Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Design a ship...

With ships getting bigger and bigger, with bowing alleys, rock climbing walls, and surfing at sea, is there something you would like to see on a ship, that designers have not thought of yet? What do you see as maybe, wasted space at sea?

Somethings come and go, like the Cigar Rooms...How long will the barbers or the botox fad last? How about that sea park..will that last, or be changed to a money making area? That space could be used for ______!

Fill in the blank, serious, & outrageous ideas welcome!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Admiral

I know RCCL has ice skating rinks, but I would like to see a ROLLERskating rink onboard! Now that would enable to indulge in my life's 2 passions: cruising and rollerskating!

donna
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Admiral

Rd, can't you roller skate on the jogging track? I'm sure there is enough room for a bit of "Flare"?

I would love to see Bowling on the high seas? lol

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Lombard,

Your wish is granted. NCL has bowling alleys on some of their vessels.

But don't let anyone tell you it's a new idea. The SS Bremen and Europa, twin German liners of over 51,000 tons and capable of thirty knots back in the thirties had them as well! As they plied the North Atlantic trade, there must have been one or two gutter balls.

RCL's Radiance class ships also have self leveling pool tables!

Todd
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

This isn't new but I predicted years before it caught on that karoake would be popular some day. Now I think the first line to offer free or greatly reduced Internet will benefit more that they make.

Aside from that I think the comedy and jazz clubs on OSis will be hits. The next trend I see in inboard entertainment is tribute bands like Beatlemania. I would like to see more enrichment classes during the day and more meet & greets for people with things in common; musicians, needlepointers, stock investors.

I would like to see a stock market room where you can log in and trade stocks all day long and watch CNBC.

I would like to see political debate cruises. I think ideology brings people together.
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Passenger

Hi all!

Maybe cruise ship with glass bottom area so that you can enjoy the underwater scenery, why not cruise ship equiped with small submarines for under water explorations.

Roller coaters for those who loves thrills and who want to face their fears above water. So more fun parcs activities.
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes, the glass bottom idea has always been a cool idea. I love it.

How about a cruise submarine?

How much would you pay to cruise along the great barrier reef in Australia underwater for 7 days?
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Admiral

The submarine idea would be cool -- one could even sail peacefully "under" a full blown hurricane. But they'd have to overcome some problems, such as:

The guy who was drunk when the vessel first submerged only to wake up to discover he is a complete claustrophobic,

How the engineer would keep the darned thing trimmed with folks going from one end to the other. If that couldn't be accomplished it would be more stomach churning than a surface vessel under conditions described in the first paragraph.

But it would all be worth the trouble just to see what would happen when the captain screamed over the PA system as klaxons all over the submarine started going off, "All hands forward, emergency dive; DIVE! DIVE!

As for the glass bottom boat, that is a cool idea. What a great sales pitch it would be when while everyone were to be gathered around the glass bottom, the Hotel Manager were to remark, "Geesh, it's awfully dark as you look down. Did you know you're looking into a great abyss where the bottom is almost two and a half miles straight down and where this vessel would be headed like a stone if the bottom ever broke? It's only glass you know. Oh and by the way, we just wish to remind everyone that our various bars are always open."

Todd the Twisted
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Put water tight rooms below sea level with porthole windows. My mom was paranoid because she thought her room on the lower deck was under the ocean. I told if that was the case we could trade rooms. I would love an under the ocean view room.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
The submarine idea would be cool -- one could even sail peacefully "under" a full blown hurricane. But they'd have to overcome some problems, such as:

The guy who was drunk when the vessel first submerged only to wake up to discover he is a complete claustrophobic,

How the engineer would keep the darned thing trimmed with folks going from one end to the other. If that couldn't be accomplished it would be more stomach churning than a surface vessel under conditions described in the first paragraph.

But it would all be worth the trouble just to see what would happen when the captain screamed over the PA system as klaxons all over the submarine started going off, "All hands forward, emergency dive; DIVE! DIVE!

As for the glass bottom boat, that is a cool idea. What a great sales pitch it would be when while everyone were to be gathered around the glass bottom, the Hotel Manager were to remark, "Geesh, it's awfully dark as you look down. Did you know you're looking into a great abyss where the bottom is almost two and a half miles straight down and where this vessel would be headed like a stone if the bottom ever broke? It's only glass you know. Oh and by the way, we just wish to remind everyone that our various bars are always open."

Todd the Twisted
Could half the ship be under water; while the other half was above water? Like an ice berg.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Why not, Katlady? They could even build a semi submersible that only dipped halfway below the waves.

I wonder though what would occur however, were the captain to forget to make what would have to be the obligatory announcement that the ship would now be submerging half way and not to be alarmed. Boy, you talkin' about folks going overboard!

Todd the
Old April 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Why not, Katlady? They could even build a semi submersible that only dipped halfway below the waves.

I wonder though what would occur however, were the captain to forget to make what would have to be the obligatory announcement that the ship would now be submerging half way and not to be alarmed. Boy, you talkin' about folks going overboard!

Todd the
I would totally book that ship. Even with all the people going OB. I say you just keep the ship submerged to begin with that way it isn't a shock. You can go up a few decks to tender into Cabo. Picture sitting on your bed watching the fish swim by.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Yeah, that might be cool, especially if the "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" came up for a peek through the port hole.

I'm just pulling your leg but then I quickly realized you wouldn't get it. If your parents were even alive when that movie came out in 1953, they probably never saw it nor did you. It is a cool "monster movie" especially since it's in black and white and opens with scientists going down in a bathyscape to receive a life ending "surprise."

Todd
Old April 21st, 2009, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Yeah, that might be cool, especially if the "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" came up for a peek through the port hole.

I'm just pulling your leg but then I quickly realized you wouldn't get it. If your parents were even alive when that movie came out in 1953, they probably never saw it nor did you. It is a cool "monster movie" especially since it's in black and white and opens with scientists going down in a bathyscape to receive a life ending "surprise."

Todd
What if a Blue whale swam past your window. That would look like the "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms". I'm a movie freak. But I don't know that one. It has nothing to do with age and one of my favorite films is a black and white, slience, film starring Charlie Chaplin called "The Kid." I will have to see if NetFlicks has that one.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Admiral

[/quote]
What if a Blue whale swam past your window. That would look like the "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms". I'm a movie freak. But I don't know that one. It has nothing to do with age and one of my favorite films is a black and white, slience, film starring Charlie Chaplin called "The Kid." I will have to see if NetFlicks has that one.[/quote]

If a Blue Whale were ever to swim past my porthole, I'd be on the top deck at the bar by the pool downing them as fast as they made 'em and they'd never be able coax me any lower for the rest of the cruise!

Todd
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:50 PM
Admiral

What if a Blue whale swam past your window. That would look like the "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms". I'm a movie freak. But I don't know that one. It has nothing to do with age and one of my favorite films is a black and white, slience, film starring Charlie Chaplin called "The Kid." I will have to see if NetFlicks has that one.[/quote]

If a Blue Whale were ever to swim past my porthole, I'd be on the top deck at the bar by the pool downing them as fast as they made 'em and they'd never be able coax me any lower for the rest of the cruise!

Todd [/quote]
A blue whale heart is the size of a Volkswagen Beetle and pumps 10 tons of blood. I don't know why that would freak you out. Which do you think is bigger Oasis of the Sea or a Blue Whale? They have been spotted in Santa Barabra maybe I should see if I can find a migration pattern.
Cool pictures of blue whales here.
http://earthwindow.com/blueair.html

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:29 PM
Admiral

I obviously know nothing about Blue Whales. I guess they'd be cool too. But with my luck it would be a whale with a pupil the size of a picture window looking back at me!

Todd
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Man my blue whale picture was so huge it break the plane of the post box. I removed it but the plane is still broke. The largest Blue Whale grew to 108 feet. Normally they are 90-100 feet. It's the biggest animal alive today. This is a cool website for facts about sea life. http://www.acsonline.org/factpack/bluewhl.htm
http://www.acs-sfbay.org/marmam/Blue.htm
In the San Francisco Bay Area, blue whales are seen feeding near the Farallon Islands in late summer and early fall. Hey that is not far from here. Maybe I should go whale watching in July.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994