Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Default The Dawn of a Wednesday Morn

And a fantastic Hump day to all my fellow cruisemates and all the ships at sea!

I turn over the reigns of the leadership of our Humane Society today and I'm heaving a great sigh of relief. I would be lying were I not to say I wasn't proud of the success we've enjoyed during my five year tenure. Of course we'd even have so much more than that were the Recession not to have struck and our investment portfolio took a heall of a nosedive.

Before the Recession took so much, our treasury and investments far more than doubled so I'm still leaving (after adjusting for our investment losses) with an increase of over two hundred grand over our account balances when I took office and this isn't even counting the funding of our 230 grand (including equipment) spay/neuter surgical addition. When one steps back and looks, that's a pretty good growth rate to be in a county with a total population of only around 60 thousand which btw, is one of the largest of counties area wise in the state.

Actually, I'm just thankful we didn't go down the tubes!

Hope everyone safely get's over today's "hump" as the weekend will become by days end, a bright light at the end of this week's long tunnel of work. Prayers for all those on the list and Blessing for all.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Todd, congratulations on a job well done! I think you've earned a little R&R! I think of all the furry little lives that have been saved because of all your hard work.

Had an exciting time yesterday. Went out to skim the pool. I had left my float out there and so I flipped it over and there was a bat with its claws stuck in the fabric mesh. so I pulled the whole thing out of the pool and laid it on the ground and got the neighbor to come out and help me dispose of the body (I am pretty sure it was dead, but was not up to taking its pulse, creepy)

Went to d/d's softball award banquet. It was very nice. All the kids went swimming afterward. I think that they did a great job. D/D was so proud of her trophy.

I am thrilled that I have absolutely nothing on the agenda for today. I don't have even one thing on my calendar yipee! The weather is not too great, but that's fine. I don't mind doing laundry and cleaning house on yucky days. On sunny days it makes me feel like a prisoner, because I'd much rather be outside.

I hope you all have a great hump day. Looking forward to reading all of your posts!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Good Morning every one from yet another dark and gloomy day. Todd, Its a great acomplishement and Beannie....ICK! Enjoy your slower paced day. Unfortunately things get added to my calander daily......Palliative care appointment went well for my mother yesterday. She was obviously anxious, and I feel badly for her. At the office as always petty little troubles, always involving the same person. Now she wants the secretary fired because she slammed the door behind her. She actually didn't , a window was open, and the air created a vaccume and the door slammed, happens all of the time. I dealt with it by telling the old bat in question quite franly I dont care if the door was slammed and if it was, it was well deserved and I am tired of interveining like it is a kindergarten class. Its not the responce she expected! Have a great day every one.
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Another bloody sad summer day in this corner of the world! One bright spot looks like the Cape, Sunday, and the weather looks good.

Todd, your contribution, is a gold star on the record of your life, one of many I am sure. Walk away with a smile, a job well done.

I need to take my dil to the Drs, and run to the library, then home again, home again, jiggity jig....

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from Montreal, where it is yet another dull, dreary, cold non-summer day, with thunderstorms in the forecast.
Between the weather and the full moon, it has been an interesting week stuck inside with the kiddies.....

Today will be busy; after work I have Pilates, which I have missed for 2 weeks due to the holidays being on Wednesdays. Doesn't take long to get out of shape!
Immediately after that, we are going out for a late dinner, to meet up with hubby's daughter who is visiting from abroad, and only has enough time in her schedule for dinner tonight with us!
Actually, she's supposed to visit here at home this afternoon, but I will be at work of course, but at least her dad will get to see her.

Anyway, better get moving...I swear it is getting darker by the minute!

donna
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates,

Like Delft, Trip and RollerDonna - gloomy here as well - tho' by tomorrow late afternoon I hear we may see a little sun and Friday is looking promising!

Yesterday was up early for prayer at church - Tuesday morns at 7 - then worked until about noon-thirty. Came home and watched the Memorial Service for MJ - it left me a little depressed and I found it difficult to actually do anything for the rest of the day. I still feel a little down about it...

Up early - had the scanner on and heard the news that an childhood neighbor had to be taken to hospital for an o.d. - she was special needs - tho we knew she was different growing up, us neighborhood kids tried to include her as much as she was allowed to. I see her infrequently around town and we always have a pleasant conversation - so that was a sad way to start the day. Then after I walked dog and tended the birdfeeders came back in to hear an elderly lady from our church was being taken to the hospital - she suffers from dementia and her equally elderly husband - who is very frail (while she is quite "robust") tries to take care of her - it is quite a sad situation. We have people who go in regularly to try to help.
So that didn't help to lighten my mood by any means.

I should be getting ready for work, but spent too much time ordering craft supplies - my dh will not love it! I have decided to make a special graduation book for a girl in our church - she is our worship leader and I want to maked an altered book - either using an hymnal or pages of a hymnal - so I bought a couple, then bought serveral christian themed stamp sets (yikes) - and special inks and such - it adds up so very fast.
I hope to use the stamps and other supplies mixed with various mediums - ink pads, sprays, paints, ribbons and such -
then to pages will add scriptures, embelishments and such.
I don't have the logistics all worked out - may use another book, and use pages from the hymnal in that, I can't make up my mind - which I hope doesn't deter me from actually doing this...I am not a good decision maker.

Oh well - work, home, Bible Study.

BW - I would have not enjoyed the whole bat experience, and my heart began to race as I read it - they are my worst nightmare, with mice a close second.

Todd - how was the report from the oncologist? Happy Retirement, and congratulations on a job well done - I salute anyone who helps out our furry and feathered friends - what joy these creatures bring, and how much support is needed for those in need

Trip - I agree, this summer is a bummer.

Hope all is well in Cruisemate Land - my thoughts and prayers are billowing out.
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Admiral

good morning from New Orleans

hopefully all of the celebrity excitement of the last few weeks will die down and we can focus on what's really important in the news..the Gov. of South Carolina

Todd, on a serious note..you should be very proud of your tenure helping animals..One of the really sad lessons we in Katrina impacted areas learned was there was no real plan in effect for evacuation of pets..hopefully we have learned from our errors and have shared that with the rest of the country
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Jen,

`Reckon you missed my 2nd post under yesterday's opener. It currently appears we were worried for no reason. While not good by any shade of the imagination (WBC in the 120's, platelets at 99 along with nine others being out of whack), had actually improved! We were ecstatic albeit we're not totally out of the woods yet. They scheduled her yesterday for a CT scan next week and we'll find out the results for that the following week.

Thank you so much Jen, for asking

Todd
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Todd, I forgot to say "good news!" on Fran's report, I'm sure you are both greatly relieved!
Also wanted to say thank you for your years of service helping the animal population. Rescues are wonderful, and I can attest to that with my wonderful, loving new kitty who was a rescue. If I ever get another dog, it will be from a rescue also. I was less than impressed with our "legitimate" breeder....

donna
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Good Morning All - It's one of those days for me as well - can't seem to get going here at work and the weather outside will start getting warmer as the day gets longer. There is a chance for rain which we could use - need to keep moisture on the beans and corn - we need a really crop this year - I would really like to retire but with the economy as it is - dh keeps telling me " you have a good job with the gov't, keep it and retire later"

so guess I'd better get back to my "good job" and get busy.

everyone have a great day/ a better tomorrow and prayers for all.
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Good morning from another hot day in Virginia Beach. Todd, kudos to you for a job well done! Being a former owner of several dogs, I know the importance of the work the Humane Society does. Animals are very important in people's lives; they saying that having pets make you healthier. We would love to own another dog but we leave town quite a bit since our daughters' both live out of town and we feel that it is not fair to leave an animal behind. (both of our dogs suffered from separation anxiety and wouldn't eat every time we were away). Have a great day fellow cruisemates and may nothing but joy come to your lives!