Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Admiral

Default It's SATURDAY!!

Morning All, from Montreal, where it's still early, dark, and very cold.
We are off to the airport in a few minutes, heading to the Maritimes again on another house hunt. Hopefully, this time we'll be successful!
The weather there is much the same as here, so it will be a chilly weekend, that's for sure!

Wishing all my Mates a great one, and see you on Monday!

donna
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Admiral

RD Good luck on your quest!! You know I loved looking for houses, I just hate the buying process. I don't ever want to move again lol!! I hope you have good luck today and find exactly what you are looking for.

Well the laundry is nearly caught up, that is a claim I have not been able to make in a long time. The new washer really is making a huge difference (I know it's crazy to get this excited about a clothes washer). It is so frustrating to feel like you can never get caught up on something. I did a few loads with the steam and sanitize modes for pillows, dish cloths/towels and that slowed me down a bit because those cycles take longer than others, but it makes me feel so good to almost be to the bottom of the hampers and have really, really clean clothes. Happy dance!

Finally the weather broke. it is once more above freezing and the house is toasty warm. I slept almost 8 hours last night for the first time in many days. It is suppose to get up to around 28 degrees tonight at about 10 p.m. so I figure that will be an excellent time to go visit the hot tub. We had a soak right before the temps went into the sub zero range.

Well d/h leaves to go work up in Michigan tomorrow. I have saved his work clothes for last. I will wash and pack them sometime today. I think Friday we'll drive up to meet him there then we'll all head up from there to spend the weekend with his folks in Canada. We haven't seen them since October or November. So we'll celebrate a delayed Christmas with them.

The house is still quiet with everyone in their beds still. The cat got up with me, but after I fed her breakfast I think she went back to sleep too. Take care and have a great weekend.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Admiral

My house is also dark and quiet but I got an old croak of a dog with an excellent internal time clock.............which is why I am up :evil: Thing is if I ignore her and hope to get more sleep, I will spend the time when I do get up washing a carpet..............

There is snow today. Good! If there is snow, that means even if it is cold it is warmer than it was, for it doesn't snow much when it was as cold as it was the last couple of days. Well, it is winter after all, and as my mother reminds me, its been years since we had cold this cold, and in the "old days", it was weeks of it, not just a couple of days. This is true, but I will be glad if the today is better than yesterday.

I continue to feel very tired and not so well. Hope that changes soon.

Have a great day every one.
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Admiral

It's Saturday! So what? Every day is Saturday for me!

Seriously, it's about 8 above outside, not too bad but indeed that's chilly for this area. The arctic snap breaks today and by Monday temps will be in the "normal" range.

I'm like you BW, I too get excited about new appliances. I've been telling Fran all about your new Bosch and how, since we have a Bosch dishwasher we should have a new Bosch front loading washer that is both more energy efficient and which uses much less water. I've told her about all the bells and whistles, how you say it gets the clothes so clean and have tried to urger her to rush out to get one. She just looked up from her paper with a bored expression and in a monotone stated, Uh huh. And just how do you propose we go about paying for it?" I replied, "Well you handle the money, you can work it in somewhere, can't you?" As she looked back down at her paper and picked up her coffee, she said dismissively , "Go back to playing on your computer."

I guess for today's excitement I'll have to get worked up over buying some spinach for tomorrow's dinner.

Hope you get to feeling better really soon Delft. While I sure hope RDonna and James find their dream home, you couldn't get me to go house hunting in below zero weather even if they were giving them away! On second though, maybe if they were giving them away but other than that......

Blessings upon you all and special prayers continue for Luanne and Jim and anyone else needing that extra boost.

Todd
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Good Morning 'Mates! Is this Central Florida? I just looked at the thermometer and it said 35 degrees F.! Can't possibly be right! (but it is!) Really frosty outside, but going up to 67 this afternoon they say. The pups didn't even stay out very long,,,not even Mattie, the American Eskimo with all that white fur! She came running back in when the door opened for the other two.
Hope y'all have a great day. Donna, I know you're anxious to find a new home,,and I hope you're successful this trip.
Keep warm, and we'll catch you aboard.

Ken
"SKY"
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Thanks Todd, you make me feel a wee bit less abnormal .

I was looking at Bosch, but the model with all the whistles and bells we wanted was not on sale. One thing I am sure of, when I finally decide to bury the dishwasher, I will be buying a Bosch to replace it.

Old January 17th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates,

Just listening to the News, hearing about an elderly couple that never returned from a Carnival Cruise...wonder if they got lost in a port...or just what happened.

The TV is telling me it is -4, but the thermometer tells me -22 - all I know is the dog barely would do his business, and I was glad he didn't linger as it was painfully cold.

Well, heard back from the doc...no wonder I am feeling so poorly - my thyroid levels are way off. Why I didn't think of that myself, I don't know, but I had some different symptoms this time than usual, so it threw me off a bit. As I did some on-line research I found out that people in colder climates have bigger fluctuations in the winter so many docs are prescribing higher doses to accomodate for that, and that also stress can cause it to increase...so now that I will have a higher dosage and I know what is going on, perhaps I can work on feeling better. I am looking forward to diminished joint pain, depression and lack of memory...I hope this makes the difference, as I really can't keep going the way I was.

Nothing planned for the day but catching up on all that needs to be done, which is plenty. Things didn't go according to schedule yesterday - it seldom does. I did get in a hour visit with an elderly man from our church - unfortunately it was in the middle of the grocery store, but he was very discouraged, he takes care of his very challenging wife - she her mind is not right - she has always been off balance, but now with age issues creeping in, it is horrendous for him. He refuses to put her in a nursing home, but he really can't continue to care for her, he has cancer and he confessed that she keeps him up all night and day, he can barely eat, and he hinted she is hitting him with her cane. Now I have to figure out what to do with this information.

Then the man who was in Nursing Home battling lung and brain cancer last night - passed away last night (his was the house that was shot into).
His wife really shouldn't stay by herself, but she is stubborn and none of their children even visit...it is a sad situation.

The Benefit Concert at our Church went well last night - the cold temps kept a lot of people away, but we were still able to raise $650 for fuel assistance and collected to large bins of food for the Food Shelf.

Well, time to get productive. I told the man from the grocery store I would try to find more nightgowns for his wife - she has two and he has tow continually launder them. I need to find flannel - xxl that have no buttons or closures, just slip over the head....I have no idea where to begin to find something like this. Any ideas?

Luanne - praying for you and your family. Remember he gives a peace that passes all understanding!

Delft - my dog like to be up and out very early - I wish his inner clock was programmed a tad later too.

BW - I totally understand about your excitement, I would love one of those new machines, but I can't justify it when all my kitchen appliance are about 26 years old and will certainly be expiring any minute.

RD - happy househunting

Wishing All Mates a peace-filled day
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Good morning all. Our low for last night was 20 degrees, it has wamed up to 42 already. Today is house cleaning day, yuk!

Yesterday I had the grandkids in the afternoon and my granddughter and I put together her "build a bear" she got for Christmas and we baked brownies. My BF helped my grandson build his ferris wheel with his K'Nex set. It actually has a motor and turns like a real ferris wheel. Next is his octopus whirl. That one has a few less pieces, the ferris wheel had 478 pieces.

Everyone have a great day and stay warm.

Need some cruise help?
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! Seems Calgary is one of the few nice weather places around. Our temps today are expected to hit the low 60s F.

Kuki Jr est heads back to ASU today, after a month long winter break. He's SO READY to get back to wearing shorts and t shorts when he goes to classes.

Last night we took him and his brother/and his fiance, and my mother to my nephew's restaurant for dinner.... as his "last wish" before heading back to dorm food. Had a pleasant evening, untill the talk turned to Kuki Jr elder's wedding plans with his fiance. Since I disagreed with everything they said, I'm off course wrong, and they know better.
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Default It's Saturday

It certainly is Saturday and another warm one, at that. We are told that they will go back to normal sometime next week and even with a chance of a few sprinkles.

Todd and BW, I, too, am still extoling the virtues of my Whirlpool washer and dryer. The old machines used to take over a day to do a few loads. The new one does everything in about three hours. Love it, except this means that I have to iron sooner!

No big plans for today, except a little housework and lunch out somewhere.

Have a good one!

Judy
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Default It's Saturday

It certainly is Saturday and another warm one, at that. We are told that they will go back to normal sometime next week and even with a chance of a few sprinkles.

Todd and BW, I, too, am still extoling the virtues of my Whirlpool washer and dryer. The old machines used to take over a day to do a few loads. The new one does everything in about three hours. Love it, except this means that I have to iron sooner!

No big plans for today, except a little housework and lunch out somewhere.

Have a good one!

Judy
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Iron? whats that?

Old January 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Admiral

I still iron my own shirts. I wanted my uniform shirts to be perfect so for my entire career I did my own. Fran's feathers were ruffled for awhile but that was about it.

Now, however, that I'd like my wife to iron the few button downs that need ironing that I now wear occasionally, she just turns to me and says, "Picture that!"

Things for we guys have been going downhill ever since they took "obey" out of the marriage vows. But then again in my case, the words were still there decades ago when I was married and it didn't do any good. Maybe that's indicative of New York Italians.

Todd
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Default It's Saturday

Beenie. I have always done a lot of ironing. I was raised by a mother who was a fanatic about it, and I guess I am, too. I used to do 8-15 pieces at a time. but the mastectomy put an end to that. I don't do more than six at a time now. I'm looking at two days' worth at the moment.

Judy
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon, from in the low 30's, Virginia Beach. This morning Rob and I went to Circuit City to see if there were any "bargains". Alas the flat screen televisions were just 10% off. We are being patient and will wait for a better deal. With this lousy economy, bargains will be had to those who have a little patience. Rollerdonna, good luck houshunting in the maritimes; it is definitely a buyer's market now. Kuki, how lucky your son is to go to school in Arizona! Todd it is really cold where you are! May all my fellow cruisemates have a great Saturday and think, Spring!
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Admiral

I really dislike ironing immensely. Occasionally I will iron d/h's work clothes. But if he's flying to the job I don't even bother. After the airlines get done crash testing the suitcase and the occasional baggage inspection, they often arrive looking like someone already slept in them. So he usually irons them in the morning after his shower. if I get stuff out of the dryer as soon as it is finished, it's pretty wrinkle free. If not a spray of wrinkle release usually does the trick.

But I always admire folks who have the self-discipline to do that. My MIL is one who irons just about everything, from hankies to underwear, you name it, she irons it .

Judy she had her double Mastectomy and a stem cell transplant a few years back, it's a long road, but if you keep working at it, you'll re-develop those muscles and nerves. Its a rough road though. She has another cancer called Multiple Myeloma and right now its in remission. She is a fireball, I don't know where she gets all her energy from.

My laundry tirade is nearly over. I also cleaned out all the closets and bagged up 8 bags of old clothes. They are going to the womens crisis center. I had no idea I had all that junk laying around.

Old January 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Admiral

I have not made any comments about weather here in Northern California, because we have enjoyed a week that was been Spring like. They are talking about rain again next week so our week of Spring is almost over. I know most people back East are going through a cold snap, but Spring will be here before we know it. I am hoping we can avoid rain in NOLA. Take care, Mike