Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default Fraud Alert

Today I received this letter in my email. I called Bank Of America to confirm that they sent it. They had not. It is a scam to gather your info. If you get one forward it to abuse@bankofmerica.com

Laura

Dear Bank of America card holder,

During our regular update and verification of the clients data, we detected a serious error on your card.

For your security, your card has been deactivated.

In order to reactivate your card you need to verify your Online Banking account.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/verify.jsp

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your card.

Sincerely, Bank of America
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM
First Mate

That's called phishing. It's quite common. I'm surprised it's your first.
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Admiral

I received about the same thing from my local bank last month,,,needless to say it wasn't real.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have gotten emails from other banks but never opened them. This was from my bank so I took notice. I always call my bank to verify everything.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 28th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
I have gotten emails from other banks but never opened them. This was from my bank so I took notice. I always call my bank to verify everything.

Laura
GOOD THINKING Nut2. I'm proud of you. Don't EVER reply with account numbers, and the like online. We all work way too hard for what little money we've got, and certainly don't need to "give it away".

Ken
"SKY"
Old March 28th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Right on Ken!

And for everyone out there, most scams are so obvious it's ludicrous but there are some that are pretty slick. Just keep the following in mind:

1. If a credit card company or a bank wants wishes to advise you of problems arising with your card(s) they will will have right in front of them o0n their screen your account number(s).

Never EVER provide your account number for any credit card, nor your telephone number, nor your Social Security number to ANYONE whom you don't personally know who calls you. If they do and they sound legit but you're not sure, look on your caller ID and see what number is there. Then ask them from what number they are calling. Tell them you'll call them back. Then when you hang up, call the number you have for whatever organization the caller was purporting to represent (credit card company, bank, etc.) and ask them if that is indeed, the call back number you were provided is one of that company's telephone numbers. If the number is legit, then just ask them to connect you with that department.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I am confident in telling you that probably every unsolicited telephone call you receive from any alleged financial institution or business wanting either your account or Social Security number is a scam. And that is so easy to remember also.

Todd

Todd
Old March 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2

Laura
If they send out enough emails from various banks, eventually they are going to accidentally be from "your bank"

You don't have to call and verify anything regarding emails you get from banks. NONE will email you about actual problems or transactions... unless it was in response to a question from you.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Admiral

Thamk you all for the advice.

I can't afford to be scammed, I need the money to pay for my cruises.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!