Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: How Many People in the U.S. have been hospitalized for Swine Flu
0 - 13 people hospitalized 9 75.00%
14 - 54 people hospitalized 1 8.33%
55 - 143 people hospitalized 0 0%
144 - 332 people hospitalized 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default SWINE FLU POLL - HOSPITALIZATIONS IN THE U.S.

How many people do you believe have been hospitalized in the United States for flu symptoms related to the Swine Flu?
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

PLEASE RESPOND TO THE POLL FIRST - THIS IS TO GUAGE THE AFFECT OF THE MEDIA TO YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE SWINE FLU OUTBREAK

THE ANSWER IS BELOW:

The number of people hospitlaized in the United States for Swine Flu to date (Saturday, May 2) is 13.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
Admiral

I believe I heard today (Sunday , 3 May) that it's up to nineteen. Definitely a reason to panic.

Todd
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I just watched the Sunday morning CDC update and she said there were 30 hospitalizations.
Another update is that the CDC has now gotten virus identification kits to the states so they can now verify witjh no delay. This will bring the number of cases up nationwide in the next couple of days, but then it should flatten out and hopefully start to die out.

The CDC also said they are getting to the point where they are not going to require identifying the virus in every case but only in the cases where it is vital (to the treatment, I suppose) to know.

There are 226 cases confirmed nationwide - and that includes cases the states identified (not the CDC directly) with the new kits they have sent out.

Definitely cause for panic
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Dr. Isodore Rosenfeld (who comes up with the most factual and timely information of any television physician I've ever seen and who doesn't pull any punches whatsoever (at his age, he doesn't have to today recommended the following:

With the exception of travel to Mexico he sees absolutely no reason for anyone to cancel travel plans with destinations anywhere else.

Todd
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Considering that over 30,000 people die of the respiratory flu (influenza) EVERY YEAR IN THIS COUNTRY ALONE; what the media has done with this supposed swine flu "pandemic" is, imho, totally outrageous.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Admiral

I concur, Lisa but you also have to remember this. If it had turned out to be major serious and they hadn't done what they have, everyone would be screaming for their hides then as well.

My big problem with the media is that once they realized that it wasn't going to be that serious, they didn't back off. Why? Because scaring folks results in their watching TV and the more who watch TV, the higher the advertising rates can go.

Yep, it's a shame.

Todd
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Todd, I totally agree with you. Once the media was told that this strain was not as virulent as originally thought, they should have backed off. Does anyone else remember SARS or the Bird Flu a couple of years ago?
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The media - ESPECIALLY CNN - has become shameless. I remember the day when any reputable news source would follow up a CDC message with "keep in mind, it is their job to warn of the worst possible scenario."

No - this go 'round CNN took the WHO upgrading it to level 5 which is a BIG step below pandemic and started referring to it as "the eminent pandemic."

And all pandemic means is a disease that is in several different nations - but it sounds so virilent.

On CNN they used "breaking news" as the headline onscreen everytime they talked about the disease. It has been very shameless.
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

[quote="ToddDH"]I concur, Lisa but you also have to remember this. If it had turned out to be major serious and they hadn't done what they have, everyone would be screaming for their hides then as well.

[/quote}

"way to go Brownie"
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
The media - ESPECIALLY CNN - has become shameless. I remember the day when any reputable news source would follow up a CDC message with "keep in mind, it is their job to warn of the worst possible scenario."

No - this go 'round CNN took the WHO upgrading it to level 5 which is a BIG step below pandemic and started referring to it as "the eminent pandemic."

And all pandemic means is a disease that is in several different nations - but it sounds so virilent.

On CNN they used "breaking news" as the headline onscreen everytime they talked about the disease. It has been very shameless.
Paul, of everyone on here, I would have bet you would be the last to depend on CNN, MSLSD, NBC, etc.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten