Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Do you take the same cruise over and over?

Some people have a favorite ship and itinerary and they take it over and over. While some people want to take a different cruise each time they go.

I am in the second camp - seeing new places is my favorite thing.

What is your "history" of cruise ships and itineraries and what guided it? Did you take a few cruises until you found a favorite and that is what you always do now? Have you become devoted to any one cruise line? Do you have a certain island you love to visit - and WHY?

Or are you on a path to see the world, and you never repeat ships or destinations?
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Admiral

We usually try to pick a cruise with a slightly different itinerary. We are considering a cruise out of Baltimore, in December, that has ports that we have already been to, but the price of this cruise is "such a deal". Besides Rob and I enjoy visiting Charleston and Key West.
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Admiral

I have cruise 14 times and all in the Carribean. i like hot days and the beach. Europe and Asia does not interest me . I feel more
comfortable with places that I know.
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Earl, that is fine. You are from Montreal which is cold.

I am from Phoenix so warm weather is not that much of a draw for me. In fact, unlike a lot of people and I suppose cruisers in particular, weather is rarely a reason for me to take a vacation. (unless it is to the coast in Summer to get out of the Phoenix summer). But I don't crave tropical weather like a lot of cruisers.

I do kno that some people take the exact same ship and itinerary all the time. And that is fine. if you fond something you like then good for you!
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Haven't been on the same ship twice but I've been in the same ports - and in 2010 I'll be going to two of the same ports again with only one port different but it's in a country I've already visited - so not really a lot of difference. Will do the European cruises when I retire which hopefully will be in two years (or when the economy straightens out) - I'm from Ks. so I'm really open to all types of weather - as we can have all four seasons in one day here - so I look forward to a lot more cruises!
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Do you take the same cruise over and over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Some people have a favorite ship and itinerary and they take it over and over. While some people want to take a different cruise each time they go.

I am in the second camp - seeing new places is my favorite thing.

What is your "history" of cruise ships and itineraries and what guided it? Did you take a few cruises until you found a favorite and that is what you always do now? Have you become devoted to any one cruise line? Do you have a certain island you love to visit - and WHY?

Or are you on a path to see the world, and you never repeat ships or destinations?
Paul,

For my wife and I we try to do a different itinerary as much as possible. My wife has no desire to go back to the Caribbean if it is just the two of us. If it was a group cruise or a cruise with the family then she would consider it.

I have no cruise line that I am devoted to but I do like cruise lines such as NCL that have open seating and Freestyle Cruising is perfect for us.

If I could go back to one place it would be Italy. I love Rome and Venice and there is never enough time on a cruise to truly enjoy these places.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Admiral

As I've just written on another thread, we've been on only two cruises, the third coming up in June, and all as a gift from the most wonderful Niece one could ever have. All three have been same ship, same itinerary (Eastern Caribbean) and all nine nighters.

I would sometime like to cruise to New England and I'd give my right arm to do a transatlantic (and everyone who has read my previous articles on this site knows why, and that of course is the ambience).

Todd
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Admiral

No, I would not do the same Itin a second time, one or even two stops at the same place OK, but not more than that.
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Earl, that is fine. You are from Montreal which is cold.

I am from Phoenix so warm weather is not that much of a draw for me. In fact, unlike a lot of people and I suppose cruisers in particular, weather is rarely a reason for me to take a vacation. (unless it is to the coast in Summer to get out of the Phoenix summer). But I don't crave tropical weather like a lot of cruisers.

I do kno that some people take the exact same ship and itinerary all the time. And that is fine. if you fond something you like then good for you!
Hey, I'm from Montreal and I want to cruise different cruises and different itineraries. I love the Southern Caribbean. We have never taken the exact same itinerary... in fact, it's often the reason we reject a cruise... not enough new places.
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Our preference is the Caribbean. Have been on some of the same ships many times but not always with the same itinerary. I do like to try new ports occasionally but do not mind going back to favorites one of which is Cozumel. It is tourist friendly and has an endless supply of new things to do.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

At first we cruised out of the same port, and the same ships, until we ventured out this last time.

We liked taking the same ships, because it was like having a summer home. It is pretty bad, when you have done all the excursions offered.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Default Do You Take The Same Cruise Over and Over?

We like a different ship and a different itinerary for each cruise, but we have repeated a few ports.

Judy
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For me, I have had to cancel a European cruise, for heath considerations.
Not being able to walk for long periods of time, made doing the bus to get to the port excursions, something I decided I didn't want to deal with. So, cruising the Caribbean for me, makes more sense, even if I do it over and over again. I love the southern, and, would love to do that next, but really, any Caribbean cruise in my future, would make me smile.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Admiral

We always go to the Caribbean,,,DH will not fly across the big pond so I guess a European cruise is not in my future.

But I love the Caribbean so I am satisfied going there, Have been to a few of the ports several times. But I do love Cozumel so that's not a problem for me.

Most of our cruises have been on NCL as we love the freestyle thing.
But we have never done the same ship twice,,,yet.
Never say never,,,

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Admiral

If I like the ship and the intinerary I don't mind repeating it.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Admiral

I am a repeater; I sailed the Carnival Imagination 3x; what the heck they were great deals and in the past I couldn't get more than a 5 day cruise but now that I have tried a full 7 day, I am branching out. But I would sail the same ships/itenieary again just do something different for excursions. I think the only islands that I am burnt out on is Grand Cayman and Nassau, Bahamas; just not enough to do.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Admiral

We are on a quest to see the world, we have Europe up next, with plans for Hawaii, South America and the Panama Canal in years to come. I'm very partial to RCI, but willing to try other lines in the future to go places I haven't been. At the same time, I also love taking the Majesty of the Seas to the Bahamas as often as we can, we LOVE the RCI island Coco Cay.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Passenger

have same ship serveral times. 3 times on glory almost all in caribbean and all on ccl till now but will be on rccl next thanks to bad service and no one cared when made formal complaint. Almost ready to leave.
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Because of my job as a restaurant manager in a resort town in northern Michigan, I can only vacation on the "off seasons" up here - not during ski season and definitely not in summer.

That said, I usually cruise in November and March and since the winters up here are long and brutal, it's usually the Caribbean. Yes, I've seen nearly every island and many of them several times, but I've never met an island I didn't like!

Have done a couple of November TransAtlantic cruises and they were wonderful - ended up in Ft. Lauderdale so didn't sail the north Atlantic.

Partial to Princess and HAL, but have sailed Celebrity, NCL, RCCL, Carnival, Cunard and Costa.

Like someone said, "when I retire", I'll be able to do Med. and Baltic cruises in summer.
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Admiral

There's many different itins. we would like to take but most of our cruises have been to the Caribbean--East, West, South--Panama--we've covered it all many times.
We've been on more Carnival cruises than any others but yet have sailed several times on Hal, RCCL, Princess and Celebrity.
We've sailed the Destiny, Inspiration, Fascination, and Pride 2 times each, and have sailed the Glory 5 times. Have sailed some other Carnival ships once each.
We normally do a seven day cruise, with an occasional 10 dayer thrown in.
Work constraints limit us to the amount of time we can be away right now. Hopefully in the next couple of years we will be able to give up the Caribbean for some longer cruises to Europe, Med. etc. We want to cruise the Med. sometime and then make " the crossing " on a ship. One of our dreams is to sail around South America and if it had not been for work schedules, we would surely have taken Carnival's recent trip around S.A.
As they say--so many ships and so little time !!
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:06 AM
First Mate

I'll go to Bermuda anytime at all since it's my absolute fav. So, we went on the Majesty twice from Boston and had wonderful cruises both times!
Older ship, fantastic staff and great island. Hard to beat. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
I'm taking a casual look at the Spirit for this fall. We'll see. I have too many things planned so I need to take a step back. I'm a working girl, self-employed, but still working. So, that means I need to show up on a regular basis.
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:00 AM
First Mate

My husband and I like to cruise to new places all the time. I love new places but being from Chicago I would not mind the Caribbean and getting out of the cold. So far we have been using RCCL but we will need to venture out soon so we can see some different places. We have certain times of the year that we can cruise generally we like to cruise in the fall or early spring.
Old April 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Paul, interesting question, accept for the Fantasy B2B we have never been on the same ship twice to date. We have been on the same class of ship, my favorite is Princess Sun class or RCCL Radiance or smaller. We have on been on two caribbean cruises not counting the Blog cruise. We have done Mexico, Alaska, Panama canal, Med, and Egypt. Baltic next Month. Like Paul I enjoy different and new areas, What we learned on the Hawaii cruise is that we like ports and not to many sea days. We do enjoy the warm sunny Caribbean so we will repeat between other trips. Mike
Old April 9th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Yes I'll repeat on the same ship if I love the ship.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Captain

Default Same Itinerary - Same Ship

We've done two transatlatic cruises, two to Hawaii, and all the rest have been in the Caribbean (we have a total of 34 cruises). Why all the Caribbean cruises? They're cheap, comparitively speaking. We don't really care about the ports - we like cruising.

The one cruise we do over and over is the Jewel repositioning cruise in October from Boston to Miami. We've done it four times, we're doing it again in October '09, and just waiting 'till the '10 bookings open up. We're already booked on the Canada/New England cruise on Jewel on 10-23-10, and will do b2b on Jewel as soon as the repo opens.

Every time we look at Alaska, we get sticker shock, but it's still on our bucket list....
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:40 PM
First Mate

You could say I have one foot in each camp. I doubt I will live long enough to visit every port in the Caribbean, so I am not likely to cruise anywhere else. I find it more interesting to meet people from other nations and cultures than to actually set foot in multiple places. A lot of that can be experienced aboard.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Admiral

No rut for us. We have been to the Caribbean a few times and except for the weather in the winter time, it gets old fast. Europe, South America, the Far East, the South Pacific and NZ-Australia all have far, far more to offer.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Admiral

David and I have been on 34 + or - cruises in our 25 years together. Although we generally prefer seeing new places, we have repeated several cruises.

The cruise we have most often booked is the typical 7 night Mexican Riviera visiting Mazatlan, Cabo, and Puerto Vallarta. We love this cruise because it is an easy cruise with few expectations. A two hour flight and a fifteen minute (or so) cab ride from Long Beach airport, makes commuting to this cruise a snap. Plus our two best friends, Mare` and Conrad live in P.V. which makes for a very easy all day visit.

Flying into San Diego for cruises leaving from S.D. is even easier due to the fact that the airport is about three minutes from the airport. You could easily walk the distance if you didn't have too much luggage.
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Admiral

We too are from Montreal, so the warm Caribbean interests us the most.
No interest at all in seeing Alaska, as we live with ice and snow 1/2 the year already!
We have done many repeat itineraries in the Caribbean, but love most of the ports. If they get boring, we can always stay on the ship and enjoy the quiet of a port day.
We've also only one time done the same ship twice, the Caribbean Princess, and that was because of a wonderful entertainer named Bert Stratton.
We've also only once deviated from the Caribbean, and that was the Mexican itinerary that Chuck mentioned. We did not enjoy it as much as the Caribbean, so we'll probably stick with what we love.

donna