Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Captain

Default Hello Monday

Yes it is Monday and for us still in the work force, it is time to rool out of bed, wipe the sleep from our eyes, and start a new day and a new work. For those of you are lucky retired, it is time to wake up roll out of bed have a leisure cup of coffee or OJ and start on the Honey Do List. For every one dream of your next cruise.

High Ho, High Ho, it's off to work I go!!!

Have a great Alabama Day.

Irish 8

May God grant you many years to live,
For sure he must be knowing.
The earth has angels all too few.
And heaven is overflowing.
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Irish and all who follow.

Today for us and inasmuch as I'm retired, it's High! Ho! Hi! HO! It's off to Pigeon Forge we go to spend the day.

Only around 75 miles from us, Pigeon Forge is seven miles from Gatlinburg Tn which has been a tourist town since the inception of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Gatlinburg has always been subdued and reserved though certainly not haughty. Pigeon Forge, however has developed into somewhat of an embarrassing cousin having become a tourist mecca given over to miles of malls and strip malls, outlets, water parks, rides, theaters presenting famous name musical attractions etc. along it's strip and even expanding off of it. There are dozens and dozens of motels and hotels accompanied by of course, Dollywood.

Pigeons Forge is Kinda' like Branson Missouri. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised were the idea for Branson to have originated with Pigeon Forge. This is the time of year to go if you live nearby because all of the "flatland touristers" as Snuffy Smith calls 'em, have all gone home and one can get a pretty nice motel room for as little as 35 bucks. While of course the majority of the attractions are closed, all the stores and restaurants remain open and that includes Books-A-Million! and a couple of discount book warehouses!!!

I have a photograph of Fran standing alongside our brandy new 1974 metallic brown Olds Cutlass Supreme with an off white Landau roof. That shot is taken on the four lane that was new that runs through Pigeon Forge. Although taken in what is today the center of all the hoopla, you could have then taken a cannon and fired it in any direction you wished and never hit anything back then, at least until the round finally hit a nearby mountain or foothill.

I would be most remiss in ending this morning's post without again expressing my and Fran's sincerest condolences to Luanne and her family at this extremely difficult time. Please know Luanne, that our prayers continue your way.

As is de rigeur, prayers continue for all others who need them as well and Blessings upon each of you.

Todd
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Good Morning, It continues to be very cold, but the sun really felt warm yesterday. It is nice to feel the days get longer again. Slowly getting house work done , have a ton of work related paper work to do today. Will take care of a couple of legal things for "the kid" concerning his mothers estate, and do a couple of things a friend needs who lost her husband last week. He literally sneezed, looked up and passed away. The news seems filled with very sad news lately, includng Luannes son. It reminds me very much of my cousin , who was murdered over a few dollars. He was working in the evening and was robbed. Even though it happened along time ago, you never quite forget that. These kids are so young and so vulnerable. I some times hate when my DS works late at the coffee shop. I just try not to think about it. I am sure this is very hard for Luanne and her family. Well, Have a good day every one.
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Ok, someone turn off the snow machine please! Seems every few days, the white stuff is falling! In N.H., they had a 59 car pile up on the highway....how scary

If I feel like moving today, there are a few errands to run, if not I can have a snow day, remember that feeling from the "olden days?"

Luanne, my thoughts have been with you since I read your post yesterday. Please know how many people are doing the same.

Make it a god one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 12th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates,

My heart is overwhelmed as I write this morning. So many of my friends, be they from Cruisemates, or Facebook or my day to day life are facing so many sad situations. My tears and prayers are mingling with yours, and all I can do is trust that you will be filled with hope and peace and strength.

I have a lot to accomplish today, but my enthusiasm is underwhelming.
I will try to "get it together".

Todd - have fun in Pigeon Ford - we went once when we picked up my dd from college - I spent my Birthday at Dollywood and the Dixie Stampede.
I loved driving the mountain road up there. It was a pretty drive, tho' the town was a little overwhelming to me - very busy up there.

Hoping today brings some joyfull news for someone to share with us.

Prayer for so many of you
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from Montreal, where my heart is heavy today with pain for what Luanne must be going through.
I dare not complain about the fact it's Monday, or it's -12C, or I'm tired....
suddenly, it doesn't seem important.

Luanne, please know we are all thinking of you, share your grief, and wish you peace.

donna
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Good Morning my very dear friends!
Today entails a trip to the dentist for the kids. They actually look forward to going to the dentist. D/s has pestered me over the past couple of weeks to make the appointment so his teeth will nice and white for our upcoming cruise. OK that works for me. D/D wants to go because her big brother is going and if he gets to do something, so does she. So what's a few hundred dollars to keep keep peace in the family and teeth in their heads?

Todd, I have to admit it, we really enjoy Dollywood, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. We took d/s there for his 5th birthday. We rented a cabin up in the mountains, the view was stunning. We were so high up, it felt like we were in a tree house, if you looked out the window too long you would find your body swaying in unison with the tree tops blowing in the breeze. It was almost hypnotic. We stayed in Sevierville a couple of times last year when passing through with the fifth wheel. Very lovely area.

I can not get Luannes son out of my mind. My heart is heavy for her. We live in such a violent world and some people just don't value life or care that so many times the person they are killing is the center of someone else's world, so they are not killing just one person, they are ripping apart families, breaking the hearts of people whose lives will be forever changed and scarred by the loss of someone dear. I worked with a lady in Phoenix back in the 80's. She had the most beautiful little girls, with striking red hair and the sweetest little smiles. The little girls grew up as all children do. Left to pursue jobs and go to University. I was saddened to hear that one of the girls was living in New Orleans (pre-katrina) attending school, and she had a part time job waitressing at Crescent City Brewery (used to be one of my favorite hangouts in the day) and one night was robbed on her way home. The girl was always pretty gutsy, but made a huge mistake by refusing to hand over her purse. The guy shot her for a measly $25 she had made in tips that night. They were able to keep Alyssa alive until her parents arrived from Phoenix. All one can do is sit there and shake your head and ask why someone thinks this beautiful young woman's life was only worth a few dollars. Sad, very sad. and it is a bell that can't be unrung. Her mother Gina, has rebuilt her life and has carried on for the sake of her other children, but there is nothing that can fill that void.
I sat last night and read things that Luanne had posted about her son Joe. How proud she was of his grades, he got a 3.9 GPA, and how he was doing with his job last year at summer camp, and he offered to load Luannes MP3 player with her favorite music... just little things like that give you a glimpse into the relationship of a mother and son. It is obvious he was very loved and I pray that whoever took this boy away from his Mother and Father is apprehended and dealt the most severe penalty available. Luanne hang in there, you're on my mind and in my prayers.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Good morning from the sunshine state. I have not read Luannes post but will do in a minute.

Not much going in here except a trip to the store to buy note books with my daughter. She is at home today as the school is closed for some sort of an event.

This weekend was very quiet and I enjoyed it. I think I will do a repeater next weekend.

I am flying to CO next month which means we will not be cruising. But daughter is more important to see I am also looking forward the snow a little bit.

Have a great day mates
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest..............no snow or rain.......all is good in the weather department..........

It's Monday so that means laundry...........oh joy.......

Luanne.........you & your family are in our prayers.......we are here......

Y'all have a good day............

Sharon
Old January 12th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone:

It's been a busy morning so far. I woke up around 6:00 a.m. and smelled the smell that many IT people hate. The smell of burnt electronics.

I went down to the "computer room" and one of my server's drives had fried. Luckily it is part of a RAID array so no interruption of service. RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disk) is where you have multiple disks in your system in the event one goes bad the others will still function with no loss of data or service. I still had to wake Betty up and make a run to the electronics store and pickup a replacement. Once we got home it was less than an hour that the disk was replaced, all of the drives were again synchronized and all back to normal. There is nothing like redundancy and back ups.

My thoughts go out to Luanne and the family and I give nothing but best wishes to them at this time. My brother-in-law was killed in a store robbery in 1995 and I have an "idea" how she feels but losing a child is the worst thing that can happen.

To everyone, I hope you have a fantastic Monday and a great week.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Default Hello Monday

Good morning from Southern California. VERY dry here and some areas have strong winds, so the fire alerts get extended.

I, too, am thinking about Luanne and her family.
Todd, I've never been to the area in TN that you speak of. Sounds fun, though.

There's lots on my agenda today, including a visit to the nurse to get some diabetes eduction and get scheduled for a round of five classes for same. Maybe getting some of my questions answered will soothe my poor nerves.

Keith will go to the gym and then accompany me to the clinic.

Have a good day.

Judy
Old January 12th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! We've got a heat wave coming to Calgary. Temps in the 40s F today, and tomorrow could reach 50!!!

I've got a list of errands to run to take care of some things for my mother. This afternoon I pick up her new live in, and take her over to try and help her settle in.

Then an office depot run for some supplies.

Lots to do for someone who'd been hibernating because of the cold weather.
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:48 PM
First Mate

Dear Mates,

I just got home from a busy Monday at school. It is still cold here, but luckily no fresh snow. I am preparing a warm macaroni dish for dinner.
DH likes leftovers for when I am at work.

Judy, I hope you got a good prognosis today. Todd...your trip sounds like fun for you and Fran. Have a good evening mates. Our thoughts continue to be with Luanne and her family.

jojo