Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to catsandra
Default MSC Ochrastera- NEVER SAIL on this ship

Hi, just got back from cruise, Ft. Lauderdale, FLA 2-21-09. Just want to confirm comments I read before the cruise that this line is terrible. It's all true and more. Small room, I had balcony. Room service quick, however on the sandwich besure to get 10 as there is 1 TABlespoon of TUNA, no joke, on sandwich. Food in dining room lukewarm to cold. Took 2 hours before main meal and it was served to 1 person while the other one waited 30 minutes. No refills on water or coffee, very unstaff, not like typical cruises where your waterglass is filled before empty. Food was awful and buffet food tasted better, when your starving buffet food actually taste better. I can go on but wanted to let you know all the nightmares are true. DO not book on this ship
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

MSC is different. They do not cater to Americans, so to speak, so if you want a Carnival style cruise don't book them. If you want to experience something more European then give it a try. It isn't for everyone.

MSC does have a lot of people that do enjoy them and I would certainly sail with them. Especially if they finally decide to sail from Galveston!!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Admiral

I once considered booking with MSC, but just the reservation process turned into one huge issue after another. Ray is correct, they are definitely an Italian cruise line and it is not at all like what I would consider a North American based cruiseline. Costa is a little bit better, but not much, in Europe at least. I really feel it is worth it to pay a little more for Carnival, NCL, RCCL etc...there are too many to mention. But if anyone does go ahead and book MSC, I would encourage you to really do your homework, have realistic expectations to avoid disappointment and buyer's remorse. Also investigate booking through and agent, and ensure pricing you recieve is accurate, because it was all over the place depending who you were dealing with at the time I looked into booking with them.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I will agree that this is not your average cruise choice for most Amercians, since it has a different flavor, although our own RayB has sailed and enjoyed the experience. He always has a good cruise

I would hope your ta, educated you on, on this ship fully... hope you have abetter cruise next time....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Admiral

I considered booking MSC as the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) is Italian, born and bred, however even that wasn't enough for us to take a chance after we started looking into what to expect from the line. Maybe someday, but I think we'll go Costa forst to "tune up" for the MSC cruise.

Ken
"SKY"
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Admiral

We are going on our 2nd cruise with MSC , we sail April 3rd. We would not be doing this had we had any real problems the first time. Even on that cruise the worst commemt made by passengers (that we talked with) was the food was no good. But we never saw anyone who went hungry, you could find something to eat.

MSC is definitely not like Carnival, Royal Carib. or NCL and if you go with the thought that it is like them then you will not have a good time. It is not even like Costa, which I understand is more like Carnival or Royal Carib. but still not exactly like.

One thing we really liked is that there are so few announcements, yes they are all given in 5 languages but since there are only about 2 or 3 in a whole day it is easy to handle. Also they are not always pushing you to spend, spend spend! A waiter walks by and you say no you don't need a drink it will be a while before they approach you again.

We have been on 5 different lines and of the 5 only one we did not like and really don't plan on ever sailing with again. But is sure wasn't not MSC. No I would not recommend MSC to all of my friends but I would recommend MSC to someone who wants to try something different.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

You only mention the food as if it is the only reason to cruise. How was the ship, entertainment, pool area, activities, lounges, ect...

I don't cruise for the food and always get more than enough to eat. I would want to know about the rest of the experience not just small tuna sandwiches.

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Captain

We cruised on the Orchestra on a transatlantic crossing, I won't post all the details here because I've posted the majority of them on the MSC boards. I do want to say that the cruiseline is different from anything we've ever tried. We quite enjoyed the majority of the food but as someone else has said, the food isn't the only thing of importance on a cruise. The ship is incredible, it is so beautiful and completely immaculate. The cabins had lots of drawers for storage which was appreciated. We felt that we had excellent value that superceded any of the minor things that we felt could have been better. The ship was quite smokey which was an issue for a family with allergies and asthma but overall, would I cruise MSC again, yes I think that I would.

I personally always get riled when I see a new poster who comes to the boards and the first comments include "don't ever cruise this line". I respect a person's right to an opinion, especially one different from my own but a poster loses credibility when the only posts they ever make are bashing a particular line or cruise. I'm sorry she was disappointed but many others will cruise MSC who will not feel this way.
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

We enjoyed our trip on Feb. 21. All I can say is Attitude, Attitude, Attitude. We have sailed 49 times, never a bad one. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion but to tell someone that they have wasted their money is a little over the top don't you think?
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Captain

Valtime, I couldn't agree more about the whole 'you've wasted your money' comment, like anyone needs to hear that a few weeks before sailing. It's one thing to go armed and ready because you've done your research but to have someone say that is tantamount to saying 'you idiot what were you thinking?'

BTW, I am glad to hear that you had a great cruise. In all the cruises we have ever done we've only had one that was horrible, but it wasn't an MSC it was the Carnival Destiny and we had sailed Carnival many times before that experience and many times since. I think the majority of the time your attitude plays the biggest part, but I will admit there are times that no matter how much optimism I shove into vacation I just can't make it positive. I hope MSC survives, but they will only make it if they are listening to the objective comments of their passengers.
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

2littletime - amen to that. We just booked the Carnival Triumph yesterday for the 12th of April. Guess I just can't get enough tender loving care from crew members.
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to catsandra
Default why is everyone offended I made a negative remark

Valtine and others. Why are you saying I have a attititude problem. I thought this board was to tell fellow cruisers the truth and not say "CRUise was wonderful". I hope other's don't think that way then the message board would not be informative. I must have "MET" 100 other people with the same comments as me so it was not my attitude, they all said the same thing "I'll never sail on this ship". It was not just me.
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I have heard many negative reviews of MSC too. Never sailed them but would consider for the fares and seem to be nice ships.

Don't take it personally Cat. 8)

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Captain

Default Re: why is everyone offended I made a negative remark

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsandra
Valtine and others. Why are you saying I have a attititude problem. I thought this board was to tell fellow cruisers the truth and not say "CRUise was wonderful". I hope other's don't think that way then the message board would not be informative. I must have "MET" 100 other people with the same comments as me so it was not my attitude, they all said the same thing "I'll never sail on this ship". It was not just me.
I didn't say that you have an attitude problem and certainly didn't intend for anyone to get that impression from my comments. Everyone takes different things away from a cruise both good and bad. To start a post with don't ever cruise this line or indeed any line is just not helpful to those who are trying to make a decision. I will be the first one to say that this cruise line has issues, some of them serious, my only thought is that serious issues mean different things to different folks. The smokers on our transatlantic loved the freedom to smoke wherever they pleased. The people who don't want to cruise with kids loved the cruise we were on. The people who hate pasta, you guessed it, they hated the cruise we were on. My biggest problem with any of your comments is not that you voiced your opinion because that is exactly what these boards are for, but that you told someone that they'd wasted their money, point blank, and I just felt that was a little more harsh than what anyone needs to be. When you've invested a couple thousand dollars or more, especially in this economic climate, you don't need someone making that type of comment about what is likely a vacation that you are looking very forward to.

Happy cruising, hopefully you'll find another cruiseline that you will enjoy more.
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

2LittleTime - you are good.
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Catsandra,

Everyone wants to hear of cruise experiences be they good or bad. You will, of course, find folks that are so loyal to a particular cruiseline to such a degree that they would castigate virtually any complaint. Hopefully at Cruisemates such folk are few and far between.

We all both welcome and value your input. Inasmuch as you are undoubtedly one who doesn't regularly post, allow me to make some recommendations.

People will always be leery of any poster who is new, coming onto this board using as a basis to either condemn completely or laud to the skies any cruise based solely on cuisine and room size. Therefore, please take the time to write a comprehensive review containing both what you like and didn't like (regardless of where each side of the scales eventually ends up).

Many members dismiss out of hand either overly positive or overly negative reviews whenever the poster doesn't take the time to write a comprehensive review by providing information such as, "I found the sauces to be extremely salty and the vegetables at most meals to have very little flavor. Also the beef consistently turned out to be extremely well done even though I always ordered it medium." Those are two comments that a cruiser reading a review can (no pun intended) "get their teeth into."

If you'll stay with this website and want to invest a little time, the site's Editor and founder, Paul Motter and several others, have some excellent articles on file as to how best write a review.

The more experience you gain in cruising, the more you'll understand what I'm saying. It also goes without saying that "To be forewarned is to be well armed." Toward that end I suggest you thoroughly investigate a cruise line and even a particular ship before you book your cruise. It doesn't absolutely guarantee a great cruise, but some pre booking investigation certainly provides a huge help.

Oh, and we all hope your next cruise experience is, "The Best!"

Todd
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
MSC is different. They do not cater to Americans, so to speak, so if you want a Carnival style cruise don't book them. If you want to experience something more European then give it a try. It isn't for everyone.

MSC does have a lot of people that do enjoy them and I would certainly sail with them. Especially if they finally decide to sail from Galveston!!
Since reading "Cruise Confidential", by Brian David Bruns, DW and I have decided to leave as much as possible of our "American attitude" at home in the future. A cruise on MSC or Costa might be a good exercise for us.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10