Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Default Lost fortune? Or is $87.2 million just unclaimed?

Who leaves $87.2 million unclaimed????

One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM

You would be amazed at the number of lottery winnings that go unclaimed albeit when the sum is over 87 million it is, shall we say, a tad unusual.

I would guess in most cases the people lost the ticket or maybe misread it and threw it away, etc.

Then of course, they may be in the process of getting rid of a Spouse with whom they'd have to share it if they cashed it in before the divorce was completed.

All the above reasons notwithstanding, if someone has the winning ticket and knows it and has yet to claim that kind of money, then by gosh and by gorrah, they're too stupid to be allowed to collect!

Seriously though, you are going to think what I'm about to relate is aphocryphal but it isn't because I know the couple this happened to and I could prove it if I had to. A couple of decades ago, there lived in a Brooklyn apartment an Italian couple who were in their upper sixties. Once a week, the husband would collect from elderly neighbors and family the money and the numbers desired by the purchaser and go down and purchase the lottery tickets at the corner candy store. This of course included his wife who never stayed with the same numbers, choosing different ones each week. This went on like clockwork for years.

Without fail the couple would watch the drawing on Saturday night on TV. One Saturday, the wife was watching with her numbers that she had given her husband written on a pad in her hand. The numbers were read and she had won over four million dollars! She started screaming and jumping up and down and said to the husband, "Let me see my ticket!" He went into his pocket and.................he had neglected, for whatever reason, to purchase one ticket. It had never happened before.

As it turned out, there was no winner that weekend and had that ticket been purchased she would have been the sole winner. Believe it or not, there was no homicide that night.

BUT, the man, who was an irascible person if ever there were one, brushed it off. Had I acted like he did I'd be pushing up Daisies right now and my wife would have been made familiar with life in a penal institution.

My wife, about two months after the event remarked to the Italian man's wife, "How are you able to wake up next to him every morning, especially with his attitude and the way he always talks down to you?" She replied that things like that just happened in life. We all (including their own son) were amazed she took it so well.

About a year and a half later, the codger was only getting worse when it came to being nasty. Around that time we happened to be visiting when his wife turned to mine and asked, "Do you remember that question you asked me shortly after he forgot to buy the lottery ticket?" Fran replied that she did. The woman then said, "It get's harder every morning....e-v-e-r-y morning!"

Old May 4th, 2009, 11:02 PM

Oh there it is. I was wondering where my retirement fund went........

Old June 9th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I would be really interested to learn more about this 87.2 million. What do you mean it's unclaimed. I would like to know if it's still possible to claim it. Was it on the carnival cruise line fascination in 2002 in may june ish.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 07:23 AM
Welcome Newcomer
Default wondering if you had more info

I tried to send another email but I'm not sure if it went through. Anyway, any information on that cruise would be awesome. Do you know if it's even possible to claim it still. Honestly I got three checks I didn't cash and a lot of striff from the people around me. I was only 19. I'm 31 now. I was just hoping you could point me in the right direction. You see I've been searching calling talking to anyone I thought could help. I found you on the internet and thanked God. I feel bad for anyone that ever had to go through this. Thanks for all your help. Nathan Thomas
Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:40 AM

Nt -not sure what you are questioning. The article is about an unclaimed lottery prize. Nothing to do with a cruise.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015

carnival, cruise, fortune, tickets, unclaimed