Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Default Question for women with Osteoporosis

The other day I mentioned I was diagnosed with the beginnings of Osteoporosis, and many of you responded with similar stories of bone density tests and various medications.
I was wondering if any of you have had any negative effects from your medication, particularly joint and muscle pain, which are reportedly rare, compared with the usual stomach upset or heartburn.

The reason I ask is, last night, about 15 hours after taking my first tablet, I experienced sudden and severe muscle spasms in my back, starting in my hips and moving up towards my shoulders. The pain encompassed even the chest area, with crushing tightness, so much so I thought I was having a heart attack.
But realizing that most of it was focused in my lower back, which I know is my weakest spot, I figured it might be related to the medication, and first thing this morning I talked to my pharmacist.
She agreed that although rare, these side effects could be the result of this medication, and not to take any more until I talk to my doctor.
Guess who's getting a phone call tomorrow morning?

donna
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:24 PM
Admiral

RD, I don't know about that side effect, but I do know of one woman who got very sick everytime she had to take that medication. Hope you have a good talk with your doctor, and come up with something that will help the osteoperosis and not cause you so much trouble. I want you well and healthy and able to have lots of fun on our upcoming cruise!

Phyll
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Donna, I was on one of the medications years ago and had to quit taking it as it did aggrivate the existing muscle problems with my back and the joint pain in my knees. I also had and still have problems with having to sit for the extened length of time when taking the pill. I still can't sit for more than 20 - 25 minutes before I have to get up and move around.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
Admiral

I have taken it for well over 10 years, actually took it before it was approved when it was still an investigational drug. This because of serious osteo because of long term steroid use. I have had upper GI issues, but do with all my drugs, but never what you have described. I would find it difficult to beleive you would have that much of a reaction after one tablet, but it is not impossible either as each person is differant and at the minimum give the doctors office a call.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Familiar Face

Donna, I've taken Actonel for 4-5 years without any side effects at all. My brother Bob had stomach problems with Phosomax (spelling?), but neither of us has experienced the type of reaction you had. I agree with everyone else that you should call the doctor's office first thing Monday morning. If the side effects haven't subsided yet, go one step further and check with emerg or an after hours clinic. You don't happen to have a telephone service like Telehealth Ontario that we have, do you? Sometimes the nurses who provide telephone advice can help, too.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Wow - what a horrible reaction. I've taken Fosamax for a number of years with no problems and now that it's gone generic, I take Alendronate 70mg. Again, no problems - but this is a different name than what you took (maybe a difference between Canada and the US?).

Good luck!

Jane

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Familiar Face

talk to your doctor about having IV Reclast. Its for Osteoporosis. It is an IV that takes about 40 min to an hour to get they also give you fluids, you might feel a little achy or flu like for a day or two but it lasts all year and you dont have to take anything daily except maybe some caltrate or calcium supplements to help your bones absorb the Reclast. i work at a drs office and we recommend this to alot of people who might get side effects from the other medications typically fosamax, boniva, actonel..etc.

~Carnival Inspiration May 2009~
~Carnival Imagination Sept 2007~
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Sparks, that is fascinating. I never knew that something like that was available. I have a few relatives who are intolerant to some of the drugs you mentioned, I will suggest they talk to the Doc about that. Thanks!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Familiar Face

no problem

Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:50 PM
Admiral

RD, that is so interesting! I have trouble with my muscles, if I sit too long, but haven't related it to the Fosomax that I take. The 2 may be connected! Something to thing about, for sure! Thanks!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Admiral

Donna,

I worked in the health and fitness industry for over 12 years. And while not a doctor, I learned that bones, like muscles must be exercised.

Bones decalcify over time. That is, they lose calcium over time due to inactivity. Just like muscles lose size over time to lack of exercise.

California Governer, Arnold Schwarzenegger, is a shell of the man he used to be, simply because he stopped weight-bearing exercise.

The best remedy for bone decalcification is weight-bearing exercise.

Bones need weight-bearing exercise to maintain their size and mass.

When bones are subjected to heavy weight bearing exercise, they are pulled, stretched, twisted and compressed. All of which cause injury to them. The human body reacts to this injury by applying additional calcium to the injured areas, to repair injuries, and fortify them against future injuries.

The body will pull calcium from all available sources, including muscles and the liver. Injuries always take priority.

Usually no additonal dietary intake of calcium is necessary for the body to over-compensate for exercise-related injury.

Despite what the pill-pushers want to sell you, usually no additional dietary intake of calcium is required.

Dietary calcium comes in several forms, including spinach and dairy products. Eat a normal diet, and you consume more than sufficient calcium.

What the average person lacks is not dietary calcium, it is heavy weight-bearing exercise.

Dietary calcium applied to non-stimulated bones has no medical effect whatsoever.

Properly exercised bones will draw calcium from all sources, almost without regard to dietary intake.

The drug manufacturers don't tell you this, because there's no profit in it. Slick Fosomax ads never mention the medical fact that non-stimulated bones will never draw additonal calcium, regardless of how much of it you consume. You're putting gasoline into an already full tank.

Slick Fosomax ads never mention the medical fact that properly exercised bones draw calcium from all available sources without regard of the source, as the body always deals with injuries as priority over all other concerns.

Drug manufacturers never want you to read medical research, like that available at the American College of Sports Medicine, www.acsm.org, because they don't want you to know that their pills have no medical value whatsoever, and that simple, weight-bearing exercise is the only proven remedy for bone decalcification.

Three sessions per week in the squat rack will give you a skeleton that the pill pushers can only dream of.....

Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:04 AM
Admiral

As a registered nurse I could not disagree with you more mean dean.

FACT: Yes, excersise is very important for maintaining bone density,preventing muscle deterioration etc.
Fact There are many factors contributing to bone loss.
Fact drugs like Fosomax have been life savors in particular to women. Death following hip fractures have been near the top of the list for women in terms of cause of death.
Fact there are several medical reasons that cause bone loss that WILL NOT BE HELPED by excersise, and if it is helped , it will be of very little help.
Fact bone densisty occurs over time, unfortunately, most meanopausal women did not have enough calcium in their diets as young persons.
Fact, there is a strong genetic link to osteoporosis.
Fact the average person in fact does not take enough calcioum or vitamin D for that matter in their diets.

I am sorry to sound so blunt, but while excersise is a great things and I strongly encourage it, it will not in fact in most cases reverse the effects of osteo and needs many things in order to treat this problem, that is a serious issue in women and will leads to their premature deaths. While Osteo affects men, it certainly effects women at a far higher rate.

Making statements like pills having no medical value what so ever is wrong and unproffessional.

As a nurse and a health proffessional, I can tell you that staement is plain wrong. I fell the other day, got pretty black and blue, I didnt break anything this time, and have not for a few years now, because of this drug and it effects. I took it as I have already said when it was investigational. My osteo was ruining my life and there was nothing I could do about it. I owe this drug alot of my comfort and lack of pain. It surely is nice not having repeated fractures yearly. I can guarantee you many women feel the same way at the osteo clinic.

No one should stop taking medications with out seeking advise and or second -third opinions from their medical doctors. Fosomax and other drugs like it have their issues, they do have side effects, but at this time their benifits far out weigh their risks.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delft
As a registered nurse I could not disagree with you more mean dean.

FACT: Yes, excersise is very important for maintaining bone density,preventing muscle deterioration etc.
Fact There are many factors contributing to bone loss.
Fact drugs like Fosomax have been life savors in particular to women. Death following hip fractures have been near the top of the list for women in terms of cause of death.
Fact there are several medical reasons that cause bone loss that WILL NOT BE HELPED by excersise, and if it is helped , it will be of very little help.
Fact bone densisty occurs over time, unfortunately, most meanopausal women did not have enough calcium in their diets as young persons.
Fact, there is a strong genetic link to osteoporosis.
Fact the average person in fact does not take enough calcioum or vitamin D for that matter in their diets.

I am sorry to sound so blunt, but while excersise is a great things and I strongly encourage it, it will not in fact in most cases reverse the effects of osteo and needs many things in order to treat this problem, that is a serious issue in women and will leads to their premature deaths. While Osteo affects men, it certainly effects women at a far higher rate.

Making statements like pills having no medical value what so ever is wrong and unproffessional.

As a nurse and a health proffessional, I can tell you that staement is plain wrong. I fell the other day, got pretty black and blue, I didnt break anything this time, and have not for a few years now, because of this drug and it effects. I took it as I have already said when it was investigational. My osteo was ruining my life and there was nothing I could do about it. I owe this drug alot of my comfort and lack of pain. It surely is nice not having repeated fractures yearly. I can guarantee you many women feel the same way at the osteo clinic.

No one should stop taking medications with out seeking advise and or second -third opinions from their medical doctors. Fosomax and other drugs like it have their issues, they do have side effects, but at this time their benifits far out weigh their risks.
thank you i couldnt agree with you more!!
while exercise is good, infact its great!, but a person with osteo cannot simply reverse everything by going to the gym. true that weight bering exercise helps build stronger healthier bones...a person with osteo has very brittle porous bones...they have to get there bones in working order again before doing the weight bearing exercises, such as fosamax, boniva, iv reclast, actonel...and always take calcium with those to help your bones absorb those medications...of course if this isnt recommended by your doctor then do what he or she says...always listen to your doctor.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Deft, Sparks,

I refer you further to:

World Health Organization article:

http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/...n/index25.html

United States Surgeon General's Report:

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/librar...hure1mar05.pdf

All research publications referred to date, indicate weight-bearing exercise as remedy for osteoporosis; none indicate consumer pills as remedy.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Deft, Sparks,

I refer to you for further reading:

National Osteoporosis Foundation, 23 February 2009.

Indicate weight-bearing exercise as remedy; no mention of consumer pills as remedy.

http://bones.nof.org/site/PageServer...ry_Bone_Health

Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Delft, Sparks,

Exhaustive study by the World Health Organization, as summarized in 206 page report, World Health Organization Report 921, 2003:

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/WHO_TRS_921.pdf

Weight-bearing exercise shown to have the only positive results, vis-a-vis osteoporsis, Fosomax and derivatives showing no appreciable positive effect.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
Admiral

With the calcium and d that the doctor prescribed and what ever med we choose - he has also told me 6 days of weight bearing exercise.

I know I have many factors why my bones have gotten this bad - I don't have age (I am only 45) or menopause to blame. Because of health problems that have about debilitated be for almost 6 years now - I went from being a normal weight woman (125-130) to an under weight woman, from being fairly active - to an almost sedintary person for many years (its getting better tho'), and genetics, on both side, being lactose intolerant doesn't help matters, and the issue of not being able to chew many foods for years due to jaw issues, as well as a goiter and not being able to get food down, made it hard to get good nutrition. Add onto it an absorption problem that has not been able to be diagnosed.
My body, bones, muscles, my blood, and lots of my organs are fighting against each other an me. It is a frustration, it is painful, and it is something that is basically suffered alone - and it's embarassing.
I am weak, and can't do so many things I want...and if I do I pay for it.

I did as the doctor asked last night - weight-bearing excercise - today my skelatal structure is not happy, my bones hurt, my muscles hurt...and I know I have to do it again today, and everyday...and I hate it. I pray, and pray and pray to love it to have a desire to do it, yet the desire doesnt' come - so I know I have to just do it - I have to suck it up, change my schedule - get out of my comfort zone and do it.

I hate taking pills - vitamins included - why - they don't absorb, they lay in my stomach and just burn most of the time - but I will try to take what they have asked me to, in the hopes that my bones leech on to some of what is needed there. Why - do I have a choice?
I live in a land where we very little sun - in the summer if the sun is out I am out in it for hours at a time - without sunscreen - my body craves it, I can't go inside - I just feel complelled to be out there. I rush thru my work to get out in the sun - last summer we had very few sunny days.
Even in summers when I have been out for hours and hours, with no sunsreen to block any rays and my body has soaked up all the d it can, I test and I am still low, if not even in the normal range.

I am at my wits end...what does one do...all they can I guess
take the vitamins, take the meds and get the excersice and when I blessed enough to have sun in temps that are warm enough to enjoy - get out and soak up the rays.

Sorry I have rambled, but it is just so frustrating - my body has grown old before its time, I live with chronic pain, I have had a host of medical problems since I was in my teens.
Why - I don't know, but I think a lot of it could be that perhaps my father (who was 20 years older than my mother) sperm was too old to give me a good chance at life. At least part of me would love to blame it on him, but I won't. This is just what I have been dealt. I try to just live thru it, I have days I complain, and just don't want to deal with it. I try to live my life around it - I try to be an encourager to others, do what ever I can to make someone elses life easier or more pleasant - bring some sort of joy into the lives of others. To always lend a hand - even when it changes my plans, if it is inconvienent and hard. I know first hand - what a helping hand can be - that a small gesture sometimes means the whole world, that a kind word from an unexpected source gives hope. That sometimes it is an answer to a prayer.
And I also believe that I must follow Gods word - Love the Lord your God with all your hear, all you soul and all your strength - the first command
and the second - Love your neighbor as yourself. And the golden rule - do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

Sorry I have gone on and on...don't even know how my tirade made it from point a to point b - I think that it is just so easy for others to sit back and say - why do you do this and not that.
I know we have to be our own health advocates -but at some point you just have to trust and try something - as no matter what you do there are so many opposing voices as to why you shouldn't and if you don't do it then there are 100 voices screaming at you well if you had done the conventional thing you would not be in the mess you are.
Are any of the voices really right or wrong. Who knows as every body is so vastly complicated and different. You have to do what you feel is best, listen to those you trust and pray to God that you've made the right choice.

I will get off my soapbox for now - again I apologize...

To those of you in pain and suffering - know that I feel for you - I have empathy for you, and I pray for you - that no matter what treatment you chose, for what ever problem, that you find relief and quality of life.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Dean I am sorry you are not able to interprate the issues at hand. As you said YOU ARE NOT a medical person therefore you do not know or understand the complexaties related to this bone diesease and the many causes of it. Therefore, while advising good physical health and excersisie is always a must and a pluss, you dont have the knowledge or education to write speciaifically not to use a drug or that a drug has no benifit. I am not going to go back and forth with you on this, although I did show you posts to one of my best friends who is an endocrinologist- and an osteoporosis specialist, who spends half of his time in the study of this bone disease and its many causes, and he could not disagree with you more. In fact your assertion that the pills are of no benifit is in fact a dangerous statement to make, not to mention unfair. Again, excersise is always important, esecially in preventing the disease, but be sure, there are some issues, like for example the fact I have been on prednisone all of my life that will rob your bones no matter what you do. Any one who has ever asked me how to manange the diease will be told to do weight bearing excersise, to eat well, to get rest, to prevent fractures, ones must prevent falls in their enviroment as well. It is not all pills, but dont ever say , when you dont have the medical foundation to do so or the skills to interpret results and studies there is no basis for pills, especially when this is simply not the case. As for your assertion mean dean that it does not reverse bone loss , you are wrong, you have only to look at my bone density tests. It may not work for every one, but it surely worked for me and I am very grateful. The winter I was put on it with clinical trial, I broke an ankle twice, my hip, had two compression fractures in my back and broke my wrist. Enough said.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Interesting discussions going on here, and I appreciate everyone's input and opinions. My doctor did recommend weight-bearing exercise in addition to the medication.
All I know is that I was doing well and completely pain free, particularly from the Pilates I've been doing for the past 4 years.
Then I walked out of my doctor's office with a new presription, and I have been in excrutiating pain ever since. I feel like all my back muscles have seized up and I am walking around bent over like an old lady.
I hope this stuff wears off soon, and I will NOT be taking it again.

I am still trying to reach my doctor's office.....

donna
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
Interesting discussions going on here, and I appreciate everyone's input and opinions. My doctor did recommend weight-bearing exercise in addition to the medication.
All I know is that I was doing well and completely pain free, particularly from the Pilates I've been doing for the past 4 years.
Then I walked out of my doctor's office with a new presription, and I have been in excrutiating pain ever since. I feel like all my back muscles have seized up and I am walking around bent over like an old lady.
I hope this stuff wears off soon, and I will NOT be taking it again.

I am still trying to reach my doctor's office.....

donna
I appreciate you are having alot of pain Donna, and it may well be the medication BUT you have had this happen with your back before with out the medications, so I think it may be more of an issue of what causes your back to go out in the first place. I am not convinced it is the pills, but I also don't rule it out either.I only question it because of the history in the past of your back doing this with no medications. Hope it feels better soon.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Default Forteo Shots

I was diagnosed with severe osteoporosis a few years ago. Took Fosamax and then Actonel - never had a reaction to either. However, because of a bad fall a couple of months ago where I broke my left shoulder, the doctor told me to stop taking Actonel because it may not be good AFTER a fracture. He put me on Forteo which is very expensive. I learned how to give myself a shot of this medicine everyday. Because my bones are soft, it took a 4-hour surgery and 3 pins and putty to get everything back together. After a couple really painful days in the hospital after the surgery, I had to spend spent 2 horrible weeks living in a rehab facility and am now going for outpatient therapy. I'm trying to get back range of motion and strength in my arm. I can't drive yet so have to now get a ride wherever I have to go. It hasn't been fun!
Cindy
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Oh Cindy, I am so sorry to hear about your injury. Once you get back on track, eat bon bons, and, read a book a a day

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Cindy
I hope that things go better for you soon. It is a very difficult disease to live with especially when one crosses the "threshold" and goes onto having fractures. Don't loose hope, you are only two months following a very bad fracture. Keep at it, and you will see a light at the end of a tunnel. Thoughts and prayers with you.
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Cindy - sorry to read about your fall, and all you've had to endure! Hope you are all "mended" soon.

RD - any word yet on your back pain and the meds? Hope you are feeling better!
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cindy,

I am exteremly sorry about your fall, busted shoulder and the hard and painful rehab.

You're too nice to have that happen. I hope that it will soon be just a bad memory.

You TAKE CARE!
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 24th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Admiral

No doctor had ever ordered a bone density test for me. When I was fifty-nine, I demanded one. Guess what, I have osteopenia and I was put in a medical test for a drug manufactured by Novartis that was just approved by the F.D.A. After I had my bone density test, I suggested to my husband, Rob, that he request a bone density test, too. Guess what, male cruisemates, Rob has osteopenia too! He was given fossomax! Exercise is very vital to reduce bone density. As much as I hate getting up in the morning, I go to the gym!
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I am not a doctor but I played one on TV

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Admiral

Cindy, so sorry to hear about your fall and bad shoulder, I hope you continue to improve and maybe I'll see you on another cruise someday!

As for me, the pain seems to have disappeared, and only had some stiff muscles last night, which were greatly helped by doing Pilates.
I plan to go to Pilates classes on the cruise too!

Thanks everyone for your concern and stories, even "Dr.Dave"

donna
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Admiral

Donna, were you able to get in touch with the doctor? And if so what did he have to say about the problem you had so soon after taking the pill?

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014