Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default Distilled Water

Is the water from the faucets on a ship considered to be distilled? I ask because I am a c-pap user and I wondered if I should bring distilled water with me.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

i would say no because we always see the ships top off their tanks with local water in the US and CA. what they use that water for, how they filter it, someone else will have to answer.
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

No it is not distilled on the ship.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Admiral

CruiseNOID,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
No it is not distilled on the ship.
Actually, all ships have units, usually called "evaporators," that produce drinking water from the sea -- and the water that comes out of the evaporators is in fact "distilled" (Grade "B") water.

Unfortunately, that's not the end of the story.

>> 1. Ships do treat their drinking water with chlorine to prevent growth of harmful bacteria. The amount of chlorine added for treatment is quite small and thus not really significant, but it could be enough to affect some chemical processes.

>> 2. But ships also do sometimes take on potable water from shore, and that water is not normally distilled. Rather, it's just standard tap (Grade "C") water.

So although ships DO produce "distilled" water onboard, I would not rely on the water coming out of the tap in the bathroom to conform to the requirement for "distilled" water of some medical test or procedure.

Note, BTW, that I did not make mention of "demineralized" (Grade "A") water, which requires the additional step of sending the "distilled" water through a special resin that removes nearly all of the remaining ions from the water. Steam ships also do produce "demineralized" water, but only for use in their boilers.

Norm.
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Distilled Water

Laura,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Is the water from the faucets on a ship considered to be distilled? I ask because I am a c-pap user and I wondered if I should bring distilled water with me.
It would be prudent to bring enough distilled water for your c-pap for the reasons noted in my reply to CruiseNOID. The ship's evaporators produce "distilled" water, but that might not be the water that's coming to the tap in your cabin at any given moment.

But JTOL, somebody onboard probably can arrange to refill your container from a drain cock on the effluent side of the evaporator if you run out. I'm not sure if your cabin steward can pull strings to do this or if you would have to go to the pursor's desk and work your way up through the senior officers to get it done....

Norm.
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2

Laura
The water is not to be considered as distilled . I don't know which line you

are cruising with . Both on HAL & RCI bottled water was supplied(for a price) .

I used a have a c-pap machine , always used bottled water.

For a short time you could use tap water , the doctor on board

might be able to supply distilled water for the machine. Just ask the

cruiseline and your TA to check when making the booking.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

Laura,

From the perspective of your C-PAP it is the distilled demineralized water that is needed (at the "Grade A"). When you have the other grades it still contains the trace minerals, additives, or chemicals which would end up building up in your machine or make it not function as it should.

Most people when they say they need distilled water, it is this demineralized water and most commonly they are not aware of the the various grades which Rev so politely explained below.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old February 6th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Admiral

doopydozer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The water is not to be considered as distilled . I don't know which line you

are cruising with . Both on HAL & RCI bottled water was supplied(for a price) .

I used a have a c-pap machine , always used bottled water.

For a short time you could use tap water , the doctor on board

might be able to supply distilled water for the machine. Just ask the

cruiseline and your TA to check when making the booking.
Hmmm....

Actually, the normal bottled water for which you pay three times the price of gasoline at your local supermarket (!) is just somebody else's tap water. It does not receive any special treatment. If it really tastes better than your tap water, it's because it has a different combination of impurities rather than no impurities at all.

>> If the ship took on water in port, it's a 50/50 shot whether the bottled water or the port's water supply is purer -- and that's if the water taken on in port has not been mixed with what the ship produces.

>> And if the ship is distilling its own water, the ship's water will be purer than whatever you get in a bottle even if it is mixed with water taken on in a port of call.

So if it's a choice of shipboard tap water or bottled water, the shipboard tap water is the better choice. Of course, it really would be best to bring
enough distilled or demineralized water aboard ship for your tests, and use it only for that purpose.

Norm.
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Admiral

In Canada the bottled water has to have it's content's listed

(ie minerals etc) on the label. When I used a cpap machine

was available to get water just as good as distilled.

A water that has passed thru a "Reverse Osmosis " unit

is 99.99% distilled water. This water is good enough to

used in large battery installations where distilled is

recommended.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Admiral

I have checked with inalation theraphy for you, he sets up home oxygeon and Cpap and Bipaps. He said you dont need to use the bottled water on the ship. You can use the ships water.