Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Saturday hello

Hi Kids,
A bit of a warm up around these parts this weekend. I want spring to reallyshow it's face now that it's really spring...no more snow I say!

A day at work for me today, and that's a good thing..sprucing up the store, and windows...the lease for out shop is up in June, and my boss is trying to negotiate, and is having a heck of a time...I work in a very wealthy town, and the company that runs the historic block, seems to think the town is bullet proof from the hard times all around us.

They don't want to budge an inch. The same is true of our own biz....we have to move our printing company, because another pie in the sky landlord, thinks his will get his price, even though he has many vacancys. Have they all not heard of a bird in the hand theory? Oy!

Ok I have vented.......make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:58 AM
Admiral

And a "Top of the Mornin'" to you Trip and all who follow!

You know Trip, I think those two landlords are about to get a rude awakening.

It's a beautiful Saturday morning here in upper East Tennessee as the sun rises from beyond the mountains. the highs are to be in the sixties both today and tomorrow.

Today is one of three weekends a year I am “unreachable.” They are: The Spring NASCAR races at Bristol (this weekend), The Indianapolis 500 (USAC)/Coca Cola Six Hundred (NASCAR) events in May and of course the August night NASCAR races at Bristol (which is only about 55 miles up the road.

When I used to go to Bristol as a teenager shortly after it opened in ‘61, the stands held about 15,000 people. Today it’s pushing 160,000 (and it’s only a half mile track!). Even if you’re not into racing you owe it to yourself to just watch a little of it as one driver a few years back when asked what he could compare it to replied, “It’s like flying fighter jets in a gymnasium.” Bristol remains the most popular ticket in NASCAR.

Prayers to Judy, Luanne, Delft, her Mum and all others who need them along with a request for a deluge of Blessings on everyone.

Todd
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Good Morning where beautiful bright sunshine continues. It was cool yesterday, and this morning seemed about the same when i let the dogs out, but it doesnt seem to matter even a little when the sun feels so warm and bright.

The sold sign has been placed on the farm. I am so pleased. Now we can pack and leave boxes where ever we want, so that the house doesnt look on "display" all the time. The house inspector literally could not find one thing wrong with the house yesterday when he came. I knew that already, that house is in A1 condition. The only thing he found is a thing we never corrected. The door handle on one door...turn the oposite way! The new owner said its such an odd thing they will leave it that way. Kind of part of the character!

Sam and I went to dinner last night as per our Friday night routine. Today alot on task, and I also have a few hours of paper work to do.

Have a great day every one.
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:26 AM
Captain

The sun is rising as I sit here at my computer in southern Ohio. It is cold this morning but due to improve all day and weekend. I hope it does as I am ready for spring to really get here. My day consists of paying a few bills, doing some chores for my mom who is under the weather from a heart procedure, then heading to Dayton, Ohio for a square dance tonight.
Trip, good luck in the battle of the landlords. I must be getting old becuase I don't like change as much as in my younger years. So if I had to move a business it would be hard for me to do.
Todd, I'm right with you on the NASCAR weekends. I too am a big fan and have spent many a weekend in Bristol watching those fighter jets go round. I remember the day of only about 15,000 with only concrete bleachers on the front stretch. We are about a 5 hour drive from there but went to both races for years. Haven't been for about 5 yrs now but still watch on TV. Martinsville is still one of my favs and hope to get there again in the future.
Hope everyone has a great day and prayers going out to all those in need.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates,

I am sort of in disbelief. I just got a message from our pastor. Last night our church showed the movie Fireproof - which I didn't attend as I just didn't feel good. One of the ladies that is part of our church was there before the movie, helping my mom and a couple of other ladies prepare the desserts that were for after the movie. She watched the movie, helped in the kitchen. She went home, told her husband she loved him, then collapsed and died. She has just started to come to church, but her daughter is one of my closest friends at church - a lady who is an intregal part of our ministry team.

I don't know what the plans are for the day. I am just a bit overwhelmed at the moment. It is in the teens here, the sun is shining and it is breezy. Not a day to linge outside, even tho; we are all suffering from severe cabin fever.

I hope you all have a good day
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM
First Mate

Hi ALL<

It has been a long time since I stopped by. I have been busy with life. Teaching full time, going to school, working with the boy scouts, and being a wife and mom.

I will try to do better with staying in touch. today we are going to see the Globetrotters with the whole family that is 10 of us, should be fun.

Hope all is well.

Melissa

Carnival Miracle
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!

My goodness you guys are all up early on a Saturday. You're sure making a lot of racket in here. Go back to bed!
Just kidding, I thought I was talking to d/s this morning .

Well is about 1 degree above freezing right now but should get up to 60 and sometime today the sun should make an appearance. The nights should be warming up here soon.

I got a little bit of shocking news last night. Many years ago when I was in my early teens I met a guy through all of our musical connections. He was one of those people who stick in your mind. My girlfriend who also knew him and I would reminisce over the years and wonder, Hey what ever happened to Barry? This guy was one of the funniest people I ever met in my life. At the time we met him he worked for a large chain of music stores as an external relations guy. Anyway years later our paths crossed again and he had found his natural calling as a stand up comedian. The guy was a scream. My girlfriend and I caught his act a few times and we had a great time catching up on what we'd all been up to over the years. Well that was about 1996. Well she and I started talking again last night and said "hey, what ever happened to Barry.

My girlfriend googled him and we were shocked to find out he had gone out on the road with Rodney Carrington and had opened for him for many years, they became best friends and in 2003 Barry died in his sleep in his hotel room from a heart attack. But he died doing what he loved most, I just felt bad we didn't keep in closer touch. But we were all busy doing what we loved, which is good I suppose. Everyone should be that fortunate.

Well I am off to start the day. I need to get breakfast made, and kids fed and dressed then get my work for the day done. Hope you all have a good morning! Prayers to those of you who need them.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from Montreal, where as Delft said, it looks nice and sunny, but that stubborn mercury is stuck at -5C and not expected to get much higher.
In farenheit, that's in the 20's - way too cold for spring!

Trip vented about landlords, and Delft mentioned restaurants, and it reminded me of my newest pet peeve.
Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe I'm just spoiled from so many lovely cruise ship dining rooms, but I just can't take these new warehouse-style, open concept, extremely noisy restaurants.

We also went out for dinner last night, as we try to do some Fridays.
I'd had a particularly stressful day at work and was tired and cranky, and all I wanted was a nice meal in a quiet relaxing atmosphere.
The first place we tried, had a St. Patrick's Day party (2 days pre-parade!) spilling out onto the sidewalk, with loud blaring music. Skip that.
The 2nd place we tried, a new seafood place, stunk so much of fish, even in the parking lot, and had a menu on the door that didn't look particularly appetizing, so we bypassed that.
Right next to them was another bar/grill type of place, but as we approached, I could hear heavy rock music being blasted out of the outdoor speakers, so we made a quick about turn and back to the car.
That's 3 for 3 strikes out.
Next we tried one of my old favourites, but the parking lot was so crowded there was a parking attendant directing traffic, and no place to park, so we gave up. #4 down.
Then, we suddenly remembered a very old place that's been around for years, Italian, but with anything you could want on the menu, and always good, so we headed there. Hadn't been there in years, but the parking lot had space, there was no line-up, lots of seats, a welcoming staff, and finally, a quiet, relaxed atmosphere. But the best part was the food was excellent!
We certainly have no shortage of restaurants to choose from in our little area, it's as bad as downtown, but every one we've tried lately has been a disappointment both in food, service, and noise level.
It was so nice to find a small, quiet, intimate sort of place again, and I think we will be going back there again soon!

OK, enough venting for today. I've got housework to do, and then I hope to work some more on my Emerald Princess review....stay tuned!

donna
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:10 AM
Admiral

RD Sam and I end up half the time at McBay. The food is always fresh, its just a plain common sense place to eat, its not to noisey, people are very friendly, and on a Friday night we just like to go there. Last Saturday we went to the Biefteque, spent a small fortune, got a so so meal. Last night we went to Mcbay for under 20 bucks, sat for an hour and a half talking, and walked out happy. much can be said for simplicity. Better head back into my bedroom, where I pack it up for the painting!
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Donna,

All I have to say to your restaurant quandry is AMEN!

Here in the states there is a chain known as Steak and Ale. There used to be one about thirty miles that we used ot visit each Anniversary, until the time we pulled into the parking lot and noticed the huge "Hooters" sign. :evil:

In any event, Steak and Ale is a moderately priced beef house with a marvelous salad bar. The layout consists of separate small dining rooms with the salad bar in a central area. Purveyors of very good cuisine, the atmosphere is wonderful. I just wonder why more restaurants don't adopt such a layout. It seems today, even if the food is good there is no ambience and they're laid out as would be a school cafeteria.

Todd
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Delft, I used to go to McBays often, unitl the time I got violently ill there.
Maybe just a coincidence, but I'm not taking any chances.
Haven't tried the new Biftheque, but I will definitely go back to the old Place Tevere.

donna
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM
Admiral

We actually go once a week there for at least 18 years now. We either go Friday night for dinner or we go Sunday morning for breakfrast with friends. We have never gotten sick, which is why I always like to go there. Its just very reliable. You may want to give it another try. You could have gotten sick from the foad, it can happen any where, but their reputation is very good . The new biefteque was nothing special,although we had a very good waiter. We have also gone a few times to madisons. poor service usually, ok food though. Porte greque we like but they rush you out, its so small. Same likes Also Aux Viieux Deluth.
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Good morning all from partly sunny breezy Florida. We have finally gotten some rain in this little corner of the state, and you can almost here the plants drinking it up.

Jen, so sorry to hear about the lady from your church. What a shock for everyone. My prayers go out to her family and your church family.

Delft, I've been so happy to read about the sale of the farm and how things are progressing for you to have your mom and your sister close by. I know it's been a lot of work and heartache, but I'm glad that things will be a bit easier in the future.

Not much on the to do list around here. Just going to enjoy the rest of the weekend with Jake.

Take care everyone.
Phyll
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone:

I'm downtown Minneapolis. Betty and I decided to have a little weekend getaway at a hotel we both enjoy. We'll be going to my favorite restaurant tonight and heading home in the morning. It was a nice surprise when we checked in and found out that we had been upgraded to a full suite. It was even more surprising because the hotel seems fully booked with the NCAA regionals at the Metrodome. We don't know what to do with all this room but we'll think of something.

Todd: I'm sorry to say that Steak and Ale went bankrupt last summer. They are all closed down except for a very few that were privately owned and may still be in business.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Default Saturday Hello

Good morning! Not a nice day here in SoCal getting ready for the "big one" tomorrow, a quarter to half an inch of rain! I hope we can slog thru it!

Keith just left for the little airport in Riverside. Some sort of meeting.
Since I can't go anywhere, my day will consist of washing floors and whatever much-needed housework.

Have a good day!

Judy
Old March 21st, 2009, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Mike,

So sorry to hear about Steak and Ale. I guess nothin's sacred anymore, huh? They always presented what was for us, the best mid-level dining experience and in some ways, exceeded many of the more vaunted establishments in Manhattan we've visited over the years.

Todd