Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Default Spectacular Sunday!!!

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms here as we are celebrating a week early since d/h will be in Los Angeles this time next week. Hope it is a beautiful Sunday for you all.

Well plans for our trip next week to Holiday World are nearly complete. I simply have to check on the Fifth wheel battery either it is low on water or the converter is hosed up, which I doubt. I also need to sift through boxes of stuff to repack all of our gear from last year. When they replaced the roof and exterior walls last fall, they packed a lot of our stuff in boxes and it has been sitting in the garage all winter. I was able to reserve a nice spot at Lake Rudolph with a pull through spot so I don't have to struggle with backing the behemoth up. When I'm all hitched up and headed down the road we're nearly 50 feet long all together and I do not enjoy backing it up, unless I have no choice.

Well d/h told me last week that the mower wouldn't start. Since I have a lot more experience with our tempermental machine than he does, I thought I would have a go at it. I was succesful...well sort of

I removed the shroud from the engine, I removed a giant mouse nest from the engine which is amazing since we had deconstructed one just like it a week ago. Well there of course were five baby mice in there, so I picked up the whole lump of nest, babies and all and set it outside the shed. I just don't have it in me to kill anything right now except ants at the moment. Did I tell you guys that I had just finished watching the movie Desperaux for the fourth time in 24 hours? Anyway I looked around the mower wondering if there were anymore living things residing in the mower and saw nothing. Well I pulled the choke and turned the key and immediately saw a gaggle of live mice run out from under the mower and mouse guts splattered all over the back of the mower and the walls of the yard barn.

I wish I could say that this is the first time I had accidentally comitted mass mouse murder, but there is a reason my Husband calls me "KILLER" and mice cower in my presence. D/H on the other hand goes out there with the intent to kill them and really never succeeds. He's sheared off a leg or two with a golf club, but if you need to get rid of a mouse problem, don't call him. He simply maims them and then gives up, shrugs his shoulders and walks away.

I am pretty sure I have figured out how and where they are getting into the shed, so maybe later this week I will go out and see if I can resolve this dilemma once and for all. I really don't need this kind of excitement.

Yesterday turned out to be lovely. Today should be more of the same. I got the yard mowed except for a small patch still under water on the south end of the property, which I will probably be able to do today. I only got the mower stuck in the mud once lol. D/H had fun pushing it out. I know he was disappointed he didn't get a mud bath in the process. We all went into town and finally found "weed" without the "feed". I hate the dandelions and weeds, but refuse to buy weed and feed, because my lawn is plenty green and lush enough, it definitely does not need fertilizer. I just want to kill the weeds and not do anything to accelerate growth. So we came home and d/h got out the broadcast spreader. We quickly realized that we should have bought twice as much, then the neighbor offered to finish the job with his sprayer, since he had extra liquid "weed" available from doing his job. This was really nice and so I went around and sprayed his weeds that were next to his driveway and sidewalks. The ones I sprayed started to wilt within hours. I also sprayed all the poison ivy and brush along the fence line in hopes we can thin that out. This fall I want to hire someone to come out and clean up that fence line, yet spare the trees growing there.

Irish, congratulations! I can sure see why you are so proud of your son!

Well I hope you all have a great Sunday. Enjoy the ones you love. Prayers being sent for those in need. Hang in there!

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from Montreal, where I'm still laughing about BW's adventure with all the little "Despereaux"!!
BW, you do lead an interesting life!

Looks like another bright sunny day out there today, but it's only 9C at the moment (48F) so a bit chilly.
I think I will take a break from painting today, as I can hardly lift my right arm, and every muscle in my body is screaming. I am finished the final coat, just have all the baseboards and door trim to do, plus paint the new 1/4 rounds ( the room was missing!) Then I have to try to do something with the floor, but I have no energy left at the moment.
It will be nice when I can get the computer and the wall unit out of the middle of the room also!

Irish, a big congratulations for your son, that's quite a remarkable degree!

Have a good on Mates!

donna
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Captain

Good morning to all. It looks to be a rainy day here in Ohio. BW you live such an exciting life, mice and all. I'll call you if I need an exterminator! Yesterday was a good work day for me. I spent most of the day catching up with a whole lot of computer work, got so many files straightened out I surprised myself. I have had the entire weekend alone as hubby is gone on a golf weekend with friends. It has been kinda nice but will be glad when he gets home.

Last night was our high school prom. My youngest niece is a senior so I went to what they call the Grand March where the kids, all dressed in their finest, are introduced and photos are taken. I can't get over the elaborate dresses some of the girls had. They must have cost lots of $$$$. This will be the last one I will need to attend until my granddaughter goes to prom and she is only in kindergarten so I have awhile to wait.

Today I will be traveling to Columbus, Ohio with my Mom and 2 sisters. We are attending a memorial service at Ohio State University for families who had someone donate their bodies to the medical school. My Dad did this when he passed last June. It was something he was adiment about having done once he was gone. He said that future doctors had to have bodies to use for study or we won't have any good doctors in the future. We honored his wishes so we know he was pleased with us. I miss Dad so much. Especially this time of year when the Nascar season is under way. I was the tomboy in the family, since Dad only had girls, I was his boy! We went to races as much as we could and when we couldn't we watched them on TV. I have so many great memories of he, I and racing.

Sorry I got off on memory lane. Hope everyone has a great day. Prayers to all those in need.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning cruisers and mouse mass murderers.

BW: You are far more tolerant of rodents than I am. If you have that many little creatures there are many more hiding in less conspicuous places. I am a firm believer in well placed D-Con to get rid or keep away rodents. If you take the time to place the bait in places where children and pets cannot get it your problems will be far less.

Now when it comes to rats D-Con won't work. A 12 gauge shotgun and 00 Buckshot are the only things I will use to get near a rat. As I have always said: "There are only two things in this world I fear: Rats and my wife."

Nothing on the agenda for today. Yesterday was the official birthday party for my granddaughter. I can't believe she is now seven. This was the first birthday where she picked the guests and the venue. We had seven kids and eight adults. The venue was mini-golfing at the most interesting mini-golf course I have ever seen. It is more like an outdoor art exhibit than a mini-golf course. The kids loved it as well as the moms who were able to buy some handcrafted jewelry. Grandpa made the birthday cake at the last minute because yesterday morning my daughter called in a panic and said the bakery messed up the order. So a chocolate cake with butter-cream frosting was whipped up in two hours.

It wasn't fancy but all of it was eaten so it passed the "kid test". After five hours the kids came down from their sugar high and the party was deemed a success. Now grandma and grandpa can spend today recovering.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Picking up on Mike's theme, a rousing Good Morning to: Mouse Mangler, RDonna, Sue, Mike and all the Mates who follow.

Irish, please allow me to add my congratulations to your Son. I am glad to read that History was his minor. I don't expect for the average individual to be as deep into history as am I, but I do think today's students not only need more history, but even more importantly, history of the non biased politically correct variety that attempts to sugar coat or in some cases even completely miss state fact, a problem in our schools which today seems to be the norm.

B/W, I would assume you provided full funerals and proper burials. But then I should know what happens when I assume something!

Donna, take a break for heaven's sake and give your whole body a rest. You've been going non-stop of late.

Welcome Sue, to the world of today's teenagers. Everytime I have cause to see the parking lot of the local high school I am stunned not only by the number but by the newness of the cars. That lot is chock full of brand new and in some cases high dollar vehicles and few of these kids make enough money to support such a vehicle if indeed they have part time jobs at all. I know for a fact that in many many instances, they drive far nicer vehicles than their parents. As the kids today say, "Go figure!"

It sounds Mike, as if you are truly a baker and of my all time favorite cake and icing!

We awoke to a rainy morning. I am glad because we need rain so badly and it appears we could get as much as three inches in the period extending to tomorrow night. I hope so.

Really basic menu today that several of you enjoyed over the past few weeks; a varation on Thanksgiving Dinner.

The menu will include: tossed salad with homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing, oven roasted whole turkey breast infused with white wine, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet corn on the cob, Broccoli Rabe and buttery hot southern style yeast rolls topped off with a repeat from a couple of weeks ago of one of my favorite desserts, freshly baked hot turnovers dressed with a dollop of ice cream.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Default Spectacular Sunday

Good morning from Southern California where the sun decided to sleep in.

Todd and Travelsue, I envy you your rain. We're done with that til October, or so.

Keith and I will see a play this afternoon. One more to go and the season is done. I hope Keith will say yes to an early dinner at Scott's Seafood afterward.

Have a nice Sunday!

Judy
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
It's not snowing, so I won't whine, ok?I sure do wish it was a hot hot hot day gain, like last week.....

This is the 3rd day in a row, of back breaking killer days for Bruce and my son, moving the print shop, from one place to another.A gross of pain killers, might to the trick for both of them. With the baby due at any minute, my son, may have to scamble.

I have the day to myself, unless my daughter decides a trip to the gym is a must do.

BW, all I can say, is OY, yuck, eek...and, so many more adjectives are running around in my mind!!!! You are my hero, from afar, thankfully.

The roast beef is thawing, and whatever goes with it, is up in the air right now...

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Its an absolutely beautiful day here, we have a turkey smoking, kids coming over later to help eat it :-) Going to run the dog over to the park and let her swim, can't keep her out of the water....So glad I finally have a Sunday off and its nice out!

Mike, hope the mouse problem gets under control.. Trip, best of luck to you, you certainly have lots going on.

Everyone, enjoy the day!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
Captain

Good Morning

Not a lot going on here, just getting my niece and her family ready to fly back home to California. They came in for the weekend for my son's graduation. What a wonderful surprise as we have not seen them for 2 years and our great niece and nephew have really grow..

Well I have to go we have to finish getting them ready.

Y'all have a great Alabama Day.

Irish 8)
May you get to Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead.
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Good morning everyone

and way to go Beenie Weenie with the mouses---brought back memories of something my dad did---

The weather here is so so---San Jose CA that is---- who knows if it will rain today or not----we do need the rain-----

Yes Happy Mother's Day to all--no matter when your planning on celebrating---- I work on Sundays but would love to do a Champagne brunch---but also hate to fight the crowds on special days like these--so will make up for it on another day-----

Wishing everyone well-- continued positive thoughts and prayers going out to all------were still hanging in with what my family is dealing with------some days are better than others---but at least we have the days----

cheers all
off to work I go
April
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Todd, can I come to your house for dinner? We're stuck with Hamburger Helper tonight....

donna
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
Todd, can I come to your house for dinner? We're stuck with Hamburger Helper tonight....

donna
But Donna "It Makes a Great meal!!"
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:31 PM
Admiral

You and James are certainly more than welcome RDonna as is everyone. Of course if you'uns all show up at one time, I 'reckon some of you'uns will be eatin' turkey and some of you'uns will be eatin' the Hamburger Helper. And yep, Joey, we have that as well. Fran makes it when we're in a rush. It provides an impetus to me to remain on schedule!

Todd
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyanddavid
Quote:

donna
o funny, but I must ask, am I the only person who loves that stuff? Every one I know hates it, I have it but once or twice a year and I love it, even my sister who's a garbage can for food, eats anything hates it!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delft
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyanddavid
Quote:

Donna
o funny, but I must ask, am I the only person who loves that stuff? Every one I know hates it, I have it but once or twice a year and I love it, even my sister who's a garbage can for food, eats anything hates it!
I never developed a taste for Hamburger Helper but at one time I lived off of Tuna Helper. I haven't had it in almost 30 years so I need to buy a box and see if it's the same as it used to be.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Matter of fact, Mike, I like Tuna Helper much more than Hamburger Helper. We have it all the time.

Todd
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Personally, I prefer good old Kraft Dinner - with ketchup!
Nothing like comfort food!

donna
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Personally, I prefer good old Kraft Dinner - with ketchup!
Nothing like comfort food!

donna
Kraft dinner yes, ketchup NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Default Spectacular Sunday

Am I the only one out there who's never had either Hamburger Helper of Tuna Helper?

Judy
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:40 PM
Admiral

WHAT JUDY? ARE YOU FROM ANOTHER PLANET?

You have definitely missed the absolute pinnacle of world cuisine. So get yourself out to the grocery tomorrow and get an education!

On second thought, you might want to mention it to your hubby first. Maybe he's already eaten it somewhere.................

Todd