Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Default Carnival Freedom, Part 5

Carnival Freedom Part 5
Wednesday, May 27 09
Antigua

On this beautiful weather day in Antigua, we had 2 excursions booked, and we had to rush a bit to fit both of them in!
First thing in the morning, we met on the pier at 9 a.m. for our Sail, Snorkel and Beach excursion.

After a short walk, we boarded the sleek, new, Wadadli Cats catamaran, which was clean, well equipped, and the crew were friendly and funny.

We motored our way out from the port of Antigua, enjoying just basking in the sun and listening to Bob Marley, on this glorious sunny day.

After about 1/2 hour, we arrived at the snorkeling site, and everyone got in the water with their snorkel gear.

It was a difficult climb down a tiny ladder off the boat, so James stayed behind to film me.
I enjoy snorkeling, but I much prefer doing it off the beach where I can touch bottom.
We were way out in the middle of nowhere, and the waves were a bit choppy, and I was having trouble keeping up with the group, who were swimming further and further away from the boat. I started to panic, and couldn't breathe properly in my mask, so I swam back close to the boat and snorkeled a little bit there, seeing nothing but coral and seaweed, not a single fish!

Tired from paddling the waves, I climbed back on the boat long before our time was up, and just enjoyed the sun.

Once everyone was back onboard, the crew put up the sails, and we set sail for Dickenson Beach, about a 40 minute sail away.
Once at the beach, the catamaran was able to pull right up onto the beach, where we jumped off either into the water or onto the beach.
The water was lovely and warm, and we could see fish and the occasional stingray swimming around the boat.
It was also a nice spot for beachcombing, and I managed to collect some pretty and interesting shells.

Too soon, it was time to get back onboard, and we motored back to Antigua.
Since all the swimming and snorkeling was finished, the bar opened and the rum punch was flowing, everyone loosened up and the dancing began.
There was a conga line, and a limbo contest, great music and a lot of fun.

When we arrived back in Antigua, I'm sure everyone on the Freedom could hear us coming, with the party music and whooping and hollering going on!

Unfortunately, we had arrived back at the pier about 40 minutes later than we expected, and we had exactly 20 minutes to rush back to the ship, grab a quick bite to eat in the Lido restaurant, and be back on the pier for our 1 p.m. tour!

to be continued......a perfect afternoon in Antigua....

donna
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have never been to Antigua it looks like a wonderful port. You sure packed a lot of adventure into your day.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 12th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Admiral

Would love to visit Antigua some day...........!

Next!