person lives in this apartment complex. WhenI am out I always look for the sweat suit he was wearing that night.

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old January 13th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board

Quote:

I was awake and in the living room with the lights and tv on. The patio where the door is that he was trying to enter was lit. My patio light is on every night. It seems the lights did not deter this person at all. I am away at least 2 nights every week at my job. I think this person knows that. When I sat down and thought about things I remembered other things I noticed recently. Came home one morning and noticed the gate to the patio was open. I never leave it open because I let my cat out there and I do not want her to wander off. Most recently the slider was unlocked when I got home. I was sure I checked it before I left. Nothing was missing. My computer was here and my laptop was still where I keep it. I dont have a lot of expensive electronics. Most of my jewelry has more sentimental value than monetary value. So if the entry was not to take everything then what? Someone looking for a place to crash? My bedroom always seems the same as when I left it. I have a very strong feeling that this person lives in this apartment complex. WhenI am out I always look for the sweat suit he was wearing that night.

Laura
Always trust your instincts and I bet your one about it being someone from your complex is a correct one...Wouldn't be too surprised either if it was someone intoxicated who came to the wrong door...Heck, I've done it!...It was a long time ago, I swear! lol. Hope you either have or will get something to give yourself an edge...The large peppersprays that I mentioned above might be good if you aren't comfortable with the gun thing.
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Admiral

I am not comfortable with guns at all. The pepper spray sounds reasonable and I will go off to WalMart to get some. I used to carry mace when I lived in NH. My sister worked for the corrections department and always got some for my Mother and I. As for it being a drunk at the wrong door. When I saw this person walking away I did not get the sense of a man that had been drinking. No stumble or hesitation in his step. I dealt with that for too long not to recognize the signs.

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old January 13th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Ready2board and/or Mehawk what do you think about security cameras? Some dummy and others hidden? If someone was to break in you might get a good shot on camera. In the instance of a safe it protects your things once he breaks in. But it doesn't stop him from breaking in.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Ready2board and/or Mehawk what do you think about security cameras? Some dummy and others hidden? If someone was to break in you might get a good shot on camera. In the instance of a safe it protects your things once he breaks in. But it doesn't stop him from breaking in.
Kat:

Good point about the safes. They are definitely for property protection only and I guess the post is really more about personal protection.

The cameras are definitely good and really not as costly as everyone thinks. One problem I've seen is some people don't maintain the system very well especially the VCR its connected to. There is also a huge difference in the video quality and it's one of those things you will have to pay a bit more for good quality. I'm always amazed at some of the lousy video from bank robberies because certain banks are too cheap to splurge for the good system. I guess the main drawback is it's a little like the safe...Doesn't do much for your immediate personal protection.

I don't really believe in dummy anything. I know some people put up dummy cameras, beware of the dogs signs even when there is no dog and all kinds of stuff...Personally, I don't believe in making the "threat" (for lack of a better word) if there isn't truly something there to back it up.
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Alarms are very effective where I live. It' townhouses and trust me, if your dog farts to loud the neighbourhood comes and checks, and when some ones alarm goes off, which is exceptionally rare, every one peeps out. People know that. I have lived here 20 years, there are over 400 homes in this complex, we had two robberies, one of them was the guys own son...........and he was such a proffessional, he broke the glass from the inside out...........and the other was a stollen car.......and that was clearly the daughters boyfriend. My alarm went off once when I first got it, by accident, unfortunately the police came quite quickly and I was left rather embarressed telling him the dog set off the motion detector that I hadn't set properly........thankfully they knew me from the public safety committee and I didnt get a ticket although they did take great pains to ask me how my criminal was doing every time they saw me....aka the dog. ( we can get tickets here for false alarms, but usually it is only after the first one in 12 months) This year we also had a car dealership in the area robbed, and they parked nine cars over here that were stollen..............again, nosey neighbours, we know which cars belong and which don't.............and the tow trucks were here within hours towing cars without proper parking passes....................and then so were the police when the realized it was the stollen cars! Guns.........no thanks, never in my home. Safe, I have one, but it is for fire protection ( although thats limited) more than any thing. As for dogs, well I got to tell ya, any one who doesnt know mine would be scared out of their pants to see those three idiots jumping up and down at the doors yapping like crazed fools..............Ah shelties...........
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Identity theft is a possibility. Check your credit reports......MD
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeythyme
Is it possibly someone who lives in the community? No screening process known can screen out all the potential criminals, especially when there are people with six-figure incomes losing their jobs.
I'm thinking a maintenance person or perhaps even the "cable guy?" If it wasn't someone inside the community, how would they have gotten past the gatehouse? After all, a gatehouse is the benefit to living in a gated community. You should be a bit safer from crime there.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeythyme
Quote:
I'm thinking a maintenance person or perhaps even the "cable guy?"
If it wasn't someone inside the community, how would they have gotten past the gatehouse? After all, a gatehouse is the benefit to living in a gated community. You should be a bit safer from crime there.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I know it was not maintenance or the cable man at 4:15 AM. My feeling is he does live here in the community.

Laura
---Mark Twain