Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Media Overload??

The humongus large headline in our Boston paper, said...KILLER FLU STALKS MASS! Well.........we have 2 confirmed cases, and one pending. The 2 boys have a mild case and are doing fine. SOOOOOOO....

Why does the media feel the need to overly inflate the situation, and create a panic? Hand sanitizer is flying off the shelves..the masks, which they are selling by the truckload, which btw, are not supposed to do any good anyway, are making Michael Jackson clones out of normally rational citizens.

I think Peter Greenberg said it best, he called this panic..Infodemic. An abundance of caution, or, an abundance of panic and fear? We all need to be cautious of course, and need, correct & sensible information to move forward to protect our families, but, the media is scaring many. How is your area,and media reacting to this situation?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:49 AM
Admiral

Trip,

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. Please see my reply posted at 10:45 PM under "Are you changing your plans......"

Todd
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:14 AM
Banned
Captain

We need a good old sex scandal to keep the media busy.
psst: oh, Britney!!! Lay off the meds for a bit, wontcha please, dear?
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:20 AM
Admiral

Yes and No. Yes because I am tired of seeing it continually on the news and No because its frankly typical to me of American style news. Its on our news quite abit yes, but takes up a far smaller percentage of news time than it is on American News Stations. I personally find American Media goes on and on and on about every "event" at times at nauseaum.....so for me its just another topic, but same style of reporting news. The only good thing is I am no lonnger hearing economically we are all doomed.......I do feel media coverage has made people who are other wise not having financial difficulty, are not affected by the economic down turn to any real degree, hold onto their money simply because of the reporting that the sky is falling and we are all broke.
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Well, I guess they think it'll sell papers. Now our wise vice president is telling us all that we absolutely should NOT ride in any public transportation,,ie: airplanes, subways, or buses. That's easy for him to say, as he has that big beautiful "Air Force 2", and that beautiful limo that we all pay for. HMMMMM,,,,,,don't get me started. I have a bumper sticker that says it all. "Danger,,,Retired, Opinionated, Marine Aboard". Yes,,,it gets a lot of comments.

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:12 AM
First Mate

Hard to say. If it makes people wash their hands more, I'm all for it.
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Hope you're right Susie but past being prologue, or to use a variation on another theme, thems that usually wash 'em will and them's that don't won't.
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

[/b]I have to agree totally with Trip. It gets to the point, you don't know what to believe. Yes, we need to be aware and careful, but to what extent?? I certainly hope this goes away quickly and that more people don't get it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Susier...

I thikn your argument is the best one FOR all the media overload yet. Seriously, thank you.

It is true that if it leads to people being more cautious about cleanliness then it is good, but here is the problem I am seeing, Trip. I totally agree with you. It is the media.

No matter how many times an official says "don't panic" or "this is not a reason to panic" the media passes right over that and goes straight to...

"World Health Crisis" "People dying" ...

And they ask people what THEY think we should do instead of telling us what the pros think we should do.

CNN is the worst. I live in a border state and I think we may have a few cases. Geeze, how bad can it possibly be?
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Admiral

It amazes me quite frankly how many people talk about hand washing now, like hello, its been well known for ever and a day we need to wash our hands, I remember as a teen working as a girl friday and often the reception desk. The bathrooms were right near the reception desk and one could always hear the taps turn on.........if they were used............by far, especially the mens bathroom, there was no hand washing going on ............and sadly many many years later this continues, even by health proffessionals that should know better.
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Trip you are right.

Media loves this stuff and do go way overboard.

This morning on the Rachel Ray show there was a mother and daughter on the show (well actually via telephone) from New Jersey. The daughter had Swine and was taking meds and feeling better however the mom has it now and taking meds for it. Both gals have Not been in the hospital and will have a full recovery shortly.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:09 PM
Admiral

IMO the media overblows EVERYTHING. I've given up on watching the NY talking heads who don't report the news but make the news.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:14 PM
First Mate

I thought the masks were only good to keep your flu germs from spreading to others and then I read that surgical masks are anti.-microbial -- will that stop a virus?
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Admiral

Jaxon,

As I understand it the answer is....maybe some. The problem lies in the fact that from what I've read, epidemiologists think this strain is passed hand to mouth rather than airborne. Of course it would protect against someone getting the virus on their hands and then inadvertently touching their nose and mouth. I don't know about the eyes but if I were a gambling man which I'm not, I'd have to say that I should think the eyes may provide a port of entry as well. The only mask that I have read that would provide a lot of protection would be a full face respirator mask and then of course, the person would still have to thoroughly wash their hands prior to removing.

Truth is, the best defence remains thorough hand washing.

Todd
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Admiral

Swine here, swine there, swine everywhere.

Readers outside the Earth would think the pigs had taken over…….

And maybe the world would be a more civilized place if pigs ran the thing…..

Whatever the case, swine of every stripe have captured the media. For swine these days, there’s no better place than in front of the camera…..

And so the swine…..

The State of Oregon, inundated with 3 cases of Swine Flu has issued a public health alert. Wash your hands, get enough sleep, and get on with your life.

And don’t drive drunk. You’re thousands of times more likely to be killed driving drunk than by any swine.

Quite naturally of course, my employer is up in arms over swine. E-mails detailing company policy regarding swine of every ilk have been issued. Company policy, as regards swine, is first to remain calm. At some point down the road, after remaining calm, company policy directs to send the swine-infected employee home. Asking the swine-infected employee at home, to stay at home, isn’t mentioned in company policy. Better to have the infected employee report to work, infect everyone else – and have the rest of us stay calm – than to preclude the problem in the first place.

Fear always trumps common sense. Humans are emotional creatures. Ruled by far too much emotion, far too little logic.

And so swine…….

Wash your hands, stay away from people hacking all over you, and know that this too shall pass.

Old May 5th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Captain

Surgical masks are just a feel-good measure promoted by the govt like when the Bush Admin said to stock up on duct tape following 9/11.

It's something easy and proactive that the general public can do but honestly is of little real help.

The real problem is the media creating hysteria. We need Lyndsay Lohan to go on a drunken binge to get this off the front pages.

Remember a few years ago when the Bird Flu was going to be the next pandemic? Media was reporting there'd be no chicken to eat. People were stocking up on canned goods. But that came and went.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas