Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2009, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Default Sunday Morning

Morning All, from Montreal, where it's snowing for a change....
Light flurries, no storm, at least I hope not!
DH has gone out for his morning workout, then I am meeting him for breakfast out, just for a change. One has to almost force oneself to go out when it is snowing and -14C with a windchill of -22!

The rest of Sunday will be occupied with cleaning house. I got a lot of major cleaning done yesterday, not just the usual vacuuming and dusting. I'm talking washing walls and trying to de-clutter. Why do we keep so much STUFF?

donna
Old February 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning from a sunny, but cool Texas.

I had a pretty good day yesterday. It was probably as close to "normal" as I will have from now on.

I finally found the best book to read about dealing with the loss of a child. It was a real inspiration, and answered many of my questions.

It is called " Roses In December" by Marilyn Willet Heavilin According to her, you are all my roses. A rose to her, is something or someone who gives you hope.

Sleep was off and on last night. I seem to wake up every hour, and always wondering if Joe was home yet. I don't think Sunday will every be a good time to sleep, because I lost him on Sunday morning.

I would like to go to church this morning, but it is so hard for me to get dressed, and go and sit for an hour. I am so afraid I will break down.

Jim and Josh are going to the annual Super Bowl party at a co-workers house that Jim knows. It use to be Jim and Joe, but Josh is filling in this year. I am going to watch the game by myself, which is the way I like it.

I hope all of you are having a good day.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 1st, 2009, 08:49 AM
Admiral

This is the piece in the paper about Joe.

Scholarship fund opened at CTC in honor of Joe Russo
by Crystal McCoy Friday • January 30, 2009

Central Texas College drama professor James Salter is honoring his student Joe Russo with an endowed scholarship fund to keep his memory alive.

The Joe Russo Drama Scholarship is currently accepting donations. Once the fund reaches the $5,000 mark, it becomes endowed and the interest from the base amount will be used for scholarships at CTC.

Russo was a student at CTC and a 2007 graduate of Copperas Cove High School. He was shot and killed in Austin earlier this month.

"Joe was just a phenomenal kid, really talented," Salter said. "I loved having him in class."

Attending Russo's funeral made Salter think about a way to honor his memory.

"The whole point is to have something to honor Joe's name and for it to be there long after I'm gone," he said. "I'm doing this because it's the right thing to do."

Russo's father met with Salter this week to thank him for setting up the fund and to make a donation.

Thomas Wall, one of Salter's students, approached him with the idea to start a scholarship a few days after the wheels were already in motion. He was one of the first to donate to the fund.

He met Russo in theater class at CTC, which he was taking just to fill his art credit requirement.

"I took it as a blow-off class," Wall said. "But Joe was so passionate about it, he changed my whole view on it. He compared it to football for me and by the end of I grew to have a deep love of theater."

Wall said Russo had an impact on anyone he met and has high hopes for this scholarship.

"I'm hoping that someone with his passion will come in here and earn this scholarship to pursue the dream that, unfortunately, Joe will not have the chance to."

To make a donation or for more information, call 526-1306.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old February 1st, 2009, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Good morning CruiseMates! Well it is sunny out and I should be in the 20's today. Last night I had some excitement. I decided D/H needed some new clothes to wear to his interview. So I had an hour and a half to get into town and make my selections before the store closed. So I am heading down the state road and evidently all the wind yesterday caused snow drifts and made some roads impassable(is this a word?). Anyhow got to a part of the road called "Dead Man's Curve" and there was an accident. Looked like car vs. snow plow. The road was completely blocked with emergency vehicles. So I sat there for a bit adn then backed up and turned around. I then went north on a back gravel road then turned west on another back road, soon I was driving through snow drifts well over a foot and a half deep, and couldn't really tell where the road was. But man it was sooooo much fun . Have I told you guys how much I love having a 4 wheel drive truck. So anyhow I finally made it to the mall and found what I was looking for.

Can't find anything in the news about the accident so I am hoping it wasn't as bad as it looked.

I told you all about my new explorations into Facebook. It is so strange to reconnect with folks I haven't seen in 25 years or even more. I looked up one of my old bosses from when I worked at the telecom company and found he had just run into a tree on his snowmobile and broke his back

Technology is a curious thing. But it is great to be able to reconnect with all these blasts from the past.

Well I am proud of myself I finally started to pack for the Bloggers Cruise. So I guess we won't be running around the ship naked.

I have d/h's clothes washed and I'm just about ready to throw them in the suitcase for his three day work week. He is very excited about so many things this week. He is ready to rock n roll.I am excited for him. It is good to see him be happy and excited about his career. I hope the weather cooperates and everything goes according to plan.

The kids are ready to go south whenever I say the word and tell them to hop in the truck.

I hope you all enjoy the Superbowl, and your team wins!

Prayers for all who need them, enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Edited to add, Luanne what a beautiful tribute to your son.
You know it is Ok, do what you feel you're up to. You may find that you do break down and that's OK if you do, you may find that being around like minded, supportive people who care about you may make you feel better though. But trust yourself, you know what you are able to deal with right now. But don't isolate yourself because you fear breaking down. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Good morning all. It's a cool, sunny day here with temps getting into the high 50's. A little to cool for a motorcycle ride which we thought about doing. Oh well, guess we will stay around the house.

Sounds like your Bloggers cruise will be a good one. I really wished we could have gone, but the timing was all wrong for me to take off work. I love New Orleans.

Everyone have a great day.

Need some cruise help?
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Good Morning. I have been away for a bit. I hope every one is having a good day.
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Delft, it is a good morning now that you are here .

Hope you are feeling better and on the road to recovery, we've been waiting to hear how you are getting along.

Welcome back!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Delft, good to see you are back with us. Hope the hospital stay was not too unbearable and that you are feeling better now.

donna
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Thank you. I am only now reading some posts. I realize now when I went in my son had written a few people on my computer email before shutting down. Thank you for the kind thoughts. I didnt really tell many people about it as it was an especially difficult time this time. Take care and thank you.
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon, from in the low 50's, Virginia Beach. This morning I cleaned the house since I couldn't on Friday (I had to wait for the new heat pump to be installed and the t.v. repairman). I was very upset to hear, from our older daughter, this morning, that several of their friends had been laid off from work. I am praying that this world economic downturn ends quickly. It is sad to hear when young adults, with young children, have to go through such a difficult economic time. My thoughts and prayers go out to everybody who is in the same boat!
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Delft, please know, many of us are are with you, a strong shoulder and, an ear acoss the miles....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 1st, 2009, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Default Sunday Morning

A late good morning to you all from Southern California. Another warm day here. We're told to expect some rain later in the week.

Delft, great to see you posting.
Luanne, BW is right. Don't isolate yourself because you think you'll cry. People are understanding and sympathetic.

Did anyone out there watch Holly the Pointer win the AKC-Eukanuba Dog Show last night? So much fun to watch . . . so many beautiful, well groomed, well behaved, well treated dogs. And I love the word Eukanuba!

Off to South Coast PLaza for me. Have a good day watching the Super Bowl, or whatever . . .

Judy
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest.............it still is morning for another 10 minutes or so...........

Not much going on here.....temps have warmed abit......low 40's & 50's....

Thoughts & prayers to those in need.......glad to see some back posting....hang in there.......

Y'all have a good day...........

Sharon
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Delf,

Good to see you posting. Been praying for you.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old February 1st, 2009, 07:27 PM
First Mate

Hi Mates,
I have been having a problem getting on line. I finally figured it out. We are at home watching the Super Bowl. I much prefer to watch it at home, since tomorrow is a work day.
Delft, we are glad you are back home. Our prayers have been with you during the past week.
Louanne, What a nice tribute to Joe. I lost my mom on an Easter Sunday. I tried to attend church the following year and broke down when I heard the music. You know when you feel you can be with people, do what feels best for you.
Beanie, your tails of driving through snow drifts brought me back to southern Minnesota. I didn't have 4 wheel drive.
Make it a good day. Enjoy your cruise preparations.

jojo