Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: Have you ever been the victim of a crime upon a cruise ship?
No, and I believe the crime rate on ships is over-rated 70 70.00%
No, but I believe the problem is bigger than the cruise lines admit 24 24.00%
Yes - I had a personal item go missing 5 5.00%
Yes - I was assaulted (sexually or otherwise) 1 1.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Cruise Ship Crime Stats

There is a lot of controversy about cruise ship crime. A bill has just been re-introduced into Congress to bring up the topic one more time.

I would appreciate everyone giving us their vote on this topic:

This poll is only for crimes that happen ONBOARD A CRUISE SHIP. This does not include stays in port or any time when you were not on the ship.

NOTE: This topic is now locked because we reached 100 responses. The one thing I wanted to do was repoll an independent group of cruisers to answer a similar Cruise Critic poll that did not make any differentiation between type of crimes onboard. Also, in my opinion, the Cruise Critic poll was not sufficiently designed and it was skewed to read that a full 10% of readers claimed to be victims of crime onboard.

Our poll shows that only 1 person in 100 claims to have been assaulted on a cruise ship. It is not that we believe 1% of people who go on a cruise ship get assaulted, it is that we believe the anti-cruise industry element watches our site and when they saw our poll at least one of them registered with our site in order to vote on the poll.

I want to thank the International Cruise Victims for NOT skewing our poll. We have seen some of the anti-cruise sites stoop pretty low in the past, doing almost anything to win a point here and there. But in this case they chose to let the poll run fairly, and as odd as it sounds to thank someone for not cheating, in this case we are grateful that our is a fair sampling.
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Crime happens everywhere so I don't see why people would think a floating village of strangers would be any different. If you leave your wallet out on the deck chair and it disappears.. um.. your bad. if you walk into a strange mans cabin of your own free will at 1 am and then you get assaulted.... Not that its your fault but you have to be aware of personal safety and the safety of your personal property.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Admiral

I agree with Carolin. I believe that most crime on board a ship is a result of "opportunity." If you are reasonably careful, you will normally be safe, and not a victim of crime.

Although there are all types of people on a cruise, I don't believe that it is a true cross-section of society. While on a ship you won't be exposed to the worst of it. JMO
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 18th, 2009, 01:10 PM
First Mate

Dina's right. I always think it's very strange when women ask if it's ok to wander around the ship in their bathrobe if they can't sleep. Why open yourself up to trouble? Don't forget, these are all strangers that you are sailing with. Do you trust everyone you ever meet? I think not.
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Banned
Captain

We were the very last to leave the pool area on Celebrity Horizon. The staff were cleaning up. I relized that a box (not marked) containing some very valuable (not ship) gold jewelry had fallen from my pocket on or beneath the lounger. I was gone about 5 minutes, and the deck was deserted when I got back. The jewelry was gone. Only the crew could have taken it, there were no passengers in the area. I reported it, but the officer could not care less. It would be quite easy to catch the thief. only 2 employees were in the area.
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Admiral

I've never felt unsafe on a cruise ship, never had anything stolen. On our Europe trip I had something stolen out of my luggage after I checked it at the airport, but then I should have known better than to put it in there in the first place. Luckily I didn't like it anyway lol. I think the vast majority of incidents can be attributed to extremely intoxicated passengers. I suppose that if you do your best to stay under control and not allow yourself to be intoxicated, you greatly reduce your odds of being involved in an incident.

I am sure there are incidents of theft onboard from time to time, but honestly aside from my wedding ring, I really don't like to bring much of value onboard. We do often bring our laptops though and have never had one stolen, but we do have them covered on our homeowner's policy just in case.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Admiral

David and I have been on about 30 cruises. We have only had one crime experience. this was a theft of personal property in our stateroom about 25 years ago.

Otherwise it was a great cruise. Admiral Cruise Lines "Stardancer"
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Admiral

On over 30 cruises on 5 cruise lines I've never had a problem afloat or ashore as far as any type of crime, large or small.
Yet, in my hometown of a little under 300,000 people, everyday there's news of robbery, someone being assaulted, mugged, children being harmed
in one way or the other, the all to often shooting, etc. and the list goes on.
I cannot for the life of me understand why our illustrious leaders in congress want to concentrate on the supposedly " horrid " crimes committed at sea on cruise ships--well, yes, I take that back--with the dimwits we have in congress, I can understand.

If perchance any member of our gifted ones in congress should read this, I urge you to get on with more pressing matters like the housing, economy, wars, terrorism, millions in bonuses given out with taxpayer money, etc. and then when that's all solved , concentrate on the real everyday crimes in our own cities. When you run out of real problems to deal with take the day off.
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Overrated, I have been on 75 plus cruises never had an issue with anything, nor knew anyone who had a bad experience.
I think crime on a ship is less that what it is where any of us live. Just like they say its safer to fly than drive and its probably safer to cruise than live our everyday life.
Norma
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Beenie Weenie hit the proverbial nail squarely on the head. I wouldn't be one bit surprised were I to learn that 99 percent of all assaults, sexual or otherwise, on a cruise ship are as a result of one or both parties being intoxcated.

As regards theft on a cruise ship, while not always, it still is often a case of what we who are/were in the trade call a "crime of opportunity." In other words, if you leave something valuable in a public place, accidentally or otherwise, you've presented someone with a golden opportunity. It's sad that we live in such a world but it's gonna' happen. That being said, it probably occurs far less on cruise ships than it does in our own communities.

Todd
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:28 PM
First Mate

knock on wood....nothing here either....

you have to be careful...LOCK your valuables in the safe or at the pursers desk.........don't get intoxicated and do something stupid......

i feel safer on a ship than in the capital of my state!
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisermeg
knock on wood....nothing here either....

you have to be careful...LOCK your valuables in the safe or at the pursers desk.........don't get intoxicated and do something stupid......

i feel safer on a ship than in the capital of my state!
I am in complete agreement with you. I do have a few drinks here and there on a ship but my DW does not drink so at least one of us is allways sober.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Never had a problem on a cruise ship but someone tried to break into my home twice. Once in a Hawaii hotel we saw someone trying to break into a hotel room on our floor. We reported it and they changed the locks that day.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 20th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Just because you have personally had anything happen, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I believe there are far more "soft" crimes on cruiseships than people realize. Thefts, for the most part, go unreported. One must always be careful but also, don't hide your head in the sand - it happens.

To my way of thinking, the problem usually lies with the cruiselines who want to sweep it under the rug and pretend it didn't happen.
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Admiral

I have never been a victim of any crime on a cruise ship. I do try to be careful not to leave stuff laying around. I believe that probably stuff gets taken all the time, and most often because people loose track of their stuff and give people a chance. It sucks, but that is the society in which we live.
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Felix,

You have a good point as regards theft. What follows some may constitute to be a "rant." If so, you are absolutely correct and I urge everyone who agrees to PLEASE contact your Congressperson and Senators to insist that you will not tolerate even the consideration of a law once again in front of the Congress (and that means piggy-backing it on other legislation).

Somehow, I don't think anyone would believe that such a level of crime as theft (especially a lot of which would probably qualify legally as petty theft) is what Congresswoman Matsui and Senator Kerry had in mind when they reinstituted their crusade against what they imply are the "abominably" (my quotes) inadequate safety measures instituted to address passenger safety from such situations as "falling overboard" (the overwhelming number of which are proven suicides). Speaking of which, I still don't understand how the average passenger standing on the deck of a cruise ship, can simply "fall overboard" unless they are acting as a complete jackass (see the definition for "intoxication" and "gross stupidity). I guess if one really stretched it, such could occur. I simply have never been made aware that it has.

In any event, the amount of crime per capita of all types on cruiseships when compared to those on land, are statistically infinitesimal. Yet again, our two stawart protectors mentioned above are again going to soldier on and spend millions of our hard earned tax dollars, just to initiate legislation which is evidently based upon their preposterously faulted justification. Their only possible reasoning, can only be that they won't be satisfied until they bring an entire industry to heel to their absurd demands. Now that is definitely not what I would consider to be in the best interests of the average American be it fiduciarilly, Constitutionally or even morally.

Todd

Todd
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Captain

30+ cruises and one incident of my property going missing. It was my fault. I left my camera on a table in a ships bar. One of the passengers scoped it up and took it. I did not care about the camera as much as I cared about the pictures of the ship in the NYC blizzard.

One thing I learned was how completely the security cameras cover the ship. Long story short taking the time stamp from my bar check they went to the videos. It was very dark and the image of the passenger picking up my camera was not conclusive. Checked the bar check for the table they were out. Security paid a visit. Passenger knocked on my door and handed me my camera. All this took 2 days but ended happily and I have my pictures

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to candys mom Send a message via MSN to candys mom Send a message via Yahoo to candys mom

I believe from all I have read that crime on cruise ships is far less than the news media would lead us to believe.(serious crime) Im sure there may be minor theft but the penalties for employees if caught are high.
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I do know someone, who's daughter was attacked on a ship.....I am not privvy to too many details, but they did tell me that the line closed ranks immediately. The girl was about 17 yrs old, not drunk, and a lawsuit was filed. I agree, that situations of all kinds, happen onboard, & that other cruisers never hear a peep about it. Be aware at all times, and remember, this is a floating city,and everything that happens on land, happpens here

Shoreguy, that looks like the NCL Gem, when I left Boston in a blizzard! Crew members making snow angels, and, taking pictures of something, many had never seen before. Shoveling snow in the pool, and over the sides, It was an amazing thing to walk on the pool deck, through many inches of snow

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 21st, 2009, 05:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

While sexual assault is a bad thing, I would hate to think there is a real problem with it on cruise ships in particular. I don't think there is, any more than there is at a Mexico resort hotel or even Ft Lauderdale at Spring Break.

I just don't like the stories that sexual predators stake out cruise ships looking for victims. It really doesn't make sense. Why would you stake out a place where you cannot possibly escape the scene of the crime or avoid being identified later.

Even Laurie Dishman who says she was given a "roofie" says she can identify her attacker. It honestly makes no sense for the perpetrator to try what she claims, tho crazy people do crazy thimgs, it is the exception, not the rule.

However - bottom line - do be careful and don't over indulge in drink, and stay close to friends. Don't trust strangers.
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Excuse me, but what is a "roofie"?

I have never been the victim of a crime on a ship, at least I don't think so.
I had a very valuable piece of jewelry go missing once, the nicest thing I've ever owned, but I'm still not sure if it was stolen, or I just lost it.

Last year, on my sister's first cruise, she put her camera bag down to try something on in the gift shop on board, and only when she left the store sometime later, realized she'd forgotten to pick up her camera. In a panic we went back to search, but of course, it was gone! A quick check at the Purser's Desk, and guess what? Somebody had just turned it in, in fact that person was still nearby and heard us all exclaiming with relief, and came over and said she's seen my sister put it down, and a few minutes later noticed it was still there, but no-one in sight, so she brought it to the Purser's Desk, knowing how devastated she would be if she'd lost her own camera. A very lucky break for us, and a big thank you to an honest woman!

I also agree with most posters that most crimes happen because of the perpetrator or the victim being too intoxicated, and I have seen plenty of evidence of that!

donna
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
Excuse me, but what is a "roofie"?
Donna,

A "roofie" is the slang term for a strong sedative called Rohypnol (ro-hip-nol). It can be slipped into a drink to make someone almost catatonic.

It can also be Ketamine (animal tranquilizer) or GHB (Gamma Hydroxy Butyrate) another strong sedative.

This is why women should never leave a drink unattended in a bar or other place.

I have never experienced any crime on a cruise ship other than leaving my sunglasses by a hot tub and when I returned they were gone. No one turned them. I chalk that up to my own negligence.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Familiar Face

I voted against the majority and do believe that "criminal acts" - anything from petty theft to attempted murder - are an issue on cruise ships. Statistically, when you have a significant number of people in a confined space for a period of time, you create an environment that mimics society as a whole. However, whether there is one instance or none, the issue for me is the cruise line policy! If an incident occurs, is there "spin" or cover up or even benign neglect by the ships crew and officers because the home office is controlling the situation in a blatant attempt to avoid the inevitable bad press? Or does the cruise line have properly trained security staff available and willing to assist in any passenger and or crew related incident and willingly discloses the pertinent facts of the incident if questioned?

I have not read the pending legislative position; I do not know the details of how it will impact the industry. If someone has a link to the proposed legislation I would appreciate it.

Thank you Paul for starting this discussion!
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Valid points, Namvet.

I do however believe, that if you are able to look at all sides and exercise due dilligence, that you will conclude that which is behind this subject, the continued attempts by some members of congress to bring the entire cruise industry to heel, are absolutely unwarranted.

Todd
Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

The header from the top of the vote buttons..."Have you ever been the victim of a cruise upon a cruise ship?"

Why , yes, yes I have been a victim of a cruise on a cruise ship.

I have not, however, been a victim of a crime on a cruise ship.
Unles you consider the prices and tactics in the Spa a crime, which I do.

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil&Liz
The header from the top of the vote buttons..."Have you ever been the victim of a cruise upon a cruise ship?"

Why , yes, yes I have been a victim of a cruise on a cruise ship.

I have not, however, been a victim of a crime on a cruise ship.
Unles you consider the prices and tactics in the Spa a crime, which I do.

Phil & Liz
In deference to Mr. Motter I ignored the "slip".However Phil & Liz, your comment on the Spa had me mao!!!!! Well Done !
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Default Cruise Ship Crime-Everyone Please Respond

I have never been a victim of crime on a cruise ship. I do believe that
regardless of what type of vacation you chose, you MUST exercise good judgement and act responsibly no matter what your age. If you are parents and bring teenagers aboard, they need supervision. If you are partying, don't drink too much!

Judy
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Phil, don't forget those one armed bandits in the Casino. I think there is crime in all walks of life. I think the point Paul was trying to make are cruise ships less safe than other vacations. I think cruise lines like airplane travel will always get a lot of press when something happens. As long as people want to read about crime, reporters will continue to write stories. Having a ship involved just makes it a better story. Mike
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Crime can happen anywhere, including on a cruise ship. I am a firm believer in the addage, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". I would tell anybody, on a cruise ship, to place their valuables in the safe that is in their cabin, to not leave valuables where people can get a hold of them. People that cruise come from all elements of the population so caution should be any cruiser's guide.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thank you for pointing out my "gaffe" in titling the poll. "Have you ever been the victim of a cruise upon a cruise ship?" OOps. It is fixed now.

What I was really conectrating on at the time was making sure people did not confuse port, air or other travel-related crime with cruise ship crime, just because it may have happened on the way to a cruise or in port during a cruise. Cruise SHIP crime is the topic here.

To tell the truth, two years ago Cruise Critic did a similar poll and theirs came up saying 10% of the responders had been the victim of a cruise-related crime. I thought that sounded extraordinarily high, so I was trying to be far more careful in how I phrased it. Ever since CC ran that poll the ICV (International Cruise Victims) have been citing that in their research and arguments for more cruise laws.

Had it been an accurate response - that 10% of cruisers were the victims of crimes upon ships, then I would agree with them, but my opinion is that their poll questions were not phrased well, or maybe some people intentionally "doped" the poll to skew the results.

I think it is vastly important to separate sexual assault or other bodily harm from other crimes (theft) because the ICV seems to believe that assault is the primary form of crime on ships. I strongly disagree. I see we have one responder who says they were physically assaulted on a ship, unfortunately they did not leave any specifics in the messages so we have no way of knowing what they are referring to.
Closed Thread