Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Admiral

Default Sunday serenity

Well in a few hours we'll be heading south toward home. WE've had a nice but short visit here with the inlaws. we would have stayed outside for the fireworks and such but the mosquitoes simply overwhelmed us and we all took refuge indoors, SIL's house is right on Lake Huron and has the most beautiful views but the little blood suckers are everywhere at dusk.

There has been a move here in Canada to eliminate pesticides and as a result the bugs are large and in charge.

I have a feeling there could be a huge market here for black market Raid .

The kids have had a blast. All in all, it was a great visit!

Hope you all have a great Sunday!

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Admiral

Good Morning every one! Hope every one had a good 4th of July. Beenie, safe travels home.

Re: ban on pesticides, we have had that where I live for several years now. It is a ban against indiscriminate use of pestacides to especially treating weeds etc. It does not cover banning for things like mosquitoos which are public health issues. Those things can still be used, although it is not used to the degree it was before where they used to fog all of the time when I was a kid. ( and we still had bugs!)

At first I was not sure about the ban, how it would work, and the first couple of years bugs like white worm just masacured everything in site, BUT now we have learned ways to cope naturally and this year my garden and lawn are better than ever and while I do have to spend more time working on it, I am pleased not to have the pesticides applied any more. Should you have a problem, and you have tried everything the city recomends you will be given a permit to get pesticides, but what I did last year actually worked and I dont need one any more.

I still cannot believe it is July, before we know it, dare I say it.....it will be time for Christmas!

Bye for now!
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Good afternoon from Brussels. Just a relaxing Sunday enjoying a break in the heat wave. Temps today only up to 25 or 26 with some showers later.

We had a neat experience today; an organ grinder made his way up our street. He played his music, sang along, and gladly accepted tips thrown down from apartment windows. I guess there is a good reason there are no screens on the windows.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday and a great week.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Captain

Good Morning All

Yes it is Sunday and the last day of a 3 day weekend. It has been great got a lot of my Honey-Do projects completed.

Well I have to get ready for Mass, have a great day.

Irish 8)

A sunbeam to warm you,
A moonbeam to charm you,
A sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you.
~Irish Blessing
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Captain

It is a rainy & dreary day here. I have put a post out for prayers for a local family who is having a real rough time right now so I am a little on the down side today. It's hard to hear about a young family torn by illness like they are. You can read the details on the post.

I will spend the day catching up on things that didn't get done while we had our yard sale, which was a big success. It was a fun 2 days with my daughter, grandaughters, sister and nieces.

I will keep a watch on Wimbleton to see who becomes this years winner. My daughter played tennis all through grade school, high school and then on a scholarship in college, so we enjoy keeping up with the pros.

BW you have a safe trip home and glad you had a good visit.

A good day to all my fellow mates.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Good morning all!

A thunderstorm filled day is on tap for this area as well with the possibility of raing at 80%. I can't complain, however, as we've had beautiful sunshine since our return. While we got over 6 inches of rain during our absence and everything is beautifully green and growing (including, of course the weeds :evil: ) we still are somewhat below normal in annual rainfall and we need lots more to truly water the earth beneath the topsoil level. Therefore I'm not complaining.

Gosh, I'm sorry we weren't out on Long Island yesterday with Leyla, our "Granny-of-the-Seas." What an outstanding menu and I rest assure of two things; nobody went home hungry and y'all had a grand time!

Safe trip to you B/W. Let us know when you get home safe and sound.

Prayers continue for all on the list and Blessings upon everyone this Sunday morn.

Todd
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

A good time was had by all at our "Lobster Pig-Out". We ended up ordering 40 instead of 30, so we have 4 left for today so I can make lobster salad and have a Maine Lobster Roll for dinner (back at our club on the bay).

Sun is shining for 2 days in a row, so we finally are feeling like the summer has begun.

Busy week ahead. Babysitting the granddaughters as they have given my daughter extra hours at work because they are short one employee due to her breaking her arm. Will be taking them for swim lessons and then see what the remainder of the day has to offer. Off to one of my most favorite places here in New York - The Department of Motor Vehicles to renew my drivers license. What a fun place to wait for your turn to be served.

Enjoy the rest of this holiday weekend.

Leyla from Long Island
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Default Sunday Serenity

Good morning from Southern California.

Another sun-filled day begins, although I don't know what it will hold. Something pleasant, I hope. We had a nice time in Newport Beach enjoying their 77-degree temps. Lunch was good, then we sat outside and people and dog watched.

This will be a quiet day. Tomorrow I will have passed the half-way mark for my radiation therapy. Keith continues with his post-op dr.'s appts.

Have a nice day!

Judy