Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2009, 03:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default It's all in the accent

Being from Massachusetts I have always had that distinctive accent that turns r's to ah's. I moved to Florida and have adjusted to the local accents. Recently I was talking to a friend and it was brought home to me just how much I still sound like Massachusetts. My friends little grand daughter looked at my friend and asked Gamma, what's a caah?
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2009, 05:48 AM
Admiral

Recently there was something concerning accents on another thread. I just love 'em because I find them interesting. I really crack up when someone here in East Tennessee with their southern drawl tell's Fran (whose from Staten Island) that she has a strange accent !

My favorite is that of a close friend who became a de facto member of our family when she came over as an au pair from Normandy back in the early sixties. She now lives in North Carolina and still retains a French accent with an added southern drawl. I just love the looks on people's faces when they ask her where she's from and she replies, "Tennessee!" as from the day she arrived has considered it her real home!

Todd
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I of course, have NO Boston accent, never did So, I always wonder why people know where I am from, as soon as start talking!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 21st, 2009, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Funny you should mention accents. One of the most unexpected surprises for me when I first met some of the CruiseMates on a CM group cruise, was the proliferation of different accents. When I'm "talking" to them every day, I am reading to myself in my own accent, and just assumed everybody sounded like me! It was so strange meeting everyone and hearing all their individual accents from all over the country. Even Kuki, who is a fellow Canadian, has a slightly different "Western" accent than we do here in Quebec. In fact, I've been told many times by Americans, that I have a French accent, which is pretty funny to me, because I speak French with a decidedly English accent!
As Todd says, it fascinates me, and I love hearing all the different accents and speech patterns!

donna
(who can't wait to meet and hear Todd's accent one day!)
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:07 PM
Admiral

I'm originally from southeastern Ky. about 10 miles from the KY. / Tenn. border and so speak with that " accent " Todd mentions.
Once upon a time years ago I was in Switzerland and ran upon a set of blond twins from Boston. We hit it off right away because of our different accents--their baah ( bar ) caah (car ) etc. my dawg ( dog ) lawg ( log ) y'all etc. They were at least 2-3 inches taller than me and it was something to see the heads turn when we walked into a room , me between two blonds that looked like models and me, of course, all smiles !!
We had an absolute ball with each other and also with the waitstaff at the Hotel, bars and restaurants we visited especially after we had several drinks.
I guess some of the waitstaff is still trying to figure out where that bunch of oddballs were from, as none of us were too fluent in French or German , which most people speak in Switzerland, but we all spoke the same language and same accent, in a sense--called fun !!
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:50 AM
Admiral

One last thing about accents and Ron, you'll appreciate this one.

Some of you may recall the actress Park Overall who gained fame as the nurse on the sitcom "Empty Nest" and was in at least one major Hollywood production and can often be seen in TV movies. Park is from this town and yes, that is her real name and her accent is real....after a fashion.

Unlike the parts she often plays, Park is extremely well educated and had a father who was a Federal Magistrate and a mother who was a true thespian. I remembered Park as a little girl.

One time about ten years back after I'd retired and moved home, she was in town and came out to the house to pick up a piece I'd written for her for a radio spot for the Humane Society. We were all sitting around the kitchen table and she kept saying, "Y'all." I finally couldn't resist and said to her, "Park. Where in the hell did you pick up 'Y'all?' I continued, "Y'all is southern and you ain't southern, you's mountain folk and you know darned well we say 'You'uns! You're just as bad as Dolly Parton, talkin' like you're from Charleston!"

We all had a pretty good chuckle at that one.

Todd
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
Funny you should mention accents. One of the most unexpected surprises for me when I first met some of the CruiseMates on a CM group cruise, was the proliferation of different accents. When I'm "talking" to them every day, I am reading to myself in my own accent, and just assumed everybody sounded like me! It was so strange meeting everyone and hearing all their individual accents from all over the country. Even Kuki, who is a fellow Canadian, has a slightly different "Western" accent than we do here in Quebec. In fact, I've been told many times by Americans, that I have a French accent, which is pretty funny to me, because I speak French with a decidedly English accent!
As Todd says, it fascinates me, and I love hearing all the different accents and speech patterns!

donna
(who can't wait to meet and hear Todd's accent one day!)
About 20 years ago I took a trip to Niagara Falls and Toronto. One morning I went into a Krispy Kreme for breakfast. The woman behind the counter had a thick French accent (I thought perhaps she was from Quebec?) I am from Georgia, USA. I could not understand a word she said and she could not understand a word I said. As a line started to gather behind me as I tried to give her my order, a Canadian man starts to "translate," He had no trouble understanding either one of us!

I have a strong southern accent needless to say.

Another time, this time a cruise, we were in Newfoundland and this little boy at a restaurant we met when we stopped in for lunch thought I was from Mexico. Some fellow cruisers from our ship who were with us, (I think they were from Iowa? or perhaps Missouri?) laughed and said the child knew I was from the south, he just put me a little too far south. !
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Having read this thread made me laugh - I was visiting a family in Minnesota (many yrs ago - I was with my boyfriend (his family)) and I was talking and suddenly realized I was the only one talking in the room - I looked around and everyone said "don't quit we like your Southern accent" I said, I'm not from the south, I'm from Kansas!! but I guess for them I was far enough south!!!!
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Passenger

I live in Norther Illinois not far from the Wisconsin border. I was traveling through Southern Illinois not far from Cairo and went into a convenience store. The clerk was chatty and we conversed for a while and then she mentioned: " Y'all is from the North." I started to laugh and let her know I was from the North for sure, Northern Illinois!!
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

People tell me I have an accent and I just don't get it. THEY are the ones with accents. Another thing.....some people in New York and California talk WAAAYYYY too fast for me. My mind is still trying to comprehend their first words when they have finished speaking. I truly try to omit the y'alls from my conversation when speaking with non-southern people. Someone in New York once told me I sounded ignorant when I said y'all. Oh well, his loss.

Melody
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mteague
People tell me I have an accent and I just don't get it. THEY are the ones with accents. Another thing.....some people in New York and California talk WAAAYYYY too fast for me. My mind is still trying to comprehend their first words when they have finished speaking. I truly try to omit the y'alls from my conversation when speaking with non-southern people. Someone in New York once told me I sounded ignorant when I said y'all. Oh well, his loss.

Melody
Yes, I have heard it said before, that many seem to think southerners are stupid, because of our accents and expressions. I try and not let it irritate me, unless the other person has a strong accent themselves and sound "ignorant"to me, such as the Boston cabdriver who made fun of me and sounded like a nitwit.

But they are correct-"you" is both singular and plural-so no need to say ya'll. My mom who was NOT a southern girl, always said she did not think "you guys" that many northerners would use, sounded any better. the "guys" was not needed as "you" can be plural. She also said other parts of the country would also say "yous," which again was just as wrong as "ya'll." So southerners are not the only region who do not seem to understand that "you" can be plural.
Now to not understanding others' accents-
Many years ago on our first trip to England, I had trouble understanding Londoners the first few days. It seemed it took time for my ears to get "acclimated" to their accents. By the end of the week I had no trouble.
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Passenger

Accents are fun, but it's the funny little expressions people have that make me laugh.

When the Brits talk about the washroom/bathroom, they call i "the loo".

Orange juice is "squash"

Getting married is "getting stitched"

Getting divorces is "getting unstitched"

Staying somewhere is "stopping"

A "G n T" is a gin and tonic.

If you're a fan of the British soap opera "Coronation Street", you'll understand what I'm talking about.
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Melody, I talk like I talk where ever I'm at. If someone wants to think I'm ignorant for saying Y'all, as you said that's their loss. I try to use good grammar, be polite and respectful everywhere I go and just be myself.

One of the things people should learn about talking and speaking isn't so much what accent we may have, but knowing when to talk and when to be quite.

Popeye said it best--" I y'am what I y'am and that's all that I y'am !"