Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Default Earthquake in Italy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090408/...aly_earthquake This is very sad, so far 260 have died in this earthquake. I have been through this. We had a 7.1 quake on October 17, 1989 Loma Prieta quake Sixty-two people died, 3,757 were injured. The Aftershocks are the terrible, because the buildings are already damaged and you are on edge. They have had 430 aftershocks. I hope they are getting the aid and support they need to deal with this earthquake.

In California a lot of the buildings are designed to withstand earthquakes. Most of the deaths here were caused by the collapse of the Cypress Structure on Highway 580. The Cypress was a double deck part of the highway and the top fell onto the bottom killing and trapping the people there. In this case baseball saved lives. The Oakland As were in the World Series with the SF Giants and the game was about to started when the quake happened. So a lot less people were on the freeway.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Admiral

I have been following this on the news - it is all so very sad - so many lives, so many old beautiful building destroyed, so much grieving -
my thoughts and prayers are with them all.