Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default R.I.P Michael Jackson

Love him or hate him, he was a talented, albeit tortured man.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: R.I.P Michael Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Did he die? The last I heard they rushed him to the hosptial when he was found not breathing, which is a very bad sign. But I haven't hear if they got him breathing again.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090625/...hael_jackson_1

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM
First Mate

Trip,
Your messsage was the first that I had heard of this. We had been gone this afternoon for an appointment. I wasn't a big Jackson fan, but he certainly was a voice in the music industry. I feel for those three kids who have had a life far from normal. Thanks for sharing.

jo jo
Old June 25th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Admiral

It was reported that he died at 3:15 P.M. Pacific time. I seriously doubt that he was ever revived from the time he was picked up at his home just after noon. There has already been a lot of speculation about the "cause of death". I suppose we'll know eventually. As Trip stated, love him or hate him, he will be missed. R.I.P. Michael.

Ken
"SKY"
Old June 25th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Gosh, what a shock today, two major icons passing. I happened to love him, very talented, but troubled man, he also will be missed. Just a shame since he was working on a come-back tour, so sad.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Admiral

saw him perform live in LAX in the early 80's...incredible performer
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: R.I.P Michael Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Did he die? The last I heard they rushed him to the hosptial when he was found not breathing, which is a very bad sign. But I haven't hear if they got him breathing again.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090625/...hael_jackson_1
Okay now it's official, he was a talented performer. Today is a bad day to be a celebrity. It's shocking having these two deaths. Michael Jackson's death comes out of the blue. I wasn't aware he had heart trouble. I prefer to remember Michaeal Jackson like this video below. I hope he is now at peace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyJbIOZjS8

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Such a great singer.
beat it, she's out of my life, the wall, so many great songs.
I always felt sadness for him. I dont think that he was ever happy, the poor man. Being so alone in such a big world, where everyone knew who he was. No privacy. But he did give us so many happy memories and so many great songs. Thank you Michael.......
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Admiral

I'm so sad of the passing of Michael Jackson. The king of pop dies at 50.

I was driving when the news came on the radio I had to pull over.

Grew up listening to and dancing to Michael's music and still do.

Thanks for posting the thriller video Kat. The #1 selling album of all time.

He will be missed.

He gave the world some excellent music.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Admiral

I prefer to remember the REAL Michael Jackson, the incredibly talented little black boy who could belt out songs like ABC with all his brothers.
What he became in later life was frightening, God rest his tortured soul.....

donna
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Default R.I.P. Michael Jackson

I have no real feelings about Michael Jackson's death except surprise. He was tremendously talented, achieved fame and fortune. I don't think he was tortured. If newspaper reports are true, he did the torturing.

Judy
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
I prefer to remember the REAL Michael Jackson, the incredibly talented little black boy who could belt out songs like ABC with all his brothers.
What he became in later life was frightening, God rest his tortured soul.....

donna
This one is for you RD.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Admiral

He well be miss!!
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Admiral

I think it interesting that the Physician that was evidently in attendance at Jackson's death, was reportedly performing CPR on him while Jackson lay on a bed. I think it would be an accurate statement as it was made on the original 911 call. Any EMT or even any individual who has successfully completed a CPR course, knows you NEVER perform CPR on a bed. But a Physician doing such a thing is absolutely unbelieveable. Just because you're famous doesn't prevent you from getting a duck in an emergency.

Todd
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Admiral

Todd..you are right and you could hear it in the voice of the dispatcher

dusted off my turntable tonight, got out the Thiller album and cranked up the volume....what a talent
8) 8) 8)
- he was the world's first major cross over artist
- changed the way music videos are made and forced MTV to start playing videos made by African American artist
-multi generational hits

media focused on the negative (of course), but everyone should take a moment and play your favorite Michael Jackson song and remember his talent and the enjoyment that your favorite song brought to you

I feel for his mother and his children
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Admiral

RollerDonna - When the name Michael Jackson ever comes up my mind instantly goes back to the earliest of days - ABC - Never Can Say Good Bye - I Want You Back - I'll Be There - Ben....and on and on
He truly was filled with talent and creativity beyond imagination - if you look thru history - those that are incredibly artistically gifted often were also very "tortured".

Sad indeed.
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Admiral

The local radio station is playing nothing but Michael Jackson all weekend long. I'm loving it! Songs are coming on and I say OMG I forgot about that song and how great it is. I enjoyed hearing Say Say Say with Sir Paul McCartney.

MJ has inspired so many people through his music and dance.

The Thriller dance is done in so many places like Prisons, Stadiums and Weddings just to name a few. 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Venice,

I don't know what definition you're using when you say ".... the first cross over artist."

He was undoubtedly the most popular of his genre` but he was always what I still call a "pop" singer.

The first truly cross over artist (meaning a Black man crossing over to a completely foreign type of music normally culturally associated with the Black musical culture, while of course nowhere near as popular but who was nevertheless one who remains one of the more popular of all of his musical style, was country artist, Charlie Pride. Pride was a hugely popular country singer but was so before most Black artists were ever publicly accepted by the many in the white southern population as regards any type of music. Matter of fact, you won't find his picture on an album cover early in his career because the "powers that be" were afraid his color would destroy his career and he was already becoming very popular via the radio. Turned out, they didn't give the average southerner enough credit. Even when people learned he was Black, his popularity only kept growing.

Last I heard, Charlie, an outstanding supporter of many charities and pillar of the community in which he lives, was worth far more than even some of the most famous pop artists from the 60's and 70's (much of which he made AFTER his music career). He is also, one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

And no, there was NEVER even a hint of any scandal ever associated with him, much less the level of absolutely horrific charges levied against Michael Jackson. Matter of fact, Charlie Pride remains, albeit quietly, a man of true faith.

Todd
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Banned
Captain

Like his sister sang "What have you done for me lately?"
I think it was apropos that he decided to check out. He was becoming a creepy old man.
Old June 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Admiral

A Quote from Beyonce Knowles:

"The incomparable Michael Jackson has made a bigger impact on music than any other artist in the history of music."

As stated by the Staten Island Advance: "Singer Beyonce Knowles revelaing her limited knowledge of music history."

That, is putting it extremely mildly and is yet another stunning example that a singer today need have no education, formal or otherwise, to be a "hit."

Todd
Old June 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Todd, my friend, help me out here..I do know alittle bit about Charlie Pride (was a pretty good baseball player), but he was always considered a country music singer, and thus his albums were not both number 1 in both pop and soul at the same time (but a case could be made for Ray Charles who had a # 1 country album but not at the same time having a #1 soul album) and during Charlie's heyday, I don't think he did to many sell out performances at the Apollo Theatre in New York

Michael's album "Thriller" was a monster and in a quirk due to his persona, Michael did soul/pop/rock and drew massive fan appeal of all colors...thus that is why he is considered by musical folks who know this stuff, the first and greatest major (international in fact), cross over artist

heck Al Jolsen could have been the Charlie Pride of his era remember I'm living in the neck of the woods that gave the world Jerry Lee Lewis

IMHO, Beyonce is not that far off..all weekend radio stations are playing the breath of Michael's work since he started singing with the Jackson 5 at age 5 and his span of 5 decades (considering he hasn't performed in public in almost 10 years if not more) and i don't know of any artist who's body of work can match his

but we always have to be careful in comparing musicians or athletes of different generations in terms of impact..Country Music when Charlie Pride was in his prime did not have as wide appeal popular as it is today, nor were there the various distribution outlets for an artist that there are today

ps...I have two Charlie Pride album covers on my wall, 2 ray charles and 3 of michael's

Todd, thanks for your lively thoughtful postings and I like it that I am healthy enough now to keep up with you...you need to come visit New Orleans my friends and we will go listen to some real cross over artist playing Zydeco (which I love)
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Michael Jackson was a real music icon who had a very tortured life. After listening to the interview with Wolf Blitzer, when he talked to Deepak Chopra, I realized just how said a life Michael Jackson really had! Michael leaves behind not only his wonderfulf music, but most of all three young children who loved their father, dearly
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Gosh Venice, I'm really so glad you're back to your own self and we can have some fun!

RE: Beyonce's remark. "......in the HISTORY OF MUSIC????!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know what you meant by "crossover." Charlie Pride didn't play the Apollo because he didn't sing "black" music. I would call a Black artist who sang country music a heck of a crossover, wouldn't you?

P.S. I'm undoubtedly showing my ignorance, but I've never heard of Zydeco. Is that a new insurance company?

Todd
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Admiral

Todd..I love you my friend Zydeco is so popular they actually have Zydeco theme cruises that sell out very quickly..since I am "technically' challenged I'm sure one of our friends (hint Kat or CQ) will post a YouTube video of some Zydeco Bands

my definition of crossover would be a musical artist that cannot be defined either by race or musical style and is popular with all fans of music...Michael might have started out with the Jackson Five as a Motown group (remember the big media hype Jackson 5 vs Osmonds)..but when he grew up and became unique he superceeded the barriers

one of my favorite experiences a few years back at the Essence Festival here in New Orleans during the evening they have major performances but during the day they have enrichment seminars..one seminar was about music and featured "The Funk Brothers" which was the house band for the great Motown Acts of the 60's...The majority of "The Funk Brothers" were white musicians and they spoke about how surprise fans of all colors were when they found that out

music is one topic that binds all of us..and yes, it's good to be posting again..I agree, Beyonce might study up on her musical history, she will be in town next week at Essence, and I will be there and offer her my expertise in exchange for a picture with her
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Michael Jackson may well have been and possibly still is, the greatest act in showbusiness. My only complaint is not with the adulation afforded the man at his death as this has happened before when a huge star died, ie: Valentino, Presley, etc., but rather with Beyonce's statement.

She might have meant Jackson was the best ENTERTAINER who ever lived and I wouldn't begin to argue that as it is so subjective. What not only The Staten Island Advance and undoubtedly millions of others would take issue was her coment that he was "primo" in the HISTORY of music. Yes he may well have been The King of Pop but that he "made a larger impact on music than any artist in the history of music," obviously is preposterous, as I'm sure the overwhelming number of experts with THOROUGH education in all types of music would undoubtedly agree. I don't believe he had more on music than did Elvis Presley but again, that is my opinion. In any rate all of this will have undoubtedly changed in fifty years.

Todd
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
(hint Kat or CQ) will post a YouTube video of some Zydeco Bands
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Admiral

CQ..thanks for having my back

when you come visit New Orleans I'll take you to a Salsa Club in the lower 9th ward and then we will take a ride out to the Bayou and go to a Zydeco Festival..and eat some crawfish...and have some alligator pie..and then we will find a second line so you can dance in the streets of New Orleans with the 8) 8) cool 8) 8) folks

you do have crawfish in Jersey right ?
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Venice, you really need to come to Montreal for our yearly Jazz Festival (about to get underway right now!) There are hundreds of Jazz artists from the pure to the bizarre, including Ragtime Bands and Zydeco, which is popular here because it is so similar to Quebecois music.
The best part of it is the free outdoor concerts throughout the festival, especially the BIG BLOWOUT show that attracts thousands of fans on a sultry summer night.
Open invitation, anytime!

donna

p.s. Katlady, thanks for posting those videos, loved the Filipino inmates!
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
CQ..thanks for having my back

when you come visit New Orleans I'll take you to a Salsa Club in the lower 9th ward and then we will take a ride out to the Bayou and go to a Zydeco Festival..and eat some crawfish...and have some alligator pie..and then we will find a second line so you can dance in the streets of New Orleans with the 8) 8) cool 8) 8) folks

you do have crawfish in Jersey right ?
Never had crawfish!

Alligator Pie

I had to google Alligator Pie I never heard of it before.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
I'm so sad of the passing of Michael Jackson. The king of pop dies at 50.

I was driving when the news came on the radio I had to pull over.

Grew up listening to and dancing to Michael's music and still do.

Thanks for posting the thriller video Kat. The #1 selling album of all time.

He will be missed.

He gave the world some excellent music.
CQ:
I am also a huge fan of his. So incredibility sad. I could sit and watch him dance for hours. His dance moves and voice can NEVER be replaced.

My regret is that I never had the oppertunity to see him in person.

I have many of his CD's that I am very proud to play.

He will be missed and I don't care who thinks otherwise.

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE