Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: How do you think Cruise Lines should handle Mexico cruises?
I want a full refund; I don't care if the cruise lines eat dirt 4 13.33%
I agree - it is the cruise lines decision - no compensation 18 60.00%
I want partial compensation - we both take some of the loss 8 26.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Telling the cruise lines what to do?

As a cruise consumer, do you feel you have the right to tell the cruise lines to stop cruising in Mexico?

As far as I am concerned H1N1 virus is not the cruise lines' fault. Therefore I feel it is up to the cruise lines to do what they think is best after they assess the situation (which they have already done and will continue to do).

Therefore, the cruise lines will either decide they should sail to Mexico because that is what they are contracted to do when I purchased the cruise. or else they will sail but not stop in Mexico because they have determined it is too risky to the health of the passengers on board.

Either way, it is the cruise lines choice because they are ultimaately resposible for what happens. In theory, the passengers onboard could take a vote and absolve the cruise lines of responsibility, but we know that would never hold up in court. So, in the end the cruise lines should have the right to do what they think is in the best interest of their passnegers.

Keep in mind, it is never in the interest of the cruise lines to "tick off" their guests. So I don't expect them to continue to offer Mexico cruises that don't go to Mexico for long. By the same token I do NOT expect the cruise lines to give compensation of money back to people if the lines are forced to skip Mexico. If they skip it it is only because they know it is too dangerous to go there.

I trust that if they feel the situation is safe then they will give the passengers what they want - a visit to Mexico. If they don't feel it is safe then a anyone who wants to go to Mexico should find another way, because the cruise ship is not going there.

And so I have to say I am a little upset about other cruise sites even asking their readers if they think the cruise lines should give a full refund or credits to people who do not want to take their scheduled cruises. The cruise lines didn't ask for this virus, and they are only protecting you by not taking you there.

Do you agree or disagree?
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Paul another choice, for the lines to give back charges/taxes for any port that is missed. Of course this does depend on whether or not these charges have been paid to the port and returned or not.

The lines are cancelling only for the safety of both passengers and crew. And of course all cruise contracts state ports may/can be cancelled.

For most cruiser (I would hope) this would be good enough.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Captain

I am having a hard time understanding this attitude that the cruiselines should reimburse for a port change.

Itineraries change all the time due to hurricanes, high winds or rough seas that make tendering dangerous or what have you. I am not sure how this is different?

Other than our VP, no one is saying that you shouldn't cruise. The cruises haven't been cancelled.

So why should the cruiseline compensate people for a change in itinerary?

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Well, i think my point of biew is pretty clear, it is like a hurricane, you avoid it for the safety of the passengers.

If passengers want you to sail into a hurricane because they paid for THAT itinerary are they willing to pay for damage to the ship if you hit a reef or have damage onboard from rolling?

No, of course they wouldn't. So why should a curise line have to pay customers if a cruise is cancelled due to health reasons beyond their control.

I'm sorry, but I think most of the people who are saying the cruise lines have an "ethical responsibility" to reimburse people for missing Mexico ports are probably mostly people booked on cruises to Mexico who don't want to go anymore and now want their money back.

But mostly I don't understand my colleagues at other cruise sites even asking passengers if they think the cruise lines should take the haircut. Of course they are going to say yes. Just like the people who cheat on their taxes or cut in lines. They always have a good reason, but it its always to their benefit.
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Admiral

People should be offered another destination that is comparable to what they booked when things like this arise. I know where I live travel agencies and major tour groups were re routing trips to sun spots in other parts of the world, that to me is fair enough. I read on this site some ones cruise going to decidedly colder place, including I think BC. If I booked Mexican for 80's temps and ended up in BC in the 60's, then no I dont see that as a good or fair switch in iten's.
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:19 AM
First Mate

I agree with Paul. These people complaining, I can't get over it. It takes all kinds.............................
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:10 PM
Admiral

I do feel bad for the West Coast cruisers having to go to much colder ports. However the cruiseline did not want this to happen this way so it is out of their hands.

When booking a cruise one should remember that ports can change for different reasons.

From what I understand the cruisers will be getting an OBC so I think that is great for the cruiseline to do.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 1st, 2009, 10:09 PM
Banned
Captain

How easy is it for a cruise ship to just "show up" in another port? The infrastructure may not be able to cope. Cayman Islands is a good example. I'm not sure a cruise ship is even allowed to anchor in their waters if it is not scheduled in one of their limited "slots". Going ashore is impossible.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Admiral

I remember about a year or so ago the Explorer of the Seas had to change its itinerary to New England from the Eastern Caribbean because of a hurricane. Some people howled to the yardarms. Sometimes when I read such gripes, I want the cruise ship to actually sail into the hurricane and let those idiots find out what it's really like. As my 'ol buddy the late Justin Wilson from way down yonder in Baton Rouge "Looosiana" used to say, "I garrrronnntee" there wouldn't be a second request.

It would be nice were the ship to offer something such as a three hour open bar to assuage the passenger's anger. Seriously, they should do what Nancy suggested, refund in some manner the taxes and port fees associated with that stop. For all that I know they probably do.

Delft, depending upon from where you're sailing, a ship cannot always sail to an alternative destination with similar climes to the ones on the original itinerary. I am sure the clients of the travel agents to which you are referring were flying to their destinations. The best Cruise line in the world can't afford to rebook anyone who's dissatisfied with a change in itinerary no matter how severe. I can see it now, "I was promised a sunny vacation spot but a Hurricane is tearing up the southern Atlantic and there's no way to get to the Caribbean so I demand that you either sail this ship right across the Atlantic to southern Spain or fly me to Fiji and put me up at a swank hotel! " See how completely unreasonable things would become Delft and believe me, they would!!

And remember. It always pays to read one's contract. I was reading cruise contracts long before I ever cruised.

Todd
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Admiral

The best part of a cruise is to be on a ship. If they change the ports it does not bother me.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Manuel,

I concur. My niece once said I'd be happy if the Explorer of the Seas just sailed in and out of NY Harbor for ten days. She's not far from being right!

Todd
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Captain

I think it is very simple. All we pay for is 5,7,10 days on a ship. Once onboard where it goes they make clear is at the option of the cruise line. That said with the drastic changes in itineraries all passengers should have the option to cancel and get a full refund prior to the cruise

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Admiral

I'm going to speak about Carnival cruiseline down here. Because I know how they handled it for the Splendor May 3, 2009 cruise. They changed the ports from Mexico to Victoria, Seattle, and San Francisco (you can't swim in the ocean at any of these locations the water is cold). Then they gave the passengers OBC of $75 per person (seven day cruise). They gave the passengers the choice of cruising the new ports or changing their cruise without penalties. There was no comp. for airfare and no cash refunds. You could not cancel your cruise and book the same cruise at the lower price, however upgrades were allowed.

I'm guessing the other lines handled it similar. I liked this approach it give the passengers sailing on May 3 a choice. Who I feel bad for is the ones that sailed April 26 they were on board when this happened so they had no choices. I think thier OBC should be higher than the May 3. I hadn't heard what the OBC was for the April 26 Splendor passenger. I beleive the April 26 Splendor passengers only went to one port (San Francisco).

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994