CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Rogue Waves (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/362774-rogue-waves.html)

Trip March 25th, 2009 08:27 AM

Rogue Waves

This moring on GMA, they had a clip on this. In a segment on The Bermuda Triangle, They had a video clip of what looked to be a lounge, when a rogue wave hit, and people were scattered like marbles....if you go to the site, they may have that video....

I remember years ago, hearing about people being tied into their beds on the QE2, the high waves fgot so bad, and there was a you tube video I am going to see if I can find I have saves somewhere, of gigantic waves coming up to the window that the person is videoing from.

Have you been on a ship where the waves were just unreal, or actually had a rogue wave hit the ship?

Sid1962 March 25th, 2009 09:30 AM

We have only sailed the Caribbean, and it sort of seems like most of the rogue or giant wave stories are from events in either the Atlantic or Pacific.

When we sailed Summit in 2004, the first sea day out of Fort Lauderale was choppy. It wasn't all that bad, and in fact it was really nice in the thalassotherapy pool as the water sloished back and forth. That was the roughest we have yet encountered. Hopefully that holds as we are sailing Constellation this Friday.

Sid1962

shoreguy March 25th, 2009 09:51 AM

Trip

This one works. Fantastic :D

katlady March 25th, 2009 11:14 AM

I have never been on a ship when a rouge wave hit. However, on my Alaskan cruise we hit some rough waters. I was on Celebrity and at the midnight buffet the Ice Sulptures were moving back and forth pretty good. I was afraid they would fall on my head. :shock: This cruise prove to my hubby and me that we don't get seasick even in rough seas.

The rouge wave is crazy. We have earthquakes in the ocean and that can cause those kinds of waves. One of the biggest earthquake ever recorded was in Prince William Sound, Alaska it was a magnitude 9.2. :shock: This earthquake had a Tsunami. Here is information on USGS about the Tsunami. The Tsunami took more lives than the earthquake. (tsunami 113, earthquake 15). It's my opinion the reason why rouge waves happen on the Pacific is we have more movement from the plates.

Quote:

This shock generated a tsunami that devasted many towns along the Gulf of Alaska, and left serious damage at Alberni and Port Alberni, Canada, along the West Coast of the United States (15 killed), and in Hawaii. The maximum wave height recorded was 67 meters at Valdez Inlet. Seiche action in rivers, lakes, bayous, and protected harbors and waterways along the Gulf Coast of Louisiana and Texas caused minor damage. It was also recorded on tide gages in Cuba and Puerto Rico.

shoreguy March 25th, 2009 11:59 AM

Good thing a Tsunami does not create a rouge wave. In fact in open sea it is just a ripple of energy. The problem is when it reaches the cost and that energy is forced up creating a giant shore break.

Rouge waves are surface waves created by unusual winds

Rogue waves (also known as freak waves, monster waves, killer waves, and extreme waves) are relatively large and spontaneous ocean surface waves that are a threat even to large ships and ocean liners. In oceanography, they are more precisely defined as waves whose height is more than twice the significant wave height (SWH), which is itself defined as the mean of the largest third of waves in a wave record. Therefore rogue waves are not necessarily the biggest waves found at sea; they are, rather, surprisingly large waves for a given sea state.

Trip March 25th, 2009 12:05 PM

Shoreguy I do believe that's THE one..thanks! Unreal huh?

katlady March 25th, 2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoreguy
Good thing a Tsunami does not create a rouge wave. In fact in open sea it is just a ripple of energy. The problem is when it reaches the cost and that energy is forced up creating a giant shore break.

Rouge waves are surface waves created by unusual winds

Rogue waves (also known as freak waves, monster waves, killer waves, and extreme waves) are relatively large and spontaneous ocean surface waves that are a threat even to large ships and ocean liners. In oceanography, they are more precisely defined as waves whose height is more than twice the significant wave height (SWH), which is itself defined as the mean of the largest third of waves in a wave record. Therefore rogue waves are not necessarily the biggest waves found at sea; they are, rather, surprisingly large waves for a given sea state.

Cool information thanks for sharing. I like learning about the Earth.

susierphillips March 25th, 2009 02:00 PM

no rogue waves for me but we did go through Hurricane Bonnie in Bermuda. What a trip. 40 foot seas.

coolaide March 26th, 2009 06:18 PM

What are the seas like towards the end of May from Boston to Burmuda? Anyone know?