Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Default Take cover Todd

Todd,
Just hearing about the tornados in TN. Just want to make sure you all stay safe as they head your way.

Phyll
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Admiral

Thank you so much for your concern, Phyll. Actually I was really concerned this time although tornadoes are relatively rare around where we live because of the mountains. I had battened down for at least horrendous thunderstoms but by the time they arrived the had really fizzled down to a couple of flashes of lightning and some rain albeit nothing heavy.

It's really so strange. During the recent year long drought, heavy rain would roll into upper East Tennessee but by the time it arrived in Greene County it would kind of just split and go beneath and above us. This was one time I was thankful that occurred.

Our hearts do go out to all of those who lost both their lives as well as to those who lost their homes.

Again Phyll, that was so sweet of you to think about us.

Todd
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Glad to hear you are ok Todd..My sister is in Murfreesboro, and I will call her this morning,and, ,hope the assisted living complex she is in made it through.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 11th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Trip,

You must be on pins and needles. Please share your information with us when you find out about your sister.

Todd
Old April 11th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Admiral

I called her from work today, and, could not talk long. due to a customer, but they were all ok , but for one broken window in the complex....Major damage was just a few streets over. Not coming from an area that gets many tornadoes,[a few do come through the western part of the state,] I would almost take a hurricane over one of these storms...you guys can rest east for now.....

Old April 11th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Admiral

That's wonderful news.

But I see where we'll have to keep our eyes open and ears tuned again on Monday when the weather service expects Act II.

Todd
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah I too live in Tn, but actually right in Murfreesboro. Being Good Friday and all, it was more of a chance for increased fatalities. School was out, and many busineses closed. I lived here almost 5 years, and they never had a tornado here untill 5 yrs prior to that. This past Friday was the 3rd one in 3 weeks. An EF0, EF1, and fridays Ef3 possible upgraded to an EF4. This is something you see on TV that happens in the midwest like Kansas or Oklahoma. Its shocking when you see it in your own backyard first hand. Thoughts and prayers to the family that lost a mom and 9wk old baby, and those directly affected. The lost of life is more devastaing than the loss of belongings. Mother nature can be cruel at times, and she leaves her stamp across the country.
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Admiral

mrrobb,

How so right you are! And all our hearts go out to the mother and child as well as all those who suffered both injury and property damage.

As you so aptly pointed out, tornadoes are traditionally not that common in Middle Tennessee until relatively recently. They really appeared, at least to me, following that one that came through Nashville a few years back.

Todd
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just an update: Tornado reached EF-4 strength; damage at $38.3M and rising.....
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Admiral

I spoke to my sister again yesterday, and, the complex, which is on Memeorial Blvd, was closer to the damage than first though....frightening stats mrrobb.....

Old April 14th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes ma'am. I believe your sister's location is literaly within a block and a half from one of the major hit areas. Thank goodness all is well with her. You here all around the country of natural disasters, but hits you harder when its in your own backyard, and you see it first hand.