Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Specifically, what about Oasis turns you off?

OK, I have seen both sides of this issue but I have seen a lot of people saying is they won't even think about getting on Oasis of the Seas.

I totally admit I have the other view, I think it is going to be a huge success, and not just because it is a flash in the pan sensation.

But for those of you who already believe they wouldn't be caught dead on Oasis, let me ask you what the first thing is that comes to your mind that turns you off about the concept of this ship?

And please try to be specific or give examples beyond "it's just too big."
I say "so what" that doesn't means its crowded. I think it means there is more to do every hour of the day.
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Admiral

Paul,

John Masefield said it best when he wrote:

And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by...

Old June 27th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Did you have to Google who said that? (who's John Masefield?)
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Admiral

Mean Dean has a photographic memory ..he does not need to google

Paul...I think it's sort of natural as folks get older we are less incline to try something new..if the first reviews come back positive, those of us that are dedicated cruisers will try the ship because we would not want to miss out (of course a CM group cruise with reduced rates will have the same effect)

personally, I am gearing to trying out the Epic before the Oasis
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Boy, do I have memeories of learning that poem in elementary school!

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and and the sky, and all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by...but I digress

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 27th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Believe it or not there was knowledge before Google.

Why I have no desire to sail Oasis:

The mega-ship concept goes against why I cruise. I do not care for Royal Promenades that give me the opportunity to shop at twelve different designer shops or give eight bars to sit at. I could care less for daily parades.

Growing grass on a ship is "cute" but is more of gimmick than a real asset to a cruise.

Ice shows are nice once but not something I go out of my way to see. If I want to skate I can do that anytime I want. For six months out of the year I can do it 100ft from my front door.

The only mega-ship experience I have had was on Voyager and the Royal Promenade felt crowded and I believe it would be similar.

I am not a fan of malls. I go to them, get what I need and leave. It is not a "destination experience" for me. Mega-ships are like mega-malls.

When I am on ship, I want to be on a ship and not a floating hotel. I want to feel the movement of the ship and not have people freaked out when the ship actually "moves". Give me a teak deck, a pool to lounge by, a few bars and lounges, good restaurants, a venue to watch a comic or a singer, some interesting and mentally stimulating activities and a relatively spacious cabin. Most of all let me see the sea and the world outside.

I cruise mostly for the ports and the ship, while important, is not my primary destination. It's where it can take me that makes cruising my type of vacation. If I want the non-stop entertainment and a faux theme park atmosphere, I'll go to Vegas.

I won't say that I would "never" sail on a mega-ship, such as Oasis, but I would need to cruise with others who would enjoy such an environment. For my wife and I it wouldn't be a consideration unless it was a fantastic itinerary at a great price.

That's basically it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Admiral

I have to agree with almost all that Mike M has said. The only real difference is that we book inside cabins as we don't need something very big since we aren't on the ship to spend time in the cabin. And I had a real hard time going on the balcony the one time we had one. I have a very big fear of falling, oh I know I can't just fall off the ship but that doesn't make any difference.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Banned
Captain

Aside from the rip-off cost to book a cabin on this ship, nothing at all bothers me about Oasis, or Allure.
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Specifically, what about Oasis turns you off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
"it's just too big."
Paul that is the point.. anytime you have a ship that will hold that number of people and in order to get things done (shore excursions embarkation disembarkation meals).. in order to pull this off seamingly without a hitch you will have to herd the people.. I am sorry Paul we are one couple that just is not into being trown into a herd....not just yet..
In answer to your question I am sorry but for us ...it is "just too big"
IMHO
Old June 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Admiral

I'm with Mike, for all his reasons, but mostly, I believe that a ship holding that many passengers and crew is just too big; not that it will feel crowded, but the logistics of embarkation, disembarkation, shore excursions, dining room lineups, etc. would be just too frustrating in my opinion.

On the other hand, if we were to plan a CM group cruise, with a good deal on pricing, I might consider it, just to prove myself wrong!

donna
Old June 27th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Captain

The same reason that the only time I will only cruise NCL EPIC on the transatlantic - their respective itineraries. Are they going to sell a TA for the Oasis ?

Just think every other Friday Epic and Oasis in Nassau adding 10,000+ passengers to the usual crowd. Same holds true for every other Thur. in Cozumel. One or the other should slip their itinerary a week so they are alternating e/w why go head to head.

I will make sure I avoid those ports on those days what ever cruise I book.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old June 27th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna

On the other hand, if we were to plan a CM group cruise, with a good deal on pricing, I might consider it, just to prove myself wrong!

donna
Donna that is where we differ.. they could offer us a free cruise and we would decline.. now if the group cruise is in a smaller ship i too would consider it... if the price is right....
Old June 27th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Admiral

I suspect if one did a profile of those of us that have responded to this post we are all over 35 (ok RD is 34 & CQ is 23) ...I bet the under 35 CM posters would respond in a more favorable mode about trying either the Oasis and or Epic..and remember cruise lines are thinking about capturing that 25-35 niche and holding on to them until them get to Mike and my age

for the record, Mike I am with you..that's why I like HAL (that plus HAL does most of my charter smooth jazz cruises)
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Default Specifically, What about the Oasis Turns You Off?

Paul, please go back and read Mike's post. Then add to it the fact that to get anywhere on the Oasis, one must walk, walk, walk, and walk some more! Now I say that not knowing about the design of the ship. But I have read (and experienced) where people have complained that they cannot get easily from one end of the ship to the other. And those were smaller ships! Further, it is difficult to believe that crowds wouldn't be a problem, especially lines for serve-yourself meals.

Anyway, it's just too big!

Judy
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Admiral

when Boeing introduced the 747, when you entered the plane, you could not see straight back (it curves) and everyone said it was too big but after awhile everyone adjusted..maybe it will be the same with the Oasis

I'm of the school give it a try..it's big enough that Paul could charter the whole ship for a CM group cruise and we can have this debate onboard 8) 8)
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Banned
Captain

"it's big enough that Paul could charter the whole ship for a CM group cruise "

Only if Paul picks up the tab. Then I'll be his very bestest pal.
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks for the replies.

Remember I understand what you are all saying so I an mot disagreeing with you.

I may not be my first choice, either, but I am also older and kidless.

We HAVE looked into a grroup cruise on it, and wwe will probably do one towards the end on 2010. The rates are actually still pretty high, so someone must be excited about it.

All I have to say to people who may take other large ships but are skeptical about this one is that I have personally seen the progression from Voyager to Freedom and now to Oasis, and while I think Freedom was a very worthwhile improvement over Voyager, I personally think Oasis is going to far outdo Freedom

Freedom is too big for many people - but I believe Oasis will feel more organic in design that Freedom does. Its part will meld togeher
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Venice, I'm flattered that you think I'm only 34, but in reality, you're 20 years off!
As Judy said also, too much walking, but then I walk for fun in the Walk for the Cure walkathons!

Paul, having just been on the Freedom, I didn't find it so big, as I found it extremely claustrophobic. From the mix and mis-matched patterns and colours, to the odd placement of pillars in the middle of throughways everywhere, it was annoying trying to get anywhere in the crowds!

donna
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Paul, the only concern I have is the number of passengers, not necessarily the size of the ship.

That being said, I have a B2B booked for Apr 2010. And I'm over 50! I just want to see for myself. The first week I will be learning the lay of the ship and the ins/outs. The 2nd week I will slow down and enjoy those features that I like best! After that I will decide how I feel about it.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tennille
Aside from the rip-off cost to book a cabin on this ship, nothing at all bothers me about Oasis, or Allure.
I feel you do. There two reasons I didn't book Oasis. One is I can get the a cabin on the Carnival Splendor for $509 per person; the same cabin on Oasis is $1,199. So I could cruise twice on the Splendor for the Oasis price. second reason is Royal hasn't introduced any new ships out of California, so in order to cruise Oasis I have to fly to Flordia. I can drive to LA and cruise the Splendor. So price and convenience are the reasons I don't cruise Oasis. Other than that the big the ship the better.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Admiral

What bothers me about the Oasis is that I have to wait till april to sail on her.
i am still young enough to handle a big ship. When I get to feel old I can aliways go gack to the Mercury or the Century.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Admiral

I don't see how there will be more to do every day just cause it's big ... can you imagine the lines just to do the regular ship things, let alone new ones they create. With 5,000 people, I have to think it will definitely be crowded.

I'm with Mike's viewpoint.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
can you imagine the lines just to do the regular ship things
That statement has been used over and over again, for 20 years now. I believe it started with RCI's Sovereign-Class of cruise ships, topping over (OMG) 70k tons. They'll manage. They want you back.
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Admiral

RD...so you are 14 so you are the female version of that Brad Pitt movie that reverses the aging process
Old June 28th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Admiral

On the larger ships there are more people, but there is also space. I felt more crowded on the Carnival Liberty than I did on the Liberty OTS.
There are so many things to do on lareger ships that passengers are not crowded in one particular place.
I am sure that they will handle all the issues on the Oasis as well as any other ships.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
What bothers me about the Oasis is that I have to wait till april to sail on her.
TM

TM at least you are booked I'm not booked yet! But will be on Oasis sometime in 2010.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
CQ is 23

Ok Venice so I may not be 23 or look 23 but I sure do feel like I'm 23! 8) 8)

Oasis will have a Jazz lounge along with many other dancing options. 8)

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Admiral

CQ...but you do look 23 and yes I know about the Jazz club planned on the Oasis but I am more intrigue about the Jazz club on the Epic

I think folks don't give the ship planners enough credit...the recognized experts of crowd control are the Disney folks and i am sure RCI planners spent alot of time with them in the planning process..

the ship is laid out, plus the activities and dining venues are planned which are designed to "off peak" traffic flow, so even if there are 5000 folks onboard they will not be "bunched"...I bet they even figure out a better way how to spread the boarding and deboarding process..the classic example of this is how airlines do shuttle flights in high density markets..all windows board first, middle seats next, aisle last

have faith in the process..if you build it, cruisers will come
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
Paul, having just been on the Freedom, I didn't find it so big, as I found it extremely claustrophobic. From the mix and mis-matched patterns and colours, to the odd placement of pillars in the middle of throughways everywhere, it was annoying trying to get anywhere in the crowds!

donna
Donna:

You were on the "Carnival Freedom". The comparisons that Paul and others are making are to the Royal Caribbean ship, "Freedom of the Seas".

I wish cruise lines could be a little more original in their names.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Admiral

I too agree with 99% of Mikes post. The last time I sailed "Mariner o.t. Seas", we couldn't even find an elevator that wasn't full! Thanks, but no thanks, I'll pass! Also, the post that noted we can do two "other" cruises for the price of one aboard Oasis o.t. Seas is dead on. Why be miserable on one cruise, when I can have a GREAT time on two cruises for the same money? It's a "no brainer" for me.

Ken
"SKY"