Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:21 PM
First Mate

No American Civil war in Canada, I'm afraid. But maybe some stuff left over from the War of 1812 when Britain/Canada beat the US.

When I was a child we used to get milk to the door from Borden's. I remember the bottle. If you didn't collect the milk fast enough in winter... you got a milkcicle. Then we used to have to use the milk bottle to hold the tickets but the milk was delivered in cartons or bags. (I know, people think that Canadians are weird for having milk in bags.) There was also a baker who used to come around named Solly. Never had an ice cream truck though.

But really, these are childhood memories for me. I'm just after the baby boomers, so I haven't heard the Beattles when they were big. I think we got our first colour TV just before the Olympics here in Montreal, 1976.

The only old things in my house, besides me and the house. (The house dates from 1885). Is a set of silverware that my grandparents managed to saved through the war and a pocket watch.

My view of keeping things is my view about bookshelves... if you don't throw out some of the old you don't have room for the new. That's why I give away and sell some of my old books online... so I have room for new ideas.
Old March 28th, 2009, 06:30 PM
First Mate

Ahh, Pantene, can't live without it.

I've been relying on a certain website where you can order online. I find my product, like maybe SeaBreeze face cleaner, and by a case.

Why do they insist on 'improving' something that works wonders?

Old March 28th, 2009, 06:34 PM
First Mate

For the same reason that they continue to improve products by making the packaging smaller...

Under the new Canadian Children’s Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative all cereal manufacturers agreed to lower the total sugar in their cereal to 12 grams per serving or less.... so what did all the manufacturers do? They redefined the serving as smaller and didn't change the sugar content.

Of course, now there is a call by the public to legally force them to do it. Funny part is... it's actually illegal to advertise to children under 13 in Canada. And in Quebec, it's illegal to use animation to advertise to children. Stopped all those animated Barbie ads right in their tracks.
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Ripple......gone.
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM
First Mate

Ladies... Consumer Reports just did a report on how to find discontinued cosmetics on the Shop Smart website. The article is in PDF... http://www.shopsmartmag.org/files/Truth_in_beauty.pdf
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Admiral

Seadog2,

Ripple is GONE? Oh NO! Can't be!

The next thing will be that Thunderbird has disappeared as well!

Well, if that happens, I'll just have to drown my sorrows in a case of Blatz!

Wait a second, are you telling me that Blatz........

Todd
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Admiral

Blatz now there's some memories.
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
Seadog2,

Ripple is GONE? Oh NO! Can't be!

The next thing will be that Thunderbird has disappeared as well!

Well, if that happens, I'll just have to drown my sorrows in a case of Blatz!

Wait a second, are you telling me that Blatz........

Todd
I checked we still have Night Train Express so you will be okay.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Speaking of wine......

Parents today would be shocked at this and probably call for parents such as mine to be thrown in jail but you must remember, I was a young child in the early fifties and both decorum and rules were different back then. that's probably because they didn't have the knowledge as do parents today.

One of the treats we children from about the age of about eight received on three occasions only each year (Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter) was one glass of wine. No, it wasn't a regular glass, it was a very little wine glass that I guess was actually made for children and held half of what mother's gorgeous crystal albeit very small (as wine glasses go) wine glasses and of course we got only one. We also didn't like anything but something really sweet and would never drink what the adults, save one, drank. My maternal grandmother, however, loved Mogen David (which we kids called "Morgan David"). So she and her grandchildren had a glass of "Morgen David."

I never even thought about the alcohol content of regular wine and through most of my teen age years figured you'd have to drink a couple of bottles to even get a "buzz", so I never knew until I became an adult (and I'm sure my parents never knew, period) of the high alcohol content of fo wines such as Concord grapesweet wine. It's probably double or more what they drank. So in fact, we probably were getting as much alcohol out of a glass of our tiny glass of wine as they were from theirs! If our parents were still around, they'd probably be aghast.

Several months ago I had a couple of glasses of Mogen David for probably the first time in fifty years. It brought back a lot of memories and if anything, it's even sweeter than I remembered though I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Either that or Harvey's Bristol Cream will have to do since I obviously can't get Ripple anymore.

Todd
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Admiral

I can't think of any product that I have used that has been discontinued, I'm sure there is I just can't think of one. But, there have been many places that we would find to eat at and really liked the food and after a while would always close. Never failed, if we really liked it they would be gone within a year.

I can think of a LOT of TV shows though.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ya. Like the quirky show Life On Mars, which I so enjoy, it ends this week..Every time a "quirky" show appears, with wonderful casts, and ingenious twists, the powers that be, cancel it...except Lost,which I wish they canceled after the 2nd season....ok, ok, Rd, I am ducking!!!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 29th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Todd I'm not aghast. My dad is portuguese and makes homemade wine. When the wine was ready for the first time. The whole family would have a tasting. My sis and me had very small glasses. We were probably around the same ages as you were. I don't think it wrong, my dad never gave us to much, he wanted us to share in what he had done. He planted some wine grapes his back yard. I can't wait for the tasting.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I'm a Life on Mars fan as well.

I never watched Perry Mason in the 'old' days but I now watch it every day as it comes on at lunch time. So I guess I kinda missed that originally.

My high school days Jade East was in the old original green bottles.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:30 PM
First Mate

Being Jewish and male, I had my first taste of wine on day 8 of my birth. My parents never hid alcohol in the house and it was never a big deal. I don't know how much Manuschevitz (or as we call it, Manusugar) we have drunk over the years when I was under the drinking age. It may be the reason that I hardly drink at all and for years I was a teetotaller.

The drinking age in Quebec is 18, it's more of a suggestion than a reality. Which may be why we don't have so many college students running around and acting like idiots and drinking to get drunk.

Mogen David is incredibly sweet wine. I think it's first ingredient is sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
Speaking of wine......

Parents today would be aghast at this and probably call for parents such as mine to be thrown in jail but you must remember, I was a young child in the early fifties and both decorum and rules were different back then. that's probably because they didn't have the knowledge as do parents today.

One of the treats we children from about the age of about eight received on three occasions only each year (Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter) was one glass of wine. No, it wasn't a regular glass, it was a very little wine glass that I guess was actually made for children and held half of what mother's gorgeous crystal albeit very small (as wine glasses go) wine glasses and of course we got only one. We also didn't like anything but something really sweet and would never drink what the adults, save one, drank. My maternal grandmother, however, loved Mogen David (which we kids called "Morgan David"). So she and her grandchildren had a glass of "Morgen David."

I never even thought about the alcohol content of regular wine and through most of my teen age years figured you'd have to drink a couple of bottles to even get a "buzz", so I never knew until I became an adult (and I'm sure my parents never knew, period) of the high alcohol content of fo wines such as Concord grapesweet wine. It's probably double or more what they drank. So in fact, we probably were getting as much alcohol out of a glass of our tiny glass of wine as they were from theirs! If our parents were still around, they'd probably be aghast.

Several months ago I had a couple of glasses of Mogen David for probably the first time in fifty years. It brought back a lot of memories and if anything, it's even sweeter than I remembered though I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Either that or Harvey's Bristol Cream will have to do since I obviously can't get Ripple anymore.

Todd

Todd

Todd
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ephraim, for my boys as well..did you ever drink, the blackberry Manashevitz for the "runs,"oy...[sorry kids] it works great!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Ephraim, for my boys as well..did you ever drink, the blackberry Manashevitz for the "runs,"oy...[sorry kids] it works great!
Nope. If we did, we would have had to buy it in the US. We have government controlled liquor stores here. For the longest time they thought that Carmel and Manashevitz were all the kosher wines in the world. It's funny because we probably have the best selection of wine in all of North America in Quebec but when it came to Kosher wine they really didn't know what to do. Took them a few years to figure it out. Now they have a nice selection. In fact, 83 different Kosher wines are available.

Have you ever tried the Moscato Bartenura Provincia di Pavia. It's a Moscato, so it's slightly sweet (dessert wine) but it's so refreshingly nice.