Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Default Won another cruise...or did I?

In the mail, I got an "approved voucher" for a "free" 2 day cruise for 2 to the Bahamas , from Caribbean Cruise Line.
Not only have I never heard of the cruise line, but also the ship, Bahamas Celebration.
Apparently I will also receive a $1,300.00 travel voucher to purchase a "spectacular extended stay package"

It further claims to be the "Best new Bahamas Getaway Cruise in 2009" as proclaimed by the Chief Editor of Porthole Magazine.

So, what do you think, did I win a cruise, or is it another one of those "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" deals?

donna
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Admiral

We get them all the time down here. Don't bite or you'll get bitten.

Carnival Glory
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Won another cruise...or did I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
In the mail, I got an "approved voucher" for a "free" 2 day cruise for 2 to the Bahamas , from Caribbean Cruise Line.
Not only have I never heard of the cruise line, but also the ship, Bahamas Celebration.
Apparently I will also receive a $1,300.00 travel voucher to purchase a "spectacular extended stay package"

It further claims to be the "Best new Bahamas Getaway Cruise in 2009" as proclaimed by the Chief Editor of Porthole Magazine.

So, what do you think, did I win a cruise, or is it another one of those "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" deals?

donna
RD:

The question is "How much will my free vacation cost?" Most of the time these things are basically selling something.

The Bahamas Celebration is a (only) ship of Celebration Cruise Lines. It is a legitimate cruise line that basically took over the void in 2 and 3 night Bahama cruises when Imperial Cruise Line quit sailing to the Bahamas. It sails out of Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale.

The ship is 35,000 tons with a passenger capacity of 1500. That's pretty packed.

Caribbean Cruise Lines LTD. is a Canadian company that sells vacation packages. I don't know how legitimate they are or not.

If you are really interested in this type of cruise I would call the company and find out how much it will cost you. Personally I wouldn't pay the airfare to do it, even if it is legitimate.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The Imperial Majesty, Discovery, or Sea Escape..I call them sea buses, are usually the ones to ferry you to the Bahamas..We did the Sea Escape for a one day, years ago...oy

Speaking of winning..several months back I got an email from a very well know agency saying, I won the monthly prize...never got a thing

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 17th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am sorry to see Porthole involved in a thing like that. It may not be exactlya scam but it is a ripoff.

I once won free cruise. But they didn't know they were talki g to someone who k we better. I wrote an article about it
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Also, RD, anyone considering even a short cruise on the Bahamas Celebration had best check out some reviews. About a week ago I was following up on a story I had seen about the Bahamas Celebration breaking down and being unable to sail back from the Bahamasstranding passengers for I think a couple of days before they were finally evacuated to Florida on a chartered jet. Comments made about the quality of the hotel many were booked into by the cruise line were all similarly horrific. I did find one comment that said the food was "alright" and I guess it's not that bad of a trip if you drink your way to the Bahamas. But then again, maybe that's their way of assuring a good profit even after all the lawsuits are satisfied.

It was nothing less than a horror story.

Delving deeper, I came across a bunch of reviews. I've never seen anything like them. The term "Cruise from Hell" was only one of the lighter comments. Everything from filthy bathrooms to "staterooms" if you even wanted to rent one at additional charge, being described as disgusting.

Todd
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Admiral

I think I'll pass...thanks guys!

donna