Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Default Monday, Memorial Day II

Yesterday I referred to as "Memorial Day" simply because that is when most folks celebrated it this year. Actually today is "Memorial Day" of course......except it ain't. The true Memorial Day (the day on which the Veteran's cemeteries and National cemeteries, not to mention the Military remember our ward dead) remains May 30th. It's one of those holidays that they hook up the day of celebration to the closest Monday so it can be a three day weekend. Is everyone thoroughly confused now?

I thought that today I'd be bleary eyed by watching automobile racing from around noon to midnight. Ended up going to bed around 9:30 though when they finally called the Charlotte race due to rain. They're set to roll off around Noon today so I guess I have another chance at my unopened bag of chips and my French Onion Dip.

Hope it's a wonderful day where you are, just overcast here this morning but no rain. Prayers for all of those on the list and Blessings upon everyone.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Captain

Good Morning Todd and all to follow

GOD BLESS Our Warriors , their memories, their families and the United States.

Irish 8)
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Well it is a windy overcast memorial day. Sobering weather for a somber day of reflection and appreciation for those who have served our military and lives lost.

Not much happening here today. I will probably get caught up on some household chores around here and then relax a little.

Coffee is brewing, d/s is awake. The other two are still in their beds sawing logs.

Spent most of yesterday outside. Finally finished the mulch and planted my purple rose of sharon hibiscus. I have been hunting high and low and finally found one. I hope it is as pretty as the one I have in the front yard.

The kids and I have been watching a robin's nest out on the back patio for quite a while. The eggs finally hatched a few days ago and it has been very educational for all of us to watch this very devoted mother and father robin care for their brood. We found that both parents care for the babies and take turns sitting the eggs and feeding them. I didn't know that Robins mate for life. With all the time we've been spending out there on the patio, there are lots of things going on with nature we never noticed before. Its all pretty awesome. We get a kick sitting back and watching all the babies open their beaks and wait for mom and dad to give them a refill. It must be exhausting because these little ones seem to eat constantly. I think they are used to us, since they don't seem to be put off at all by our presence.

Well I need to go get some laundry folded and put away. Hope you all have a great day.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good "Monday Holiday Bill" Memorial day.

I've never been a fan of moving the traditional days for Holidays in order to give folks a three day weekend but it could be worse and not be observed, period.

I hope everyone takes a moment or more to remember those that have given their lives in the preservation of our freedom and liberty.

Yesterday was a "reasonably" fun day. My Son-in-law gave me a fantastic pre-birthday present. Costco had five foot arborvitaes for $20. My neighbor bought some last year and they are thriving so we decided to buy some for a windbreak. The birthday present that my SIL gave me was planting the 20 trees for me. He hand dug the 20 holes and planted the trees. This is no small task to plant arborvitaes of this size. He worked for five hours. I smoked a pork shoulder so afterward we all had a good meal.

Today will be a visit to my Mom and Dad's grave site. It's a two hour trip so that will be the extent of the day.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest.............no rain in sight.....that's good..

Mike....we did the visit yesterday........too many things going on in them today........don't like the crowds.......

Yes....at least it IS celebrated.........

Y'all have a good day.........

Sharon
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Memorial day celebrated on Sunda aboard Minnow of the Seas

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Default Monday, Memorial Day II

Good morning from an overcast Southern California.

Andy Rooney made a good point last night on his closing remarks on "60 Minutes." He said that young men didn't give their lives. Their lives were taken. We had lunch at Norm's yesterday, and the very young waitress greeted is with "Happy Memorial Day." Weird! Just shows that most people, especially the young ones, don't know what Memorial Day is. It's just a day they don't have to work but still get paid.

Well, I'm showered and have done my arm execises, so now it's time for some breakfast.

Have a good day!

Judy
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Late posting today Mates -
Sunny but windy and pretty cold - we are too have a frost tonight - so much for getting your tomato plants out by Memorial Day!

I did not get to our town services today - but did watch on tv the ceremony at the National Cemetary and listened to some of the speakers.
I am for ever grateful for the many sacrifices made on my behalf to live here.

I did attend a graduation/going away party for my niece - now a Pharmacist and heading to San Diego - her boyfriend also just graduated as a Pharmacist - but also in the Navy - he will be stationed there. Now I think I may be looking at cruising from there with a nice visit with them on either end. It was hard to say good bye - all my children and nieces are leaving one by one. Love them so.

Got dh home yesterday - didn't actually make it personally to the Medical Center - ds and I had car trouble on the interstate on way down. Thankfully some people were at the hospital doing some visitation and they live right in the town we broke down in so they brought my husband too us, and by the time he got to us, ds and I had the car troubles remedied. It seems never ending. But I know that we will make it thru - God is faithful.

Tomorrow my father-in-law and my son and I will be opening up the pool - dh will supervise - o my! Will be so glad when that chore is done, as it is a real undertaking. I will be sure to take my meds before and after to keep the after effects to a minimum.

Judy - how is Keith feeling?
Praying for many of you. Todd - hope your race got underway so you could enjoy your chips and French Onion dip - my particular favorite duo!