Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Beginner

Default Cruising solo

Hi there:

Has anyone cruised solo before? Did you enjoy the experience? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Familiar Face

I have. It's fun during the day. At night I found it a little lonely because everybody is coupled. I still made the best of it. I'm a single female and I travel alone quite often. I actually enjoy it because I can do whatever I want. If you really like the cruise stops, don't let being alone stop you from going. enjoy yourself.
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Have cruised solo about 20 times, with one coming up next month. The first time, I was terrified! "What the hell have I done? I'm going to South America, I don't know anyone, etc." Then I realized all the closet space was mine, all the drawers were mine, the bathroom was all mine - the selfish gene kicked in. I changed my clothes, walked out the door and never looked back.

First of all, you cannot be shy. I've been very lucky hooking up with couples or groups. I always ask for a table of 6-8 for dinner - they become "family". Participate in games, water sports, Name that Tune, things like that. You might have to approach a group and ask if they need another person for their team - people are almost always gracious.

Usually, the first time I visit a port, I will take a ship sponsored tour of the place - not a whole day thing but a 3-4 hour jaunt to get the feel of the land. You meet people on the tour and can ask what they are doing the next port - I've hooked up with lots of people this way and shared cabs, lunches and excursions cheaper than the cruise line.

It's funny but sometimes people are more open to talking to a single woman than to another couple or 2 women - if you're with someone else, you appear to be already "partnered", but when alone, you can find some interesting people. If you're sitting at a lunch table on the Lido and there's room for others, invite people walking by with their trays to join you.

Like all things in life, cruising would be much better with a loving man at your side to share things with, but, since I figure he's not coming soon, I need to get to places only cruising can get me - how else would I have seen The Panama Canal, Angel Falls, almost all of the Caribbean islands, swam with the dolphins in Honduras (last November), done a few trans-Atlantic cruises and seen the Mediterranean?

Yes, I've been on cruises that seemed like "Noah's Ark" - everyone coupled and watching people dance is not as much fun as dancing, but you can still enjoy a comedy or magic show by yourself - people around you will laugh with you.

As Mark Twain said, "In 20 years, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did do". Keep that in mind - keep your smile ready, banish your fears, and JUST DO IT, Kid!

belgique
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Familiar Face

That being said, I too have traveled many places alone. Land tour in Spain, land tour in Brazil (Rio, Buzios, Salvador) cruiseed all the caribbean, land tour of New England, land tour and cruise of Italy, go to Mexico often, etc. I love to travel. You are correct, being a single lady traveling alone, the world opens up to you.

For me, cruises are a great "sample platter" to see many places. Then you can pick one to go back to on a land trip. It's just at night on cruise ships, I'm not into the shows (I find the boring) and I don't gamble. During the day, lido deck is a blast. Meeting lots of people, participating in the fun ect. I like taking the tours with the "local folks" as well. You ge more bang for the buck plus you help them feed their families. My feeling they need the money more than the cruise company.

Thanks for the reply. I'm dreaming of going on an NCL cruise in October to Istanbul, Egypt and the Greece. keep traveling and maybe our worlds will cross some day. Peace
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruising solo

#1sailingsal,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hi there:

Has anyone cruised solo before? Did you enjoy the experience? Thanks
About eighteen of my twenty-five cruises were "flying solo" and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Here are a few tips.

>> 1. Book on a ship with traditional assigned seatings for dinner, and request a table for eight (a table for six or ten is also workable). Chances are that you'll find somebody with whom you can relate at a table of this size. If you request a table for two and don't hit it off with your dinnermate, it's an extremely awkward situation. And at a table for four, you are likely to be the fourth person seated with a party of three and thus be the odd person out. At a larger table, however, the conversation tends to be open so you can join in.

>> 2. Go to the activities and events that are of interest to you, as that's where you will find people with interests similar to yours. Also, take a shore excursion that's of interest for you in each port of call for the same reason. And if you see people that you meet at activities and on shore excursions around the ship, by all means greet them and ask what they have been doing!

>> 3. When you go to an activity or event, or when standing in a buffet line waiting your turn, don't hesitate to start conversations with those around you. A question like "This isn't your first cruise, is it?" is a great icebreaker. If it's the person's first cruise, you can ask his or her impressions so far. If not, you can ask how many, where the person has gone on the other cruises, which lines the person has used, etc., and how this cruise compares.

>> 4. And when you go on shore excursions, do befriend those around you on the same excursion. There's safety in numbers, and fellow passengers usually will look out for you -- especially if they realize that you are alone!

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Admiral

i HAVE CRUISE MANY TIMES ALONE. AND LOVE IT!!