Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:33 AM
Admiral

Default Brandywine tomato recipe help

Hi all,
I decided to try a brandywine tomato plant out here. It turns out they love 100 degree weather. The thing is huge with lots of tomatoes. They are green now, but won't stay that way to much longer.

I'm hoping people that have grown this type of tomato or cooked with this type of tomato and can help me. If I have more tomatoes then I could eat what recipes do you suggest for the rest of the tomatoes? Can I make and freeze pasta sauce? Should I only eat this type of tomato raw on salads and sandwiches? Any help would be appreciated. I can't wait to taste my first Brandywine Tomato.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Kat,

The Italian in the family makes and freezes her marinara sauce. While she prefers Roma or "Italian" tomatoes, she said virtually any tomato makes a delicious sauce.

This is what she does:

Peel the tomatoes (dipping them in hot water for a few seconds makes this part easier) and then quarter them into a large collander. Place the collander into the sink and allow them to drain for a few minutes (otherwise you sauce will be much too watery).

Cover the bottom of your pot (she uses approximately 1/4 inch) in about a quarter of an inch of olive oil and slowly sautee' four or five cloves of garlic until light brown (if the oil is too hot or you cook it too long, the garlic will burn and that will ruin your sauce).

Into the hot oil pour your drained and quartered tomatoes (they will initially sizzle and pop so be careful), then immediately stir the sauce while adding four or five leaves of fresh basil. Lower the heat and simmer the sauce for approximately one half hour keeping in mind fresh marinara will be more "liquid" than a commercial sauce. Do not over cook as cooking too long will result in a sauce that tastes more like you used canned tomatoes than fresh. Fran has always said you cook a sauce made with canned tomatoes longer than a sauce made from fresh tomatoes. Season to taste; allow the sauce to cool until just warm and then pour it into the container(s) of your choice and freeze.

Todd
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Thanks Todd that is interesting, because I normally use canned tomatoes and cook the sauce forever. Since I'm going to use fresh tomatoes I will take your advice and shorten the cooking time. How many tomatoes does she use? These tomatoes are about the size of beef steak tomatoes, so quite a bit bigger the romas. I have fresh basil growing out back so that is no problem. No onions in the recipe? These Brandywine tomatoes are really looking good. I hope they taste as good as they look.

I'm growing sweet 100 tomatoes also. But these are great with fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, and a some penne pasta. I make a dressing to top it with extra virgin olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. It's a great summer dish that can be eaten hot or cold.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
Admiral

You can also freeze tomatoes whole and save to use in sauces and stews throughout the year.

If I were you, I would invest in 2 wonderful cookbooks. They are "The Splendid Table" and the "Italian Country Table." Both of these are written by Lynne Rosetto Kasper. She has some amazing dishes that utilize tomatoes and she has excellent hints for tomato storage, etc.

She has recipes for several tomato sauces, roasted tomatoes, dried tomatoes, etc. She even has a recipe for a wonderfun green tomato sauce to use "on a midsummer's eve."

My favorites are her Oven Roasted Tomatoes, which are roasted with olive oil, fresh basil leaves, rosemary, onion, and garlic. They are out of this world.

Honestly every reciipe we have tried in these two books has been wonderful, without exception. I highly recommend both of these books. Her recipe books are endorsed by people such as Alice Waters, Mario Batali, Luciano Pavarroti and many others.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Katlady,

Fran couldn't answer your questions as to number of tomatoes except to use your own judgement because she doesn't generally use beefsteaks.

No onions go into "real" Marinara. Having said that, I personally like onions in sauce. By the way, depending upon from which Italian community a person hails, often determines whether they call many forms of tomato sauce "sauce" or "gravy."

By the way, she also makes a "New York" style cheesecake that puts even the famous cheesecake makers in Manhattan to shame. Or at least according to many from both New York and Tennessee who frequently go to New York and who define Cheesecake as their all time favorite dessert. The darned thing even weighs more than any cheesecake I've ever lifted of even greater size. People have been telling her for years she should sell it to very upscale restaurants. She won't of course and sorry but she won't give out her recipe to even her best friend.....and that is the only recipe she has that she won't share.

And finally think about this.....a chocalate tort made from crushed saltine crackers, eggs, sugar, vanilla, chopped walnuts and a cup and a half of bourbon and which is topped with a merengue. All I'll say is it is out of this world and in case you think that all the alcohol is cooked out, I'll only say don't have a large slice and then drive. That was my mother's dessert and I wish I could find the recipe as it's also my favorite. We have it somewhere.

Bon Appetite!

Todd
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Take the green tomato, slice it, season it with Lawery's salt and pepper. Coat it with yellow corn meal or tempura and fry. Ahh! you're down home then.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Yummy you guys are making me hungry. I will have to check out these cookbooks. The cheese cake sounds wonderful, can she fedex me one. I got some beautiful green tomatoes on there and I naver had fried green tomatoes (I liked the movie). Will a bunch of Italians jump me if I put onions in my sauce/gravy? I love onions and garlic. Thanks for all the suggestions keep them coming.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Kat, my Italian DW allways puts onoins in her sauce.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Admiral

Here is a couple of pictures:
This one is almost ready.

This is only one plant.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 24th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Beautiful. IMO those green ones are ready now. Nice plants!