Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Default What a rip off

Okay I was confused, it happens alot. I have a bag of Pop Secret Kettle corn the regular size. All I wanted to know was how many calories in the whole bag. The calorie thingy on the side of the box is so confusing. How many cups popped in a bag of popcorn. It doesn't tell you. So I used my friend the internet and I learned something I didn't know. There isn't anything special about the bag they use for microwave popcorn. You can make you own popcorn in the microwave for cheaper. They charge an arm and a leg for the "microwave" popcorn. The regular popcorn is much cheaper, plus it tastes better and you can control the calories. Turns out you can microwave a staple who knew. Here is the New York Times article. http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2008...us-the-ripoff/
BTW Pop Secret Kettle Corn for a whole regular bag is 480 cal 29 grams of fat. Here are some Microwave popcorn recipes so low in fat and one Caramel Popcorn recipe, because I love it.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Microwa...rn/Detail.aspx

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Sherry,

The New York Times is a registration-only site, so can you post the recipes here?

So how do I make microwave popcorn on my own? Do I take the corn and put it in a paper bag? As I understand it, the steam inside the bag is what actually pops the corn, so how do I make steam inside a paper bag?

Clueless in the kitchen!

Old May 12th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
Sherry,

The New York Times is a registration-only site, so can you post the recipes here?

So how do I make microwave popcorn on my own? Do I take the corn and put it in a paper bag? As I understand it, the steam inside the bag is what actually pops the corn, so how do I make steam inside a paper bag?

Clueless in the kitchen!
Well since I put a link to the article and didn't copy the article as my own. I don't think it's copywrite infringement. It is a link to the New York Times site and I don't have a subscription so I think it's all good. The three recipes are from Food Network and All recipes.

Here is the one from Alton Brown from the Food Network. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html You can leave off the jalapeno if you want. The staples seal the bag and allow the stream to build just like with the prepackage microwave popcorn. The staples do make me a little nervous so maybe I will just fold over the bag a couple of times like the other recipes suggest.

Quote:
Ingredients
1/4 cup good quality popcorn
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or popcorn salt
Sprinkle jalapeno seasoning mix
Paper lunch bag
Stapler
Directions
Toss the popcorn with the olive oil, salt, and jalapeno seasoning mix in the paper bag. Fold the top of the bag over and staple the bag twice to close. Place the bag in the microwave and microwave on high for 2 minutes to 3 minutes, or until there are about 5 seconds between pops.

NOTE: Popcorn salt is a super-fine salt that is designed especially for sticking to food such as popcorn. It has the taste of regular table salt, but its granules are much finer

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Sorry Sherry, everytime I see a link to NY Times, I have a knee-jerk reaction, because you have to register just to view an article.

However, in this case you don't!

Well, I'm going to try some of these recipes, and will let you know how they turn out.

Old May 13th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Sorry Sherry, everytime I see a link to NY Times, I have a knee-jerk reaction, because you have to register just to view an article.

Well, I'm going to try some of these recipes, and will let you know how they turn out.
No big wig about the NY times thing. I'm going to have to try these recipes to. I like spicy so I might go with Alton Brown's recipe.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: What a rip off

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Okay I was confused, it happens alot. I have a bag of Pop Secret Kettle corn the regular size. All I wanted to know was how many calories in the whole bag. The calorie thingy on the side of the box is so confusing. How many cups popped in a bag of popcorn. It doesn't tell you. So I used my friend the internet and I learned something I didn't know. There isn't anything special about the bag they use for microwave popcorn. You can make you own popcorn in the microwave for cheaper. They charge an arm and a leg for the "microwave" popcorn. The regular popcorn is much cheaper, plus it tastes better and you can control the calories. Turns out you can microwave a staple who knew. Here is the New York Times article. http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2008...us-the-ripoff/
BTW Pop Secret Kettle Corn for a whole regular bag is 480 cal 29 grams of fat. Here are some Microwave popcorn recipes so low in fat and one Caramel Popcorn recipe, because I love it.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
Kat:

On many products figuring out calorie and nutrition information can be like trying to read hieroglyphics without the Rosetta Stone. Often they are based on the entire contents of the product or based on a serving size that is ridiculously small, even for someone on a diet.

When it comes to why people use the pre-made microwave popcorn it is for convenience. I'm not a big popcorn lover so I rarely eat it.

There are many convenience foods that people use and end up paying for it in fat, calories and sodium. I haven't used a "canned soup" for cooking in years. I can whip up a mushroom, chicken or celery sauce almost as fast as opening and heating a can of the sodium laden, metallic tasting canned soup. Mine tastes better and basically contains mushrooms, cream, milk and herbs.

I do have one canned soup that I have a weakness for. Split pea with ham and bacon. I throw some dill and tarragon in it and love it. I can feel my arteries clog when I eat it and it has two days worth of sodium in it but it still is my "quick fix" when I want pea soup.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Admiral

What time should I come over for some soup?

Microwave popcorn is a little different, because (and maybe I an idiot for not realizing) I thought the bag was special and that I couldn't make my own popcorn in the microwave. I know how to make popcorn on the oven, however my oven is a little heavy to take to work.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:

A lot of the comment say to set the bag right side up not on it side. I guess that on the side the popcorn burns. I'm getting some popcorn today to test this.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Wow I didn't know this about store bought microwave popcorn.
The diacetyl in the artificial butter flavouring can causebronchiolitis obliterans, a disease that causes the smaller bronchi to be filled up with masses of fibrous tissue. Here are a couple of links to articles about this.http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007...ag_popcorn.phphttp://www.treehugger.com/files/2007...wave_popco.php

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:03 PM
First Mate

General rule is don't eat anything out of a box. Except cereal. Thanks for that information. I read all labels all the time and never buy anything with a label.
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Admiral

I tried the popcorn today it's tasty. I used 1/4 cup popcorn, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt. It has a nice clean taste and an Asian flair. I'm going to have fun playing with the flavors. I used one staple and I had no problems with the microwave.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

About a year ago I found a recipe for microwave Kettle Corn and never got around to using it. Maybe now i will try a few of those recipes you have so kindly posted. Thank you.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain