Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:23 AM
First Mate

Default "We'll travel for miles in our Saturday smiles..."

...and that was the Sandpipers "Come Saturday Morning" to end the week here at WSID, your heartbreak radio station in central Connecticut.....

...and one of my favorite tunes.......

So, fellow CM-er's, hopefully you have a mug of coffee or tea in hand or nearby, and are getting prepared for a wonderful Saturday...the MIL will be coming over today, and we will have Italian sausage patties on the grill, with chees if requested, the potato salad Mrs. S made yesterday, and gelato with some type of Pepperidge Farm cookie....and of course a Dunkin' Donuts coffee, probably iced, beforehand...

...yesterday was dreary all day, but we did go for a short drive....found an obscure but wonderful ice cream place, not that far from us, and each had a scoop of home made peach ice cream...delicious....when we watch the kids for a few days next month, it will be a must...

....so, take another sip, finish the computer work, and go out a grab the day !

"...And then we'll move on But we will remember Long after Saturday's gone...."

...best wishes and continued prayers to all....

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Good mornin' Sid, and all my Mates to follow. You've got it nailed. I'm sitting here with my favorite schnauzer (Schroeder) on my lap, and a big mug of "Joe" by my right hand. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) is still in bed, watching the bedroom big screen, and drinking her first cup of coffee. Shortly, we'll venture out, probably catch breakfast at Bob Evans, then to Lowe's to get the LAST load of sod for our "doggie run" area. (I'll be so happy to have that chore done!)
Hope y'all have a GREAT day, and wonderful week end. Prayers to all who need them, and especially "Helen".

Ken
"SKY"
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates

I wanted to linger, a little longer, in bed, but my dog started pestering and at 6:13 I could take it no more...

On my second cup of coffee and just finished my breakfast of Cabot Greek Yogurt that I added strawberries and banana too. Very delish.
I don't like pre-sweetened yogurts - after I eat them I feel very ill - I have no idea why.

Will get dressed in a moment, then niece and I will hit some yard sales and farmers markets - this is your last chance to do this until the end of August when she returns from camp.

If weather holds off dh and I will be working on planting the planters and a few perennials that I have acquired as of late. I also need to get my hummingbird feeder up and filled.

I should do some inside work, but will only resort to that if the weather doesn't hold.

Sid and Ken - enjoy your day! Hope all our other Mates have plans as well.
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Great to see you both Sid and Ken this fine morning. I too am sitting here with my morning cup of coffee. Feeling kind of like I have a bad case of allergies. So I have taken my meds and am just waiting for it all to take effect. D/H is in the shower. He's getting ready to take his car in for an oil change, and go to his dentist appointment. Between those two appointments he needs to run to the mower shop and get the mower a new starter and spark plug wire, since I think it finally went kaput yesterday. It was only a matter of time, since the mice had been using that cable as a chew toy, when they were partying in the shed. By the way, the party is over!
Got a phone call from our favorite foot surgeon yesterday. I had a few more questions and concerns and he called me on his way to the airport as he was leaving town for the weekend. I was a little wary of finalizing plans for our October cruise before I talked to him. Our plan was to have d/s's reconstructive foot surgery done in mid-July as soon as baseball season ends here. I was worried that d/s might not be sufficiently recovered by the end of October when we leave on the cruise and the last thing I want is to drag the kid to timbuktu and him to be miserable or worse. The doc said it would be fine and he should feel no worse at that point than he does right now before the surgery. So plans for the cruse will proceed!
D/D is still sound asleep. I wish I could sleep like her. I could use a few days of restful slumbers.
I think today I may wait til d/h gets back home and we'll all pitch in and finsh cleaning up the house. it goes so much faster when we all work together.
Well that's our exciting weekend. The kids will likely be out in the pool having a fun time. I may join them once it gets nice and hot today. They had a great time out there last night. I am so glad we have it. Should really help to make this a fun, memorable summer.

Hope you all have a great weekend. Todd have fun, enjoy your cruise!!! I'll be thinking of you.

If anyone has heard from Delft, report in. Rollerdonna, do you have a way to touch base with her? Hope her and her Mom and Sister are OK.

Prayers to all in need, hang in there!

Old June 6th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Oops, looks like I posted at the same time as Sid!
Oh well, happy weekend everyone!

donna
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Captain

I've been up for a good while so I am on cup #3 of coffee. My d/d & sil came early to pick up our motorhome. They are heading to Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio to watch the big race tonight. Hope they have a good time and d/d is hoping to see Tony Stewart while there. He owns the track and is suppose to be there tonight.
We will be keeping their 5 yr old today so that means a t-ball game at noon, then home to clean up to head to Huntington, WV where d/h has a square dance to call tonight. SIL's mother is keeping the 1 yr old at their house but they will be coming to sissy's ball game.
My shoulder pain is still hanging around. The meds don't seem to be helping the pain just making me sleep. Sure hope the MRI next Weds. finds what the cause is and it can be fixed easily. I can dream can't I?
The sun is shinning and we are due for a nice weekend. D/H will be doing the mowing sometime today he doesn't want me trying to do it with this pain. He's so sweet, but I really enjoy mowing.
Everyone have a great day and prayers to those in need. Special prayers out for Helen and Ray hoping she is doing much better soon.

Sue

Old June 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Admiral

where does one purchase Cabot Greek Yogurt ? sounds good

good morning from New Orleans..serious monthly house cleaning today since it's the first saturday of the month..a tradition that our mother raised all 3 of her sons to carry out (hardwired into our male brains)
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Venice you can make it very easily. I have found it at Trader Joes too under the brand name Fage. Basically all you need is plain yogurt and drain the excess off of it. I take a coffee filter and put it inside of a colander. Put the yogurt inside of it and let it drain overnight in the fridge into a bowl under the colander. In the morning discard the liquid and voila! greek yogurt. It is much healthier than sour cream and I like it to make cucumber salad and basically the possibilities are endless. Its good stuff.

Old June 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Good morning fellow cruisemates from drizzly, Virginia Beach. Sid, I must say, you are dating yourself with the song, "Come Saturday Morning"; how well I remember that song in the movie that Liza Minelli starred as an insecure college student way back in my college days of the 1960's. How the world was so much simpler then! Not much is going on Virginia Beach. I did volunteer to work last night to pick up a few more hours; the Virginia Beach Boardwark Art Show runs during Father's Day weekend and I would love to pick up a nice piece of artwork for the house. Rob and I are going out to dinner with friends; it is always get to get a couple! May all my fellow cruisemates enjoy your day.
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Admiral

A late good morning/afternoon to everyone. I was an early "lurker" this morning but didn't have time to post as I was out the door immediately to take Fran to Johnson City.

Well, Fran has almost completed packing. She is going to make a list of what she packed for me to go over and make sure she didn't forget anything. I think in addition to being thoughtul, she's afraid I'd make an issue if she forgot something. We've been married far too long.

I too was thinking about Delph this morning and hoping things are okay. Hopefully, RD, you'll be able to contact her and let us know.

Have fun "cleaning house" Venice and glad you have help too B/W; Jen, I hope you get your runnin' all done.

Sid, I love the way you open up, but GOSH, your memories are akin to mine and I don't know about you, but they make me feel so darned OLD.

Todd
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM
First Mate

Folks,

Just to clarify, I turned 65 this past April, so yes, I am old...and (thankfully) getting older every minute....and I'm set to go to Old F**t school to learn how to behave and demand my senior discount when necessary....

It's funny, those of us born in the war years are not considered Baby Boomers...we're called something else, but danged if I can remember....

Remember the movie "American Graffiti?"...."Where were you in '62?"....I graduated high school in '62, so the movie hit home....I can remember knowing kids that were like those in the movie...maybe not exactly, but certainly possesed of a lot of the characteristics of those in the film.....if you ever want as good a cross section of oldies but goodies, give a listen to the sound track...41 great hits.....

But now I am "retired", not by choice, but by the fact that the job I was doing is now and has been since October, being done on the Asian sub-continent. I am not angry about it, although I wish I could have had a couple of more years...and maybe I will...who knows. Depends on if someone offers a position (I'm an IT guy), and how it impacts my SS benefit....but I am happy....it wasn't supposed to end this way, but it could have been worse....

But I managed to get here through all the good times and the not so good, and the Lord blessed me with Mrs S as my dear wife, so how can I complain? A cruise now and again, put on some oldies, and wallow in nostalgia....how can you beat it?

Old June 6th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Sid, you are more than 10 years older than me, yet I remember all the songs you have posted so far. I guess I am just an "Oldie" at heart!

donna
Old June 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Sid, it is always great to be reminded of the "oldies". I am sixty-one, and yes, I am a true, "baby boomer", who's parents waited to have children until after World War ll. Many of my friends' fathers were in the service at that time, fighting for a better world. It is because of the the "war" that my parents met!
Old June 6th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Yours truly is only three years behind you, Sid. That's my music as well of course. I recently heard on the radio that the Congress is considering a bill that would for all practicable purposes, wipe our music off the radio.

It seems that many of the labels are now owned by foreign corporations and they are requesting Congress to change the current law and require radio stations to pay exorbitant fees to play a lot of the music we so treasure. I have forgot the Bill number but it should be easy enough to find.

I learned this from a radio ad by the group of stations I often listen to in the Tri-Cities East Tennessee area. They say that many of stations will be forced to drop a music format and go to "All Talk" radio and sports.

They urge everyone to contact their congressmen.

Thought you'uns should know. The government is again attempting to cripple the cruise industry with ridiculous legislation and I guess the radio stations they're going after as well.

Todd
Old June 6th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Admiral

thanks BW...sounds too much like work so I'll just book a cruise to the Greek Islands and once I get there, order take out

Sid, know what you mean about " when your career track does not go as plan', but in the IT field you can always be a consultant..I'm sure you will be ok
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Venice - you can make it like BW - or buy it - Fage is one brand, but I love the one from a Vermont Company - Cabot...they make lots of nice Cheddars as well - and Cottage cheese.

It is rich and thick and delish. I use it like BW said in place of sour cream and for lots of other things - I am sort of addicted to it.
I also love a butter that Cabot makes - it is a European style and I will make the 100+ mile round trip to get it...yes - not very green of me to be sure.

Greek Yougurt has become quite popular - check your dairy case - I think you will never go back.
Old June 6th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Admiral

I do plan on going back to Santorini I will check out WalMart tomorrow after church and let you know
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Chobani Greek yogurt is is one that I am addicted too, and bought a couple tonight when we went food shopping...and there is one more,I will check on..jen is right, you won't go back, once you get hooked...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Your folk's discussion about yogurt reminds me of that routine by the late George Carlin during which he mentions the word, "yogurt" as only he could pronounce the word (which might be one reason why I can't make myself eat the stuff. or, it might be because it's too healthy and my body would rebel.

Todd