CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   OPRAH TAKING ENTIRE STAFF ON THE NCL GEM (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/365510-oprah-taking-entire-staff-ncl-gem.html)

Parrot Mom June 21st, 2009 11:50 PM

OPRAH TAKING ENTIRE STAFF ON THE NCL GEM

Now that Oprah has chartered the NCL Gem for her entire staff to cruise the Med. in the next week or so all expenses paid including excursions.. I wonder what the average cruiser is thinking.. Oh yes.. I assume she will be in one of the special NCL Villas. Guess my choice of cruising the Gem Trans-atlantic isn't the worst idea..

earl June 22nd, 2009 02:05 AM

Lucky staff!!!

skymaster June 22nd, 2009 08:50 AM

I wonder if the entire staff had a "note" stuck under their seat? :shock:
Seriously, that would be a GREAT perk wouldn't it? I'll bet Obama will tax them on the retail value of the cruise......

Ken
"SKY"

Trip June 22nd, 2009 09:14 AM

A few years ago,she took them all, and their families to Hawaii. :D I wonder though, what happened to all the passengers who had booked this cruise?

Wouldn't it be great to work for Oprah!

venice June 22nd, 2009 09:18 AM

well if Steadman is not coming, maybe I could be her cabin mate :-P

Parrot Mom June 22nd, 2009 09:23 AM

WORKING FOR OPRAH

Read a story about a possible guest who had a problem and her staff was told to "make it happen".. and they did.. so I guess they work their butts off and deserve it. Not only the staff, but I assume a guest.. Many years ago a furniture store in Boston closed I think it was all three of their stores and flew all their employees to Bermuda for the day.. Never had that luck working for a non-profit myself

Mike M June 22nd, 2009 11:00 AM

Re: OPRAH TAKING ENTIRE STAFF ON THE NCL GEM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Now that Oprah has chartered the NCL Gem for her entire staff to cruise the Med. in the next week or so all expenses paid including excursions.. I wonder what the average cruiser is thinking.. Oh yes.. I assume she will be in one of the special NCL Villas. Guess my choice of cruising the Gem Trans-atlantic isn't the worst idea..

Nice bonus:

It probably won't be taxed. It will be just declared as a business training expense.

Take care,
Mike

WildRover June 22nd, 2009 04:31 PM

Parrot Mom -- I remember that! That was Jordan's Furniture and it was just a few years ago. Employees and spouses went to Bermuda for the day!! Nice perk!

Oprah should take her staff on a cruise -- she makes plenty of money.

But I recently read an article that said employees are grateful for even a pizza lunch. It boosts morale and employee satisfaction. Workers don't ask for much ---- just a slice of cheese pizza.

Parrot Mom June 22nd, 2009 04:43 PM

Jordans

Yes, it was.. just before they sold it to Warren Buffet. They took them and a guest to St. Catherines Beach in Bermuda. It shows what a little bit of kindness from an employer can do for morale.. Now they just bought the Jordan Marsh Xmas Exhibit..what a wonderful gesture.. it brings back many memories as a child

Trip June 22nd, 2009 04:44 PM

I too remember Jordans doing that.....what a nice day in paradise, on the boss's dime! Good for them!

They just bought the old Jordan Marsh's Enchanted Village, and since Jordans Furniture in Avon is a hop and a skip away, I will see it again, after 50 odd years! Smart move on their part!

Trip June 22nd, 2009 04:46 PM

GMTA LOL

Terri Ann June 22nd, 2009 05:03 PM

Oprah's cruise vacation was the talk of the town here in Rockford, Illinois. She sent the 1500 staff and family members to Spain in 5 chartered planes that left our airport last Saturday afternoon and evening. We are approximately 90-100 miles due west of Chicago. It was noted that Oprah did not join them at the airport as she was "leaving from a different destination." Of course she has her own personal jet. The director of the airport was so happy to provide customer service to all and it was a record number of passengers in our airport for one day.

Parrot Mom June 22nd, 2009 05:17 PM

ADDITIONAL

So, give or take there are 1500 Oprah employees on five planes.. Wonder how many and how are on her private plane..lol.(just being nosy)..Also, at this point at they are on the cruise ship.. Wonder if and how many people were cancelled from their cruise the same week and what compensation NCL gave them...

venice June 22nd, 2009 06:28 PM

I'm sure Oprah made arrangements for those passengers who had to change plans to make them whole plus some..or maybe tickets to her show around Christmas

She wanted me to go, but I had to turn her down due to not wanting to miss Father's Day with my son and grandson :roll: :roll:

Terri Ann June 22nd, 2009 06:35 PM

Venice, LOL. I am sure she will make it up to you. :)

venice June 22nd, 2009 07:00 PM

Teri Ann..well, I have :-P hinted :-P to her that if she really wanted to get back in my good graces she could charter the 2011 Smooth Jazz Cruise on the Noordam so I could take all of my CruiseMate friends :shock: :shock: she said she would have to clear it with Steadman and Gayle and I told her we needed to give each other "space"

what a great team building idea on her part..that's probably why you never hear any of her former staff write a tell all book (that plus they sign a non disclosure agreement0