Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Disturbing article

http://www.gadling.com/2009/05/07/fl...in-24-hours%2F

This story is disturbing for two reasons.. First and formost, that this poor man passed away from this disease, and, the article does not give us enough information. They just automatically blame the cruise ship for his health issue...not mentioning that, maybe, the possibility that he came onboard with the bacteria.

I think the reporter could have, and should have, given us many important facts, but they chose not to...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Admiral

I feel bad for the man, but the article is pure cruise bashing.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Its a shame that the guy didn't make it, but I have to agree, lots of missing info in the article. Seems every chance some reporters get, they blame the cruise ship and its not fair.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Admiral

I agree this is definitely not any form of good, objective journalism. It is clearly biased.
In my younger days when I was more open about the fact that I really didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up. I flirted with the thought of entering the medical field on some level. I had a part time job working as a unit secretary in the ICU of a level one trauma center on the weekends. To kind of get my feet wet.

One day I came in and there was a young girl who was in very bad shape. The Doctors tried everything they had in their arsenal to fight this flesh eating bacteria, but the girl ended up dieing later that day. It made a very distinct impression on me that she was young (about my own age)and in many respects normal and healthy, but somehow had the misfortune to come in contact with this deadly bacteria. The Doctors tried their best to save her but there was nothing they could do. I feel the same transpired in this man's situation. I don't think the cruise ship carries any more specific bacteria than what could be found on land. It sounds as though they gave him prompt medical care and then evacuated him to a land based hospital at the earliest opportunity. Aside from high powered antibiotics and surgical interventions, I am not sure what else could have been done in the case. When bacteria does not respond to the drugs that would normally kill it, what can a Doctor do?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Very sad. But, I don't know that there is anyone to blame - these things happen - it happens more frequently on land, I would presume. Only because I don't recall hearing about it on a ship before.
Old May 8th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Alright sportsfans, here's the "skinny" on Flesh Eating disease.

While a very rare disease, Necrotising Fasciitis is initially caused by a common Streptococcus bacteria that usually manifests itself by causing far less dangerous illnesses (i.e.: strep throat), etc. While again, rare, it often is contracted by those suffering suppressed immune systems when they are exposed to the proper conditions.

The disease often occurs as a result of an open wound, especially if that injury has been exposed to sea water, clams or other types of shell fish. Onset of symptoms occurs anywhere from several hours up to a day after the infection commences.

While it can be communicated, such transferral is difficult and when it occurs is usually transferred via very close contact such as kissing. the mortality rate is 30% (although scare mongers will increase that figure to 70%). Even if transferred, that is still no guarantee that the recipient will come down with the disease itself but many professionals suggest that people that close to the patient monitor themselves and begin a regimen of antibiotics should they suffer any symptoms of illness.

A very dangerous disease that can prove fatal, it is treatable most often by mandatory debridement (surgical removal of effected tissue) along with antibiotics. It is not a case of "flesh eating" but rather of the subcutaneous layer of skin dying as a result of the bacteria.

Now everyone will of course blame the cruise industry. What they won't tell you is that one of the easiest places to contract an illness, even a serious one is..........................yep, you guessed it. The hospital!!

Todd
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Captain

ewwwww.... nasty.
Flesh eating bacteria... swine flu... pirates... terrorists...
It's a wonder any of us ever leave our houses.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Admiral

I agree with most of what Todd wrote except that the easiest place to get it is hospitals. True, often surgical patients are at risk for this, but the bacteria is not a hospital bacteria, its all around us, its just for what ever reason, it takes hold and causes disease in a small percentage and doesnt in the vast majority. It's just one of those things. Many of us carry this bug and it never causes any issue, once and a while it does, often to very healthy indaviduals with no prior health history of significance. No one is to blame, other than just plain life. One of the premiers of Canada had it and lost his leg, it was very serious and he was lucky to be alive. It's just one of those things.
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Admiral

I'm sorry Delft, I guess maybe I didn't make myself clear enough.

I didn't say that a Hospital was the easiest place to contract Necrotising Fsciitis but rather Hospitals are one of the easiest places to contract an illness (simply of course, because they are full of viruses, bacteria, etc., etc.). Though they're making great strides in putting the brakes to such illness, nevertheless many many people die every year from illnesses they contracted in the hospital.

Todd
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRover
ewwwww.... nasty.
Flesh eating bacteria... swine flu... pirates... terrorists...
It's a wonder any of us ever leave our houses.

So true! All the propaganda we see and read-we should all be terrified of everything.

An acquaintance of ours contracted Mensa, but he was able to get well. He was in the hospital though, but no-he was not on a cruiseship. He had no idea how he picked up the bacteria.

You know what I found hilarius-was when I went to that link and read that article, up above it was advertising cruises. Too funny! They want to bad-mouth cruiselines but yet they accept advertising from them.
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Some things I noticed missing from the article. What part of the world is this man from? What cruiseline was he on? Was anyone else on this cruise impacted by this disease? What ports did the ship stop at? Is there an outbreak at any of those ports? What was the sailing date of this cruise? This story can not be verfied because it has no information. Wait it has the gentleman's name, Raymond Evans. Let me check that. This article seems more balanced in it's appoarch. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-12-hours.html
However, the cruise line and other details I was wondering about are still missing from the story. I'm guessing a lawsuit was filed. Raymond Evans was from England (I think). The article only says, "They were due back in Britain on March 5." Which leads me to believe they were english. The ship sailed out of Rome (Cittihevica (SP?)). They flew out Feb 22 and the ship stopped in Alexandria, Egypt. If I weren't more lazy I would try and found the sailing. I do feel bad for the widow, I can't imagine how horrible it would be to lose my husband that way.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994