Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Passenger

Default Grand Turk

Going to GT on our cruise in May of this year on the Destiny. Is it safe to get a taxi? You know, you hear all those stories about Jamaica and Cancun. We don't snorkel but this trip is all about the beaches and sun anyway. Is there shopping? If so, where and what do you buy? I know this is a very small island but didn't want to miss out on anything. How do most people get around? I was told that the beach is better when you go to the left of the boat when you get there. Is that true and why? Thanks for answering soooo many questions.

ANY tips or advice would be appreciated!!!

Tammy
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Yes it is safe to taxi in Grand Turk but you don't really need to. There is shopping as you get off the boat (not cheap) and the beach is right there. There are a few things to see on the island but if you are not going snorkeling the beach right by the ship is the place to be. 8)
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Passenger

ScurvyDog

Thank you. HMM? What would you suggest instead of a taxi?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:52 PM
Captain

It is our opinion from having been to Grand Turk that your feet will take you just about anywhere you need to go. The island is not very big, the beach is right there and the small town is very close to the pier. We didn't find that shopping was good at all in Grand Turk but we greatly enjoyed the beach and the small island feel. The people were lovely and while there isn't much to do there we enjoyed our time.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Just outside of the pier area is a hop on hop off bus (if memory serves -$20 PP). Not alot of places to hop off and one .. but if you want a tour... that system is available to you.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Admiral

I haven`t been there in a few years. but i think they built a
surfing pool , similar to the one on the freedom of the seas.
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Admiral

We were just there a couple of weeks ago. While the cruise terminal complex with Margaritaville, pool, beach and shopping is in good condition after Hurricaine Ike, the rest of the island is not really ready for tourists. The Hop-on-hop-off bus was not yet operating again. All land based tours were NOT operating. However, Princess did capitalize on what they called the Hurricane IKE tour.......come see lots of blue tarped roofs and demolished homes. We did NOT take the tour. Now if I thought for a second that Princess was donating 100% of the tour charge to the island rebuilding fund, I would have been on it in a heart beat.

The only other tours operating were water based activities. I'm sure by May they will have things in a little better shape. I did see some taxis by the taxi stand, but only a few.