Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Rogue Waves

This moring on GMA, they had a clip on this. In a segment on The Bermuda Triangle, They had a video clip of what looked to be a lounge, when a rogue wave hit, and people were scattered like marbles....if you go to the site, they may have that video....

I remember years ago, hearing about people being tied into their beds on the QE2, the high waves fgot so bad, and there was a you tube video I am going to see if I can find I have saves somewhere, of gigantic waves coming up to the window that the person is videoing from.

Have you been on a ship where the waves were just unreal, or actually had a rogue wave hit the ship?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:30 AM
First Mate

We have only sailed the Caribbean, and it sort of seems like most of the rogue or giant wave stories are from events in either the Atlantic or Pacific.

When we sailed Summit in 2004, the first sea day out of Fort Lauderale was choppy. It wasn't all that bad, and in fact it was really nice in the thalassotherapy pool as the water sloished back and forth. That was the roughest we have yet encountered. Hopefully that holds as we are sailing Constellation this Friday.

Sid1962
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Captain

Trip

This one works. Fantastic

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Admiral

I have never been on a ship when a rouge wave hit. However, on my Alaskan cruise we hit some rough waters. I was on Celebrity and at the midnight buffet the Ice Sulptures were moving back and forth pretty good. I was afraid they would fall on my head. This cruise prove to my hubby and me that we don't get seasick even in rough seas.

The rouge wave is crazy. We have earthquakes in the ocean and that can cause those kinds of waves. One of the biggest earthquake ever recorded was in Prince William Sound, Alaska it was a magnitude 9.2. This earthquake had a Tsunami. Here is information on USGS about the Tsunami. The Tsunami took more lives than the earthquake. (tsunami 113, earthquake 15). It's my opinion the reason why rouge waves happen on the Pacific is we have more movement from the plates.

Quote:
This shock generated a tsunami that devasted many towns along the Gulf of Alaska, and left serious damage at Alberni and Port Alberni, Canada, along the West Coast of the United States (15 killed), and in Hawaii. The maximum wave height recorded was 67 meters at Valdez Inlet. Seiche action in rivers, lakes, bayous, and protected harbors and waterways along the Gulf Coast of Louisiana and Texas caused minor damage. It was also recorded on tide gages in Cuba and Puerto Rico.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Captain

Good thing a Tsunami does not create a rouge wave. In fact in open sea it is just a ripple of energy. The problem is when it reaches the cost and that energy is forced up creating a giant shore break.

Rouge waves are surface waves created by unusual winds

Rogue waves (also known as freak waves, monster waves, killer waves, and extreme waves) are relatively large and spontaneous ocean surface waves that are a threat even to large ships and ocean liners. In oceanography, they are more precisely defined as waves whose height is more than twice the significant wave height (SWH), which is itself defined as the mean of the largest third of waves in a wave record. Therefore rogue waves are not necessarily the biggest waves found at sea; they are, rather, surprisingly large waves for a given sea state.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Shoreguy I do believe that's THE one..thanks! Unreal huh?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Good thing a Tsunami does not create a rouge wave. In fact in open sea it is just a ripple of energy. The problem is when it reaches the cost and that energy is forced up creating a giant shore break.

Rouge waves are surface waves created by unusual winds

Rogue waves (also known as freak waves, monster waves, killer waves, and extreme waves) are relatively large and spontaneous ocean surface waves that are a threat even to large ships and ocean liners. In oceanography, they are more precisely defined as waves whose height is more than twice the significant wave height (SWH), which is itself defined as the mean of the largest third of waves in a wave record. Therefore rogue waves are not necessarily the biggest waves found at sea; they are, rather, surprisingly large waves for a given sea state.
Cool information thanks for sharing. I like learning about the Earth.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:00 PM
First Mate

no rogue waves for me but we did go through Hurricane Bonnie in Bermuda. What a trip. 40 foot seas.
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Passenger

What are the seas like towards the end of May from Boston to Burmuda? Anyone know?