Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default A Dumb Question

I know here in Florida only one license plate is required. I have seen many people with a decorative plate for the front. I want to use my expired NH license plate on the front. It is personalized and says the same thing as my Florida plate. Is this legal??

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Laura,

I'm fond of saying that the only stupid question is the one never asked.

As for your conundrum, I would say it probably goes state by state. I have seen that also but I'd have to guess it isn't legal.

Just call Motor Vehicle and they'd quickly tell you.

In New York two plates are required when I was in law enforcement up there so it was a moot point.

TDH
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Admiral

laura; I believe you are not allowed to use an official tag from another state on the front and your fla one on the back; I recall someone getting a warning for this many years ago; the officer said that if something was to happen because the front tag looks legit it may cause issues.... technically, you are supposed to destroy the tag and call teh tag office so it is no longer in your name... but you can get one of the fake NH tags...
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Laura,

In Alabama, circa 1990, it was definitely illegal. My wife wanted to leave her Minnesota plate on her car so she did. Within one week she had a $25 ticket. The only good part of it was that I did get to say: "I told you so."

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Admiral

lol Mike!!

I was in Pep Boys this afternoon. One of the guys in there said that he has had a California plate on his car for years. He has never been stopped for it. I have sent an email to the State Police so I will wait on what they say.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We were on the road today and saw the cutest licence plates. It was an RV pulling a car.

On the RV the personal plate was "Let's Go" on the car the plate said "Me To"

Hope you get your answer soon Laura
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Admiral

Thats. cute Luanne. I remember a sailboat in RI called "Breaking Wind" and the little mooring boat he used was called "Li'l Fart"
I should have an answer soon.

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old April 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Hi Nut2.

Having worked in law enforcement a number of years, including here in Florida, I'm 99% sure that it would be a violation to display the out of state tag on your vehicle, even though a front tag isn't required here in Florida, and it's expired. I doubt that you'd have any problem with it however, especially since it's a vanity tag, UNLESS you were stopped for something else, and the LEO involved just wanted to "push" the violations on your vehicle stop. I'll be interested to hear what the Highway Patrol has to say.

Ken
"SKY"

Perhaps you could find one of those license plate frames that covers up the fact that it's actually a state license plate. (Actually illegal for your rear plate) That way you'd see the part that you want shown, but not the fact that it's a New Hampshire plate. (just a thought)
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

It may be a state by state statue. When I moved from NY to TN 5yrs ago, I kept one of my NY plates in the back window of my truck. I was told I had to remove it...
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Admiral

The official answer from FHP.

Dear Ms. Berry,

In Florida, you are permitted to display only the tag to which the vehicle is registered. We would suggest applying for a personalized plate in Florida.

Thank you for writing.

Office of Public Affairs

Florida Highway Patrol

Neil Kirkman Building

Tallahassee, FL 32399

Phone: (850) 617-2301

www.flhsmv.gov/fhp/
---Mark Twain

Old April 14th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Laura,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
lol Mike!!

I was in Pep Boys this afternoon. One of the guys in there said that he has had a California plate on his car for years. He has never been stopped for it. I have sent an email to the State Police so I will wait on what they say.
One thing to consider is that the laws may vary from state to state on this. Thus, it might get you into trouble if you drive to or through another state even if it's legal in Florida.

But surely there must be some designer plate that you like?

Or you could always have a sheet metal shop make a plate with your number and the "Live Free or Die!" slogan that clearly does not look official....

Norm.