Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Shopping at Sea?

While my Massachusetts license plate says SHOP*R, I find I don't go overboard, [hehe] shopping onboard. On the CM, Century cruise, I got sick, and I went to the shop to get some nose spray, and almost fell over when I saw the price...Now, I make sure I pack the entire medicine cabinet!

The ladies boutique, while it has some very unique clothing, most of it is just overpriced.....I do enjoy some of sidewalk sales they have, we have gotten some nice watches, some pashminas to chase the chill. Gold by the inch should be outlawed

One year, Bruce went bonkers at that art auction, I had to ask him , who kidnapped my husband!!

So, do you shop at sea?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Naw, not a lot, Trip. Especially after I found out you had to have money.......

Seriously, I was very surprised to find that some booze was about the same price or even cheaper on the Explorer than in St. Maarten, which really shocked me.

The girls wait until they put all the stuff on sale near the end of the cruise and then believe they're getting a real bargain even though they're still paying Lord and Taylor prices!

Todd
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Admiral

Hi, Trip, I don't go "overboard", either . I do enjoy looking at the jewelry in the shops, but I don't buy any.

Like Todd's Fran, I waited until the last day and bought a few really inexpensive things.

I'd just never buy something really expensive anywhere except locally.

I also take my own OTC meds. I'm with you: I've seen the prices in the ship's shops ! Also, I've found that you're "reported" if you buy Imodium .

We enjoy the art auctions, but only buy what we like when it's selling for a reasonable price. I can find most of the art on eBay if I must have it!

Inspiration2002CarnivalElation2004
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream2007
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn2008
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Carnival Magic 2015 Coral Princess 2015
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Rob and I rarely shop in the stores on a ship. The only things we have bought are shot glasses and a model of the ship we are on. I prefer shopping in the ports. And like most cruisers, we plan ahead and bring all of our toiletries. (the stores know they have a captive audience so they can charge more for the convenience of buying it onboard).
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Admiral

I spend a lot of time looking, but don't buy, other than the ship model, and the usual fridge magnets or lapel pins.
Once, I forgot to bring sunscreen, and couldn't believe the ship's shop didn't sell anything over a 15 SPF! Imagine, being in the Caribbean sun for a week, with only 15 SPF! Not good enough for this lily white Northerner!

donna
Old April 19th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Admiral

Used to get the polo shirts and hats but now limit it to the ship's magnet ... sometimes I'll get jewelry (got a yellow cz ring on the Connie this month supposedly on sale from $129 for $29). Always bring all my OTC meds and toiletries.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Banned
Captain

The Mrs. (or rather, I) bought a diamond ring that was eyed-for all cruise, costing about $1400. Bought on a Carnival ship last year. We had a trusted jeweler back home here examine it, and said it was worth approximately what we (I) paid for it. No rip-off story here, sorry.
One VERY happy wife, though.
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Admiral

The only items we buy on ship are the magnets, a mug with the name of the ship and maybe a shirt....That's about it

Now....on ports, that's a different thing altogether...I love rings and look for new ones all the time...

Also mugs or glasses with the name of the port on them. Nice rememberances for home.

I have lists with post it notes on the lists of things we will need. If anyone needs anything while cruising with me...I have it

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Banned
Captain

Rollerdonna... I don't know how much time you spend in the sun, but 15 spf is 15 times the protection of none at all. So...... if it's "10 minutes to burn" with none at all, it's 150 minutes, or 2 1/2 hours to burn with spf 15. Then you re-apply. Just wanted to point that out. (I don't know anybody who stays 2 1/2 hours straight in the sun, lifeguards excluded.)
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Captain Yes, you are right, SPF does indicate the strength, it indicates the time you can stay out before needing to apply it again. Even though it says waterproof, one should alwas re apply after getting out of water.

As for shopping, looking yes, buying not really. Over priced and kind of cheap looking stuff does not really appeal to us. On GEM, the kids did get me a special edition glass ornament of the ship as she was just in the water.
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Default Shopping at Sea

Over the years, I've bougoht quite a bit on board. My DH still enjoys a jacket he bought and I often wear a pair of diamond earrings I bought on the Diamond Princess a few years back. At one point, I also bought an evening bag on a cruise and one in port on another cruise. I haven't used those very much. Not the gad-about I used to be!

Judy
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:56 AM
Admiral

I don't buy a lot, but usually a few things. I do love a good magnet!
Last cruise I bought a black pashmina - as I didn't have one and needed it - I use it all the time as a scarf by rolling it and wrapping it. Probably the best 10 bucks I have spent in a long time. Also, they had a cheap little dragonfly ring for like 20 bucks, and since I am a push over for dragonflies, I couldn't pass it up!

I happened to win a gift bag that had all kinds of ship memorablia and lancome goodies, and some fresh water pearl stuff, so I really had to buy very little on the ship last time.

Since it was a cruise north to Canada - I bought beautiful Nova Scotia plaid scarves for everyone whom I had to bring things back for (and yes, one for myself also!).