Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Captain

Default Thursday, We're almost there

Good Morning All y'all

Yes my friends it is Thursday and another day closer to the week-end and a three day weekend to boot.

Well we cannot wait for Saturday, we final will break the 30 day barrier.

It is cold for us here in the south 34 degrees.....Brrrrr with a high expected to hit the 60's come on heat. No have growning up in the Midwest right off of Lake Michigan with there dreaded lake effect weather I know that it is not cold. I walk around at work in a T-shirt and short sleeve shirt and my southern friends just shake their head. Evan after almost 15 years of living in the south, they still refer to me as the "Crazy Yankee". According to they if you were not born here then you will never be from around these parts. Makes us wonder.

Oh Well

You all have a great Alabama Day.

Irish 8)
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been
the foresight to know where you're going
and the insight to know when you're going too far.
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning from the "Land of 10,000 Icicles". It is a beautiful -26 outside. Kramer (the dog) did his business in record time this morning. I thought about what a bummer it would be if someone made me go outside in -26F to squat and do my business. Dogs don't always have it easy.

Irish: When I lived in Birmingham I found the same thing you have. If you are from the north you will always be a Yankee. Actually there were two classifications; Yankee is someone who comes and visits and a Damn Yankee is someone who stays. I do have to say that once you were accepted people were some of the friendliest I've found.

I hope everyone has a great Thursday and stay warm.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Irish, Mike and all our Cruisemates who follow.

Winter has again returned to East Tennessee although not nearly to the degree it has up in Mike's neck of the woods or even where I used to prowl. The current temp of 29F may well be today's high. The low tonight is to fall into the single digits with a windchill of below zero. That is definitely cold for this part of the country.

I am extremely glad we are now living back down South. I remember those days as a Range Officer standing outside on firing lines dug out from hip deep snow. The temps hovered around 10 below (before figuring in any wind chill) with a strong breeze blowing. I would yell out, " Is the line ready? the line is ready! Ready on the right! Ready on the left! Ready on the firing left!" and then jerk out my whistle (which while worn around the neck, was kept under your clothes atop your undershirt 'cause if you didn't, you face the distinct possibility of the old "tongue on the iron pole" effect). And out there we stayed for the entire day, going inside only for lunch (well we instructors stayed out...the recruits could go in after their line was completed......always found something unfair there ).

I also urge everyone to please insure any outdoor pets that you may own have proper shelter (preferrably a heated garage, or failing that an insulated dog house containing straw bedding or blankets or a barn with lots of hay for bedding). Also please remember to frequently replenish their fresh water as of course water bowls quickly freeze. This is one area where even responsible pet owners sometimes slide. Of course the best thing is to bring them inside your home when undergoing a severe cold snap. The way Mike keeps Kramer is an absolutely perfect example. As a matter of fact I'm surprised Mike that you haven't gone to the trouble to construct an enclosed heated dog walk connected to your house ......................................for your benefit, that is!

Blessings on each of you, prayers for those needing them and of course, special prayers continue for Luanne, Jim and their family.

Todd
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Good Morning All - it seems to be cold everywhere - I'm reporting in at
-3 degrees with the windchill at -10 to -25 degrees and our high today might reach 13 degrees!! We all know this can't last forever and we could all be in worse situations!!

Anyway, I do hope everyone is taking every precaution to stay safe and warm in this weather as well as looking out for our neighbors. Have a great day, stay warm - think cruising!!
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Can I sleep until next week? No I guess not but that is what I would like to do. It is quite cold and I have a hard time with that, as it is painful to breathe nd my hands and feet get cold, and when they start to thaw out, it becomes so painful. Neuropathy will do that. Yesterday was a long and hard day and to top it off, an old lady helping her equally old and terminally ill husband back up into my bumper and punched a hole into it with her hitch. I dont know if it can be repaired in spring, as it is a good chunk, or if I need a new bumper. The actual Bumper bar is fne. ( it was so cold, the plastic bumpers just snap with preasure especally a point like a hitch). The poor women, she just broke down and cried and cried. I thought to myself, this is my act of random kindness. I told her to put away her papers, it was no big deal, I could get it fixed for near nothing, to go on, get a cup of tea and have a good day. I know them as they always have appointments when my mother goes, they dont have much money, I knew that, and some times you just let it go. If I need it replaced, it will be a few hundred dollars, I will see about it today. Not worth claiming as the rates will go up and the deductable is 500$. If any one knows me and my car.........I don't like when it is damaged. Oh well, first the garage takes off the door when they change my breaks, and now a new bumper, gee, if I keep on like this, I will have a new car in parts soon. My mother is doing so so. She is clearly not doing as well. It's very hard to watch, but we are doing the best that we can. Have a great day every one.
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from Montreal, where I agree with Delft - can I hibernate until next week - or maybe even spring?
Brrrrr! it is cold out there! I don't know how cold, because the Weather Eye service on my computer is not working - probably frozen!!

Needless to say, we are not taking the kids out to play this week, so that makes for some very loud, restless, rambunctious kids, and everybody seems to be leaving late lately, so I am stuck at work extra late every night.
I cannot wait till spring!

Luanne, I was thinking of you all day yesterday, wishing you strength to get through the day. As you are returning to the "scene of the crime" today, I wish you more strength to get through yet another difficult day. Please know our thoughts and prayers are with you, and if you need to vent, we are here...

donna
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates,

As most of you have reported, it is cold...-20 at my house. No snow yet, but it is on the way we will be getting it...yippee, not

Working from home today, then have a doctor's appointment, then pool therapy, if I get out of the doctor's on time (which is doubtful).

Last night it was so cold - poor dh got called out for a broken pole - hours in the frigid temps.

Continuing to pray for Luanne -

Delft - your kindness will come back to you of that I am sure.

Wishing you all "warm" thoughts today
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Delft, you are my hero. I am so impressed with the way you handle all of these things that come flying at you, one after the other. Most folks would be having their 3rd or 4th breakdown by now. Not only do you handle it, you handle it graciously.

Oh today I really wish I was in Dixie. I am not a cold weather creature at all. I guess with obstacles, comes opportunity though. I forced the fam to brave the elements late yesterday and go shopping for a new washer with me. I enticed them all with bribes. D/D got to pick out a new babydoll, d/s got to pick out a new game for the Nintendo DS. D/H and I got sushi for dinner and to top it all off I got a new washer, of which I have been lusting, since shortly after we bought the one we have now, because I really hate it. Well I had in my mind I either wanted a Bosch, an LG or a Samsung. One of those Eurostyle front loaders. My MIL has a Miele which is the type that you found on the new NCL ships (that is until they recently removed all their laundries :evil: ) and it is deluxe. But I refuse to spend $2000 on a machine, no matter how great it is. So I went to Lowes. They had a nice Bosch, but I would have to order it. The kid told me all of it's features and stuff, sounded good but they didn't have it in stock and it had to be ordered. So then we went to Sears to see if they had the Bosch. They had it but it wasn't in stock and found out the kid at Lowes had given us the description for the wrong washer, it really didn't have a lot of the features he said it did. So I looked around and the young man at Sears who was very knowledgeable about his products told me why I was making a mistake by considering LG and Samsung. They have a lot of returns on them I guess and many problems with them walking during spin cycle. Finally I spied a very nice looking machine tucked in the corner. It was a Kenmore He5t. It had everything I wanted. The biggest capacity at 4.4 cubic feet, spins up to 1300 rpm, steam cycle to steam clean difficult stains, a delayed cycle to add Oxy type cleaner etc... Anyhow we nearly froze to death trying to load it into the truck it was so cold, I couldn't feel my fingers. But I got such a deal it was originally $1600, I got it for $600. So today I will be evicting the old washer and installing the new one. While I have everything pulled out, I will replace the dryer vent hose and vacuum the hole out to prevent a fire from lint build up. Then maybe I will be able to get caught up on laundry now. A girl can hope! The plan is, express wash take 30 minutes, and I am hoping the clothes should come out nearly dry and will hopefully dry much quicker. So if I can do it right, I am hoping to turn out 2 loads an hour... I'll let you know how it goes. I really don't think anyone cares too much about my laundry adventures but I have to admit... getting to the bottom of the clothes pile seems very exciting to me .
My thoughts continue to be with Luanne and her family as they bravely face a new day.
I hope you all have a terrific Thursday!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yea, can't wait for the week-end here, should warm-up into the 20's, major heat wave. We're hoping to reach zero here today, but at least the sun is out :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest...............warm here still.......upper 30's right now.....suppose to make the low 50's for the highhs......I'll take it.........sorry for you Mid westerners & Northe Easterners.......that's cold...

Not too much going on today...........

BW.....that's the kind of washer I want.......but I have to wait til mine at least shows some signs of not working........

Luanne........you're in our prayers & thoughts......

Y'all have a good day & stay warm..................

Sharon
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
I decided to do my errands yesterday so I could cocoon today. I hit 2 CVS stores and hit the 90% off sale. Lo and behold, I found one package of peppermint flavored star shaped peeps!!!! Needless to say, I ate them all very quickly and was racked by guilt My diet was off for the amount of time it took to swallow the 9 gorgeous stars!! yum is all I can sayI also got packages of white tissue paper for 19 cents..I bought 20
If you get a gift from me, know it will be tissued in white

I need to clean out the fridge, for the upcoming dreaded food shopping amd while I am at it, I will clean the kitchen......

Luanne, one day at a time, and baby steps, your strength, will carry you through.

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 15th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Good morning all. It's cold here also. The really cold (for us) will come in tonight with a low in the 20's and only a high of 40's tomorrow with high winds predicted. I think I'll stay around the house.

For all my facebook friends, I am really enjoying getting to play around with ya'll.

I use to be able to pop over to photobucket and pick out a good morning post picture to share, now most of them would get me kicked off CM's for good if I posted them, so no morning pix until I can find some "decent" ones.

Everyone have a great day.

Need some cruise help?
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! The jet stream that dropped far to the south, creating much of the frigid weather for you down south and east, actually have the temps in Calgary rising. 50s F forecast by tomorrow and through the weekend.

Dec. here was ugly, with record snow. Now that it's warming the melting is creating streets clogged with impassable snow and flooding.
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Good morning fellow cruisemates from still chilly, Virginia Beach. Yes, ol' man winter has hit the Tidewater area with a revenge! Laziness over took me this morning and I slept in, did some washing and cleaning and will show up at work earlier today since Rob has and appointment with his cardiologist in the late afternoon. Yes, Tripp, there is nothing like getting a great deal; a friend of mine collects snowmen and I bought her a wreath with a snowman on it at Rite Aid for 90% off. "Such a deal".
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Default Thursday, We're Almost There

Good morning from Southern California. Wow, -26, that's ugly! We continue to have temps in the mid-eighties and continue to hope that w don't get any fires. The fire alerts have been extended through the weekend.

Nothing on the calendar today. I am grateful.

Have a good day, all.

Judy
Old January 15th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug
Default Thursday

Good day Mates

So Happy Its Thursday. Its a bit nippy her today in Northest PA. 6 degrees with awind chill of -18. Im keeping warm thinking of our trip on Valor in 10 days.I hope you all have a great day

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:38 PM
First Mate

Dear Cruisemates,

Good evening....from cool Colorado. It is almost Friday then a three day weekend! Luanne, Our thoughts continue to be with you during these difficult days. I hope justice will be served quickly so this doesn't linger.

Todd, thanks for your warning about the cold and our little critters. Ours all reside inside with a doggie door for the needed fresh air. A few days ago an oilfield worker stopped when he saw a cardboard box on the side of the highway. Someone had abandoned a litter of little black and white puppies. Their pads on their feet were frost bitten. Luckily this guy took them to our shelter. After appearances on tv they were going to raffle the dogs off today, because of all the interest shown in them.

Donna, I so understand what it is like to have the kidos inside all day. It is so hard on we adults. This week we have been lucky. They have gotten out at least at noon every day! Without fresh air they are like little jumping beans trying to burst out.

Beanie, Congratulations on your new washer. Keep us posted on the results. Mine is just the regular size. It works fine if I would just stay on top of it.

jojo