Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Default It's SATURDAY!

Morning All, from a bright and sunny Montreal. At the moment it's only 6C (42F) and it's only supposed to go up to 16 (60F).
It could be a little warmer for my taste, but it's perfect weather for the painting I have to do today. We finally decided on a nice soft, butter yellow, so I'd better get started, and get this room back to normal!
Might even have a chance to do some gardening work outdoors, the backyard still needs a good raking and clean-up. Looks like it will be a busy day!

donna
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates,

Nothing much going on here, except the fact that I must get motivated. My house need a thorough cleaning!

Wish I were on a cruise....

Good day all,
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Good Morning RDonna!

It's a cloudy morning here in upper East Tennessee and according to the radar will soon be a wet one as well. Rain and thunderstorms are forecast for today and tomorrow so it appears we'll have a wet weekend. We do still so need the rain, however, so I am glad for the farmers.

The only real fly in the ointment is that right now, it appears the "good 'ol boys" who are up in Richmond, might have their night race rained out this evening. (Snarl :evil: ).

Glad to know that we were well accompanied yesterday in our trip to Wally World. As I've previously remarked, I used to make a joke about everyone going to Wally World all the time. To illustrate how much we've changed, I'll paraphrase Walt Kelly's "Pogo," "We has found the shoppers and they is us!" I'd love to to take Fran to Targets, or TJ Maxx but it's a long way to drive just for "impulse" buying. Having said that, it does have its benefits for me as well, as there's a "Books A Million" in the same cluster of stores.

It's time for yours truly to launch into a rant. As you who regularly read my posts are aware, I love good beef, pork, chicken etc. and have lost a lot of patience with the meat industry in general. Am I the only person who has noticed that it is getting harder to find any but the freshest meat at the better supermarkets that has not been adulterated with flavorings and salt and even in some of their pre-packaged fresh meats?

I've previously ranted about what's happened with the beef in this country (a classic examply being that horrific stuff they sell at Wal Mart that is not only USDA Select (which I refer to as "USDA Roadkill") but which has been "enhanced" with so many additives and salt it is for us at least, literally inedible. Now pretty much all the pre-packaged pork and chicken is receiving the same treatment, especially since one company now controls if not all, the overwhelming amount of pork wholesaled in this country. All of this "stuff" they inject they often pass off as "flavor enhancers." "broth" and of course there are "No artificial additives," etc.

Don't believe me? Okay then do this the next time you're in your neighborhood supermarket. Understanding that a serving of pork that has absolutely no "enchancement" has maybe 60 to 70 mg of sodium per serving, find that information on the average package of branded prepackaged raw pork (such as cryovac'd or vaccuum packed) excepting of course things such as pre-cooked or items such as hams, bacon, etc., flip it over and find the mandatory nutritional information box and look at the amount of sodium in the "fresh" piece of meat you are buying. I again use Gomer Pyle's famous, "Surprise! Surprise!" That 60 or so grams of sodium has suddenly doubled or maybe even trebled. Same thing with the fresh chicken you're buying. Yeah, the package says "All Natural-No Artificial Preservatives" but flip it over as well and read the sodium content. Salt is not, of course, "Artificial." The meat industry will tell you it's to "enhance" flavor. What they don't tell you is it's real purpose is to extend shelf life. I don't know about you, but I'd rather myself "enhance" the flavor of the meat I purchase. There are one or two major brands of fresh chicken that don't do this, but the overwhelming number do.

Okay, rant's over. I do have an ulterior motive in these occasional complaints. I truly want to make everyone to be aware that the meat industry is getting so "good" at hiding this stuff on their labeling by using terms such as "Nothing Artificial" that now I've started viewing that phrase to mean "Salt Alert" even though it may be on a long trusted brand.

Geesh, I've gone on long enough. Talk about verbosity!

Prayers continue for everyone on the list and daily request continue to be made for Blessings on everyone!

Todd
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Good morning all. Not much planned except house cleaning and like Jen I can't get motivated.

My grandson has a baseball game tonight that I will go to. Also still working on scrapbooks. Seven more to go.

Everyone have a great day.

Need some cruise help?
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
Admiral

I buy almost no meat in the stores. I order mine far in advance from the farmer.......I pay extra, but any meat I get is from an animal that did not receive hormones, things artificial to fatten him/her up, antibiotics given only if an animal was sick etc, and trust me I notice very much the differance in my meat as opposed to what I see in the super market. It is butchered at a small abitoire I think it is called, wrapped in paper, plain and simple, but good. Its a small farm relatively speaking, the animals are treated well and its not factory farming or factory butchering.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Right now the sun is shining and it is a bit chilly out. The mail should be here soon. The grass is soggy and wet from all the recent rain... andas a result my yard is closely resembling a jungle. I need to get out and whack it down to size before the next wave of rain takes hold.

Todd, I refuse to buy meat at Wal-martytr for exactly the reasons you cite. I think someone really has to try to make something that was once so tasty, taste so bland and yucky. Then the additives that are just another way to increase the weight of the product without a benefit to the consumer (this practice should be outlawed). I do like the meat I find here at my small town grocery store, that is when the prices are good. I will not pay $11 or more per pound for a ribeye though. I also have a local farmer that I bought a half or quarter beef from and that was wonderful meat. About 45 minutes from here in Sidell, IL there is a butcher shop that sells organic beef and it too is wonderful. The prices are pretty good. It is annoying that you don't have the convenience of buying all your grocerys at the same store, but it is worth it. Things seem to be going full circle and I am hopeful those with discerning palates and tastes will once more start supporting our Mom & Pop shops rather than sacrificing taste and quality for convenience. We're all busy and I know it is just simple and quick to do all your shopping in one place, but I'm willing to drive an extra mile or two or three for a good steak or roast.

Well I am off to tackle the jungle. Wish me luck. If I don't come back and post tomorrow, send a search party.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:05 PM
Captain

Hi All

We spent the last 2 days at my youngest son's university watching him taking the walk. He graduated with a Bachelor of Science with a minor in History. He specializing in Cellar and Molecular Biology. Needless to say we are extremely proud.

Irish 8)
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012