Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Admiral

Default Saturday

The move continues today, it took so long to load the truck, and my mother was so tired, they decided to store the truck over night and then they are coming in an hour to off load. While my mother may have gotten rid of alot, she didnt get rid of nearly enough, theres so much junk and things she really should have let go of. Example to uglies dress humanly possible, but she kept it because a special friend gave it to her who passed away. I tossed it, and said to her this has to change, because you simply wont have the room for this stuff in the new house.

The weather is bright and sunny, and not to hot or cold, although with all the work I am always hot.

I am looking very forward to having time to get my own house in order! The wash piled up, its never been this bad. That means we have to many clothes!

Have a reat day every one.
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Delft, sounds like you are doing great. Even though I know at times you are overwhelmed.

Todd, Glad to hear you dodged the tornado bullet. I hate those things!

RD, been praying you would have a quiet, peaceful slumber last night.

Well my new friends from the heat & a/c place have left me. I couldn't let them go without at least one more visit late in the afternoon, when I realized the system was blowing cold air, and shouldn't have been. It took them about 30 minutes but they figured out the culprit and now it is running pretty well. Its hard to get used to the sound of it running. Because of the nature of how it works, it runs a lot. It is about 36 degrees outside right now out and it is about 73 degrees in the house. I have gotten so used to having the corn stove burning nearby and that intense heat, so this feels a little cool to me. But it will just take a little adjustment. We made a late night run over to Lowes last night. We picked up new floor registers since the old ones have really taken a beating over the years. I also found a couple of crawlspace vent covers to replace ones that keep falling out of their holes and a new louvered door for the laundry room. I always thought a louvered door would be better since it is the warmest room in the house when the furnace is running, louvered doors might let some heat out. This way I can also change the direction it opens from so I don't have maneuver around it with a basket full of clothes.
I picked up those anti vibration pads to put under the feet of my washer. The appliance repair guy said that reducing the vibration when my machines spins out at 1400 RPM will help keep the rubber boot seal around the door from failing so quickly and needing a repeat service call. So for $30 I'll try it. I just hope they work.
I am hoping the weather will warm up, should get up in the 50's, I could go for the 60's or 70's. But that will happen soon enough.

D/S just woke up, he came out and gave me a smootch, and asked hey can I wake up Dad? Well sure son I don't mind at all

Got to have lunch with one of my very good friends yesterday. We've shared a lot through the years. We can go long times between visits but just pick up where we left off. She is so funny and down to earth, she just lets you be yourself and let it all hang out. It is really great to spend time with her. As I shared my inlaws will be visiting in 2 weeks. I always get a little freaked out by this because my MIL while we lover her, and wouldn't trade her or anything, she is a bit of a clean freak. I always try to make sure everything is how she likes it and so I have now been transformed into a cleaning maniac. Well my good friend, is currently unemployed so she is going to come over and help me clean next week and get things organized. I know having her here with me will make an otherwise boring and monotonous task fun and enjoyable. So I am really looking forward to it. OMG did I really say that? !

Well I think thats about it for today. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Prayers being sent up for all of you who are struggling.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Good morning fellow Cruisemates and all the ships at sea!

Delft, it really sounds as if you can finally see the light at the end of the moving van. Don't try to do too much at once!

RDonna, I hope you had a much better night last night!

And you B/W, must be thrilled that all the HVAC work is completed at your house. I'm sure they told you but if they didn't, even when heated air is being pumped in, it probably won't feel warm like that from a furnace because it is not actually being heated even thought the temperature is high enough to warm your home. When I managed the apartment complex, I used to get calls all the time from residents who were new to heat pumps, that the unit was blowing cold air. Of course when I checked, it wasn't. I finally got wise and made up a generic hand out addressing that issue for all incoming residents that believe they use to this day.

Well, those storms are finally over. The problem is that there's a new batch coming across the country and will threaten the same areas once again. Fran is contemplating putting off our little jaunt to Pigeon Forge next Monday because that is when I guess all this weather is expected to once again slam into East Tennessee.

Actually the only things we got out of the batch just passed was some rain, lightning and thunder. It pretty much began to abate by the time it made it to us.

I feel such a sense of accomplishment this morning as regards our Humane Society as a result of just three incidents that recently occurred. By releating what follows, I ask you to please not think I'm "patting my own back" although it might sound like it, but am writing what follows as a call to those who might be so inclined but as yet are not, that they too can receive a similar sense of accomplishment by becoming more actively involved in their community in whatever capacity.

Last night the Editor of the paper called me and informed me yet again that mine was by far, the most popular oranizational column in the paper's history (I now have what amounts to a full half page devoted to us). This really generates a lot of contributions. One of our Humane Society's more significant benefactors, a retired full colonel in the US Air Force who while from here, lives out in San Antonio, Texas, also reminded me for about the tenth time that had it not been for my weekly column in the paper and my personal involvement, he'd never have even thought of donating as much as he has. He's paid the lion's portion of the cost of our spay neuter building and surgical suite as just a part of his continuing donations. Also, our Manager informed me yesterday that an elderly man had his son drive him up to our Animal Adoption Center just as we were closing. Holding one of my recent newspaper columns, the gentleman pointed to the picture of the subject of that week's offering and said that while he couldn't take another animal, he was paying the adoption fee for that particular dog. The precious canine is wonderful in all aspects but has yet to get a home after a full year and we can't figure out why. This man's generosity will definitely pave the way for the animal's adoption. Our Adoption Center Manager says that similar contributions for the same reason happen all the time.

Truth be told, I'm completely "wore out" from not only being a Board member but especially the President and it's far past the time the baton be turned over to someone else. My tenure has included a few years back, successfully negotiating one of the most difficult periods in our organization's history. I figure I've paid my dues and will step down this June, the week before we leave for our cruise. We have the most fantastic and involved group of board members in the last ten years and regardless of who replaces me, they will be up to the task. I shall, however, continue the column because, as I've been told, it's my column.

So if you've a chance and if you aren't already, please become personally involved in your community in whatever way you can. Believe me, I am a perfect example that you don't have to be a Mr. & Mrs. "Got rocks" nor do you have to have a college degree to make a contribution, in whatever manner, to your community.

So endeth today's sermon.

Prayers of course continue for those needing them and yet again I ask for Blessings to be showered upon you all.

Todd
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from Montreal, where it is bright and sunny, but still only 2C with a forecast high of only 7C or 44F. At least it's not raining, which I'm sure is much appreciated by Delft as she continues with the big move today!

Despite all your "good wishes" I did NOT have a restful slumber last night, quite the contrary. I made 3 attempts at going to bed, getting up 3 times to browse the internet, read a whole magazine, and take a painkiller in hopes of getting some sleep. I was having some back issues, which I'm convinced are due to 3 days of constipation from the painkillers, so I have to stop taking those puppies!
Finally, a "Magic Sac" heated in the microwave, gave me enough relief to finally fall asleep around 5:30 am.
Unfortunately, I was awakened just after 8am by the community nurse who came to give me my injection, and take another blood test. I feel like a pin cushion!

Anyway, today looks like a good day to get outdoors. Won't be able to do all the yard work that needs doing, that can wait, but I may just sit out back and enjoy some sunshine!

Todd, funny you should mention the Humane Society this morning.
One of the things I was perusing on the internet last night were animal rescue organizations (and there are many of them in Montreal) in search of a new kitty. After losing our beloved cat last Nov. we are finally ready to adopt a new one. We miss having a kitty around the house.

Well, better get on with my day, have a good one Mates!

donna
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Captain

Good Morning All from sunny SE Alabama

Wow have I've been away for an eternity? It seems like it. We have been busy with family situations. One bright side is our youngest son will graduate from Jacksonville State in a couple of weeks with a Bachelors in Science with a minor in History. He is specializing in Cellar and Molecular Biology. The wife and I are so excited. Our oldest has rejoined the Troop where he and his brother earned their Eagle Scout as a leader as he is finally out of the USAF. NO more trips to the Sand Box. YEA.

Well you all have a Great Alabama Day.

Irish 8)

May those that love us, love us.
And those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles
So we will know them by their limping.
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone from the land of 10,000 almost unfrozen lakes.

It is a bluebird day here in Minnesota. The sun is shining and we are expecting a high at or above 60F. I like it.

Today will be a day of Easter basket preparation and pre-Easter food prep. I am seriously thinking of doing the Prime Rib on the grill this year. All forecasts say it will be in the mid-sixties tomorrow so it looks like the weather will cooperate.

Mongo II, my laptop, is beginning to have some problems. The power connection on the motherboard is acting up. My son took a look at it yesterday on his test bench and could see no physical problems (soder cracks or loose connections) with it so I thought it may be time for Mongo's retirement. A new motherboard will be $500 but I priced a new laptop and to get one with equivalent features and power will run almost $3,000 I may rethink my previous plan and go the motherboard route.

Todd: You're doing a great thing and you should be proud of it. If your paper has an online edition I would love to read your column.

My daughter works with her county's Humane Society and the Sheriff's department. She shelters abandoned cats for the county and is also the doctor for the K9 officers. One of her hardest duties is to go along on animal cruelty calls. I have assisted her on a few of these calls and it breaks your heart to see how people can mistreat animals.

Donna: I am sorry you aren't sleeping. Take a Dolcolax and hopefully everything will come out all right. I'll try a different tact since all the good wishes aren't working. "I hope you don't get a wink of sleep for the next three days." OK: Will see if the reverse psychology does any good.

To everyone: Have a great Easter and wonderful Sunday!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Default Saturday

Good morning from Southern California. The sun doesn't want to get out of bed.

RD, I know all too well about after effects from drugs. I hope the unpleasantness goes away soon for you.

Not a big day planned, a bit of housework and a small amount of ironing to get my duds ready for Easter. I am so pleased at being able to go somewhere, and I know Keith wants to spend time with his son and in-laws.

Have a nice day.

Judy
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hello from a dreary, rainy, damp New York.

Not much planned for today - will make a vegetable casserole to take with me tomorrow for Easter dinner. Also, chilling a bottle of Pinot Grigio to go along with the dinner. My father-in-law (who is 97) will be joining us. He is an unbelieveable man - lives alone in a 6 family apartment building in Queens that he owns and manages. He is sharp as a tack and has a great appetite. Loves holiday meals and lives for dessert - cake is nothing without a little ice cream to top it off. So much for the theory that old people lose their appetites. Last year at age 96 he had his 4th total hip replacement. Yes, I said 4 - as he has out lived the 20 year life of his other hip replacements. The cardiologist told him, prior to his surgery, that he had to have a stress test. He told the doctor, "I'm here for my hip not my heart" so forget it. The doctor said OK and the surgery went on as planned.

Daughter had a good flight back from Disney. Actually left on time and arrived a few minutes early. Also, American is granting them each
3000 bonus miles for the fiasco that took place on their way down to Florida. Traffic was light and they arrived home without a hassle.

Todd - I can't wait to hear what is on your Easter Sunday menu. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be out of this world.

RD - hope you feel better soon. I have always found that anasthesia throws your body into turmoil. Once it is out of your system, you should feel better.

Beenie Weenie - I am truly amazed at your talents around the house. I can't believe how much you can do to keep things in good order.

Enjoy this Holiday weekend.

Leyla from Long Island
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Mike,

The paper is online but things such as my columns are not posted in the on line edition. However, I'll tell you where you can view them with this caveat. These are "raw" unedited versions as sent to the paper and are not "polished" by the best editor in the world. They're seldom changed except for clarity and that doesn't happen all that often. When they are, I even have a hard time finding the edits!

In any event, they're on the web (I just updated them for the first time since early January ) at our Humane Society website at www.gchumanesociety.com. Just scroll down the home page on the left to Talk/News and click on Animal Talk. I hope you enjoy them.

Todd