Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Is PRICE the main factor in booking a cruise right now?

Are you refraining from booking cruises right now unless the price is a SMOKING BARGAIN? If so, what price are we talking about?

Are you looking at price first and then checking to see what ship it is and where it is going?

Are you one of those people who's sole goal is to book the cheapest cruise possible? I have met such people - they are booked on three transatkantic cruises this year because they got them all for $40/day.

Are you thinking this way - or do you think people who do this are just crazy? Or maybe it just isn't your thing.
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
First Mate

No, the itinery is most important. Price is important but not enough to make me go on some of the bottom rack cruises. I always want a balcony anyway and generally, those are never cheap. I'm thankful to be working so I like to have a great cruise. I still spend money but within reason. I'm really into the value of it all.
Have a great day!
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Itinerary first but price comes a close second as we travel often with loved ones who are on tight budgets. The two have to be good or we dont book.
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

How many cruises have you been on? Is there a preferred order or itinerary?

In other words - are you looking at itineraries you have NOT been on before - or do you repeat itineraries because you like the ship and destinations?
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Default Is Price the Main Factor in Booking a Cruise Right Now?

As I said in another thread, I think for most people, price is first. For me, itinerary is first, then the ship. Then I pray for a good deal!

Judy
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

I nedd the cruise to be affordable in order for me to book it. Itinerary isnt that important because they all go to the same places anyway.

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Price is a close second to itinerary. There are itineraries we haven't done and when we see an itinerary we haven't done and the price is great then we try to book it.

I have to disagree with Pocono Pug. All cruises don't go to the same place. You can go just about anywhere in the world on a cruise. In the last four years we have gone to the Far East, South America, Europe (Med and Baltics), Mexico and the Carribean. We want to go to Australia/New Zealand but airfare has been the prohibitive factor.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Paul,

Our cruise this year is again a gift from my wife's niece. We all love both the ship and the same itinerary although she's been talking about us all going on a New England cruise some time soon.

Were it to be me booking it would probably be much the same except we certainly couldn't afford to go as often as we have! Were that to be the case, we'd probably cruise once every three years and still do a comparable cruise (cabin size and location, etc.). We love our category stateroom and location, we love the ship and we love the nine night cruise. We all agree that we couldn't do a seven night after doing a nine night. The New England itinerary on the same ship (Explorer of the Seas) is also a nine nighter!

Todd
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
How many cruises have you been on? Is there a preferred order or itinerary?

In other words - are you looking at itineraries you have NOT been on before - or do you repeat itineraries because you like the ship and destinations?
For example, having been to Antigua 25+ times in 22 years, I avoid it like the plague, last cruise on GEM we stopped there, but that for me was so much of been there done that. I look for itinerary where I am either meeting friends who have a home there ( Sint Maarten or Curacao) OR in particular look for some where I have not been before. I had sailed to Grenada on a sailing boat many years ago, but never really "saw some sights", so while our last cruise stopped in Antigua, I still booked it because of Barbados, Grenada and Dominica both which turned out to be great stops and days.
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Price is a close second to itinerary. There are itineraries we haven't done and when we see an itinerary we haven't done and the price is great then we try to book it.

I have to disagree with Pocono Pug. All cruises don't go to the same place. You can go just about anywhere in the world on a cruise. In the last four years we have gone to the Far East, South America, Europe (Med and Baltics), Mexico and the Carribean. We want to go to Australia/New Zealand but airfare has been the prohibitive factor.

Take care,
Mike
What I meant was that each cruise line basically will go to the same ports of call as the next especially in the Caribbean. Dont get me wrong I love the itineraries out there but you can do them on any of the lines. Therefore price would be a factor.

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:40 PM
First Mate

Honestly for us, price is usually the number one consideration. But at the moment, we are just too busy getting our new B&B in order and my partner has a great contract for work at the moment, so we aren't looking to cruise until next year. We don't usually plan further out than six months or so.

If we do find a great deal for next January on... we will definitely look at it. Itinerary and price are the two biggest considerations.
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Admiral

For me, itinerary and ship are the most important. Price is way down the list. We choose where we want to go, what cruiseline (almost always RCI) and find the itinerary we are looking for and what type of cabin we want(almost always at least a balcony). We set a budget for what we want to spend, and book the cruise. We have moved our cruise back a few weeks for a lower price before, but rarely. To us, our vacation is much more about the experience we have than how much we spent. As long as I feel we are getting value for the money we do spend, I don't have to have a rock bottom price.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13