Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Admiral

OMG, opened CM's to find this. Can't imagine your sense of loss. Please know our thoughts and prayers are with your and yours at this time of grief. God Bless!

Carnival Glory
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Beginner

Luanne,

I rarely post but read the boards daily. I am so sorry to read of your loss. No mother should have to bury their child. May God comfort you and your family during this difficult time. God Bless.

Laurie
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Again, I have to tell you what a great feeling it is to read all the wonderful thoughts. When things get to much for me, I steal away, to read what you all have written.

Tomorrow is the viewing, and will probably be the worst yet. I have still not been able to see him. The director was not sure they could fix him up enough for everyone to see, but they are trying. I will see him, no matter what.

The memorial site has been set up. Go to mem.com He is listed there was Joseph, and since there are several, you will have to go by age. (he is 20)

Tonight we picked up my brother who flew in from Atlanta. Tomorrow night, we pick up Jim's brothers and sister. His mother is on a cruise, and does not know what has happened. I wanted her to be told, but was over ruled.

They have a warrant for the man who did this, but last we heard, they had not picked him up.

Please pray extra hard for tomorrow. I can feel your prayers.

Love to you all,

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Admiral

This is a better way to reach it.

http://mem.com/ViewTextTributes.aspx?ID=2803138
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old January 13th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Admiral

Luanne, I am with you.

You have a heart of gold which is strong and long lasting and he will live on in there.

P.S. I saw your message early on, but took all this time to pluck up the courage to post you a message.

LB

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Admiral

I woke up a few minutes ago, thinking we were still on the ship. I knew we were stopped, so I wondered what port we were in.

Now that I am somewhat awake, I realize where I am, and what we have lost.

Oh God, How am I going to get through the next couple of days, much less the rest of my life.

How am I going to put my precious baby in the ground? I keep telling myself this just isn't normal.

God Help me. It hurts so bad.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old January 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Luanne,

If I coudl be there to hold you and hug you I would. Please gather strength from our words. We are praying so hard for the Lord to give you strength to make it through these days. Please know we love you and your family very much.

May the peace of the Lord be with you Always.

Melody
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Dear Luanne, I have never lost a son, but I know that feeling of simply not knowing how I'm going to put one foot in front of the other, because the pain is so great. God will supply your strength, one breath at a time. I continue praying for you and your family.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Luanne, you are a strong woman, who has built a strong family, but this is a trial by fire and simply getting out of bed in the morning is a victory right now. Remember, your baby has gone to his reward. What's left behind is an empty shell. He is with you, in your heart and with his heavenly Father.

You can come here and share your pain, we're here to lift you up. Your son's spirit is with you and you will never be given more than you can handle, but this is the ultimate challenge. You will rise to it, as you do in every area of your life.

Remember Job, when he had lost everything he loved. After all he went through, he eventually came to a point of peace and understanding. Hang in there. We're praying for you. This is a terrible awful challenge, but you can do it.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I am glad you have your faith, family and friends to help you through. I am also glad they have already arrested the suspect and hope he gets his justice. I held my sons close last night and told them someone needed our prayers.

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Admiral

I truly understand your needing to forgive, for it is in forgiving that we recieve forgivness...and it is in forgiving that we heal and regain peace.

Now is the time to stand on every scripture you know - claim the promises written in the Word and cling to His everloving hand.

I put you and your family on our Church prayer chain on Friday and on a friends Church prayer chain in New Brunswick.

Always know I am here - we are here, for as long as you need us.
PM me if you need to ...what ever.

When my dh's cousin was murdered a few years back with it came so many different emotions than just the loss of a loved one. I can't begin to know what you are feeling, but I do know that thru Christ we are victorious.
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I am working on forgiving Markieh Jaquan Thompson for what he has done. It will do us no good to have such hate in my heart. It takes to much out of you, to hate. Jim and my son feel differently.
That is amazing and profound Luanne. What a huge leap. Give your son and Jim time to heal, they too may come to the point where they can offer forgiveness.

Old January 13th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug
Default son

Luanne

You and your family have suffered a tragic and horrible loss, my heart and prayers go out to you and your family. Now this person will have to deal with not only the justice system but his maker. May the Lord be with you in this horrible time

Andy

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:17 PM
First Mate

Oh Luanne, I just learned the news and I am profoundly sorry for your loss. You will certainly be in my prayers, as well. May the Lord hold you in the palm of His hand through this terrible tragedy. Love from all.
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Luanne............everyone has to grieve & forgive in thier own way.....I can understand yours.......

I looked at the movie on the memorial site.....I almost feel I know Joe.....it was very touching........

You can come here anytime you want.....we'll always be here for you......

Sharon
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Luanne, thank you for allowing us a glimpse into Joe's circle of of friends and family. It is obvious he is loved by many, and will be missed by so many more..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 13th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Luanne,
My heart aches with pain for you as you and your beautiful family go through this loss of your son. God continually puts you on my heart, and I am holding you up in prayer. Your place in our little "family" here is a special place, and I know that we are feeling the need to reach out to each other as we deal with this sad sad news.

My church is going through a 3 day fast and prayer time right now. Yesterday I joined in with them for the first time, and many of those prayers were for you. I will put you all on the prayer chain too.

You are right about the forgiveness part, and maybe God will do a great work in this other man's life, but God will undertand your anger and all of your other feelings as you heal. Keep looking up, and keep your focus on the one who knows the pain of losing a son and the one who will ultimately heal you.

Phyll
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:39 PM
First Mate

Dear Luanne,
Thank you for posting Joe's memorial web site. What a bright and handsome young man you had. I am glad the person who did that has been arrested. Let's hope he gets a just sentence. I do feel you are right about forgiveness. Otherwise the pain will hurt so bad. To everything there is a season...and a time for every purpose under heaven.
(((LUANNE))) Please know we are here for you whenever you need us.

jojo
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Admiral

Luanne - I'm adding my prayers to all the others. Joe is in a better place now and he's watching over you. May God bless you and your family.
Jane

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Admiral

I am happy, as much as one can be in this situation, that the shooter is in custody. Hopefully, if you and Jim believe in the death penalty, that monster will get that conviction and verdict as a punishment for his crime. I know that will not bring Joe back to you but it can help in the healing process. I can appreciate both sides of the penalty I have suggested. You have a loss of a child, but by putting the shooter to death, another mother will lose her child. I am not, by any part of the imagination, condoning what he did, remember, I spent a career in law enforcement so I have been there and can speak of it.

You were there for me in my time of need, and I am here for you and Jim in your time of need. My most deeply felt prayers are out to you both to help ease the pain. I will also put you two on my church's prayer chain list for help.

Good luck to you both and God's many blessings to you both.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Admiral

Luanne, I too looked at all the wonderful photo memories of Joe, his family and friends, including the cruses you took together.
But there was one missing, and it is the one I will remember Joe most vividly by - the one you posted last year, of your son, painted "Smurf" blue,
playing the part of Aladdin in a theatre production.
Somehow, I feel that photo personified Joe, a happy-go-lucky, devil-may-care young man, with so much zest for life.
May you always hold on to him through your memories of happier times.....

donna
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Luanne, today my thoughts are with you. I hope you and your family can find the strength to cope.

Old January 14th, 2009, 08:03 AM
First Mate

Luanne,

I know today will be so very hard for you, you are in my prayers and thoughts all the time.

Hold your memories of Joe close today Luanne, they will give you strength.

Gail

Old January 14th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Luanne; My thoughts and prayers are with you today. There are no words that will take the pain away...i just pray you find some peace.
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Good morning everyone.

We had a wonderful turn out last night. Clearly over 3 hundred people. Once this is over I will come back and tell you all, but right now I have to focus on today.

Michael I do believe in the death penalty. But, as I told a reporter yesterday, I cannot think of Joe's killer right now.

I want my baby to have the spotlight one more day, before the stage lights are turned off for the last time.

I know that we are on prayer chains all over the world today, and believe me they have helped so much.

Today, I will try to speak, along with his pall bearers, on what Joe was like. My brother says I won't be able to get through it, but today is Joe's Academy Awards day, and he would want me to talk for him.

I Love You all.

Luanne and family
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old January 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Luanne, May the Lord give you the strength to get through today. As you stated it is Joe's Academy Awards day. But you alone are not his voice today his friends are also his voice. And may the many friends give you, Jim and Josh strength.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Admiral

Print this article Email this article Add to Del.iciou.us

Cove man dead after Austin shooting
Posted on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 4:52 AM
By Alicia Lacy
Killeen Daily Herald

An outpouring of support and messages were posted on a Copperas Cove man's Myspace page after an arrest was made in Austin's first homicide of the year, which occurred Sunday.

Joseph Daniel Russo, 20, of Copperas Cove, was shot by another man during a fight. He died after he was transferred to University Medical Center at Brackenridge.

Markieh Jaquaan Thompson, 20, was arrested Monday by Corpus Christi police and charged with first-degree murder. Thompson was being held at Nueces County Jail on $80,000 bond.

Sgt. Joseph Chacon of the Austin Police Department's Homicide Unit said he was anticipating Thompson's transfer to Austin on Tuesday.

Russo graduated from Copperas Cove High School in 2007 and was a theater arts major at Central Texas College.

According to Chacon, Russo was at a party at Longhorn Landing Apartments in the 4700 block of Riverside Drive.

An altercation occurred between Russo and another person at the party. The individual reportedly called a group, which included Thompson, who later arrived at the apartment complex.

The fighting moved into the parking lot where Russo was shot, Chacon said.

Austin police received several 911 calls regarding the shots fired. When police arrived, they found Russo in the parking lot. Austin-Travis County EMS responded to the scene and transported Russo to Brackenridge.

After hearing witness accounts, Chacon said he determined that Thompson was the main suspect.

With the help of the Lonestar Fugitives Taskforce, APD was able to track Thompson down at a Corpus Christi mall.

"It was so by surprise. This was the last place he certainly expected law enforcement to be looking at him and he was rather at ease, and rather, for lack of better words, comfortable in his environment at the time. It would be my estimation that he had no idea we were on to him in Corpus Christi," U.S. Marshal Hector Gomez said about Thompson's arrest.

Chacon said Austin police would rule out the possibility of charging others in the death.

Funeral services for Russo are scheduled for this morning at Crawford-Bowers Funeral Home in Copperas Cove.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old January 14th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Admiral

I don't understand now someone can take another person's life over an argument. I can't understand the pain you are feeling now. I'm so sorry this happened. I will keep you in my thoughts today as you go through this difficult time.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Admiral

WE are almost ready to go.

It is time to let him go. I am so tired, and have cried so much.

A friend called me a few minutes ago, and told me how proud she was of me last night. She said I hugged over 300 people, and each one I was concerned about them, instead of myself. Joe got that from me. That is just the way I am. So, I guess I was speaking for him.

I saw the shooters face on the Internet this morning. He is just a baby. Some one's else's child.

Please walk with me this next couple of hours. I will take you with me, in my heart. When I can't go on, I will wrap each of you around my shoulders.

I Love you all,

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old January 14th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Luanne, although I am in Alabama right now, I am with you every step you take today. Let the love of others envelope you today and give you strength.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13