Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:52 PM
First Mate

Okay, can someone explain something for me, it's never really made sense...

The Cayman islands (according to the CIA) has only 3.85% arable land. On that land they grow. There agriculture is: vegetables, fruit; livestock; turtle farming. Now, Tortuga rum has to be made from sugar cane, as all rum is. So, I wonder where all the sugar cane comes from?

The US is a very interesting place. You have an embargo on Cuba and you can't buy their products and yet....
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim

The Cayman islands (according to the CIA) has only 3.85% arable land. On that land they grow. There agriculture is: vegetables, fruit; livestock; turtle farming. Now, Tortuga rum has to be made from sugar cane, as all rum is. So, I wonder where all the sugar cane comes from?

The US is a very interesting place. You have an embargo on Cuba and you can't buy their products and yet....
Tell us about the turkey quota.

Maybe they get the sugar from another Caribbean island. Or indirect importation of sugar from Cuba is legal.
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Ephraim; here is my guess; I believe the rum cake factory is a US, Miami based company, so they probably get their sugar cane from Miami area; Grand Cayman does a lot of trade with Jamaica but I don't know if Jamaica grows sugar cane; not enough flat land... ??
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:36 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterchick
Quote:

Tell us about the turkey quota.

Maybe they get the sugar from another Caribbean island. Or indirect importation of sugar from Cuba is legal.
The turkey quota is one turkey from LA per ship. But she can bring her husband.

(Canada has import restrictions on Turkeys, in fact it's extremely restricted, but there is an exception for day trippers for one turkey per car. A US supermarket was having a 2-for-1 sale on Turkeys and people didn't know about the restriction. And as we drove toward the border the side of the road was littered with the extra frozen turkey, dumped because people couldn't bring them into Canada. Imagine a roadside littered with giant frozen turkeys.)

You only have to label where the Rum was made.... not the origin of the ingredients, even if it is essentially the only ingredient. So you can't import Cuban sugar... but you can drink it I just find that odd.
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Ephraim,

Could it be effective use of the land that's there? The US has only about one quarter of one percent (let me repeat that, we have approximately .25%) of ALL the arable land in the world yet produces approximately one quarter OF ALL THE FOOD CONSUMED IN THE WORLD. Well technically we actually have less than 1/4 of one percent.

They certainly wouldn't buy their sugar from the US because we need what we produce. Then again, that's only because of the astronomical tariffs in place to protect the American sugar industry to such an extent that Americans pay far far more for sugar than probably any other developed nation. When the rest of the world was paying 6 cents a pound for sugar we paid 21 cents per pound.

The Cayman Islands don't have to buy their sugar from Cuba. Probably most South American countries produce a great percentage of the sugar grown around the world.

Todd
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM
First Mate

It could be, but I doubt it. You need the cane and you need it quick (from what I understand, it needs to be still green and wet). It's made from cane, not sugar. They are the closest neighbour. It's likely beneficial to both countries. I just thought it was funny how no one ever asked the question of where the cane is from.... since they are a little island in the middle of nowhere.

Canada produces sugar, but generally from beets, not cane. But we certainly don't have a restriction on where it comes from.

The cost of sugar in the US and the subsidies given to corn farmers is why so much in the US is sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup. We are starting to see more of it here in Canada.

I generally need to try to avoid it because it can give me heartburn. It is also known to affect people's appetites by switching off the signal to people that they are full.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Admiral

I was just in St. Kitts and St. Lucia and they grow a lot of sugar cane there, maybe that's where it comes from.

donna
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:36 PM
First Mate

I would imagine that the St. Kitt's Rum Company and St. Lucia Distillers would be using that for their rum. Besides, they are at least 1000 km away (if not more) from each other, no?
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Ephraim,
I did a little web search and found an article that said this:

"Tortuga Rums are special blends of Jamaican and Barbados rums "

Could that be the answer to your question? Just a thought, and I know web information isn't always reliable.

Phyll