CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Very Sad News - Rita Ippoliti (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/366394-very-sad-news-rita-ippoliti.html)

Paul Motter July 22nd, 2009 12:39 PM

Very Sad News - Rita Ippoliti

Rita, who went by the name Kryos, passed away last night. Nobody knows exactly what happened. She wrote to me last night and said she had stayed home from work due to a migraine. They found she had passed out in the bathroom, hit her head pretty hard, and did not wake up.

Rita not only contributed to our boards, she was a CruiseMates staff member who contributed articles and a blogged on a regular basis. She will be missed a great deal.

Naturally, our prayers are with her family, especially her father who depended upon her. She is survived by a sister and a brother (I believe) and her father.

Rita had a Holland America 28-day cruise scheduled in October - roundtrip Los Angeles to Hawaii and Tahiti. She was really looking forward to it. She worked nights at the Philadelphia Inquirer and had her elderly father living with her. She had just received travel agent certification from Cruise Planners and wanted to start her own agency. She had gone to Florida and completed her training.

Delft July 22nd, 2009 12:43 PM

That is very sad, shocking. Life is truly very fragile. May she rest in peace. Prayers are with her family.

beenie weenie July 22nd, 2009 12:48 PM

I am very sorry to hear of Rita's passing. What a very tragic and sad situation. My thoughts and prayers will be with her loved ones.

Trip July 22nd, 2009 01:52 PM

Rita was generous of spirit, and words, for all the Cruisemates here, she helped. I am so sad for her loss, such a tragedy...she will be missed...

thecruisequeen July 22nd, 2009 02:20 PM

That is horrible news. My prayers go out to her family. :(

venice July 22nd, 2009 02:24 PM

thanks for sharing..I will miss her postings..life is so short

Paul Motter July 22nd, 2009 02:55 PM

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/.../ecstasy45.cfm

Magnolia Blossom, yours was the last cruise review she ever posted. here it is.

katlady July 22nd, 2009 03:24 PM

This is very sad news. Her posts and vitural cruises were informative and entertaining. My thoughts and prayers are with her family at this difficult time.

sail7seas July 22nd, 2009 04:21 PM

Such sad, shocking news. Very sorry to hear of Rita's passing.

My condolences to her family and friends.

CruisinK n J July 22nd, 2009 04:29 PM

Very Sad News - Rita Ippoliti

I didn't know Rita, but my condolences go out to her family and friends.

Judy

RevNeal July 22nd, 2009 04:39 PM

My prayers are for her father and for her memory. I enjoyed meeting her once, and considered her a friend even despite our periodic differences.

May God bless Rita's memory, and her family, and all who loved and cruised with her.

crusin' fool July 22nd, 2009 05:03 PM

I can't say much right now, only comfirm that this heartbreaking news is true. Rita is/was my dearest and closest friend. I just can't believe this we spoke on the phone for two hours last night. . I am in denial right now

Brian J July 22nd, 2009 05:12 PM

R.I.P. :cry:

earl July 22nd, 2009 05:50 PM

So sorry to heart the bad news. I can`t believe

ToddDH July 22nd, 2009 06:23 PM

I am absolutely crushed. I have just seen Paul's post.

I didn't ever meet Rita, but she and I had more than several extremely delightful and for me, educational telephone conversations. She was not only a skilled writer but an outstanding editor as well. We last cooperated on an article I wrote for this site concerning a new build.

May she be welcomed by the Angels and may the Lord provide to her family in their time of grief, only the peace that he alone can provide.

Todd

rollerdonna July 22nd, 2009 06:43 PM

Such sad and heartbreaking news. Thanks Paul, for letting us know, and condolences go out to her family and friends, from all of us here at CruiseMates.

donna

Donna July 22nd, 2009 06:46 PM

What sad news, so sorry to hear about Rita, she will be missed here at Cruisemates. Prayers to her family.

rinker250 July 22nd, 2009 08:12 PM

Wow...I am absolutely stunned.
I have kinda ventured away from this site, returning on occasion to post a joke or two.

I had a few conversations with Rita and considered her a real freind.

Bless you Rita

JamesRT July 22nd, 2009 08:13 PM

Blues Skies for Rita!
She'll be missed by all

Paul Motter July 22nd, 2009 08:32 PM

This is one of those situations where the unexpectedness of the situation blunts the reality. As the day goes on the more I miss her. She was such an asset to me, and I don't think most people know how much she did behind the scenes here.

Rita picked and posted the message and pictures of the day on the front page every day. She also read every reader review that would come in and often commented about them to me. We didn't talk on the phone every day, but I usually got anywhere from three to ten emails a day from her.

She did the layout of all the articles, and I actually have four articles yet to be published that she just wrote. She was such a hard worker, and she really knocked out a few topics in the last week because she said she felt obligated to do them.

I don't know if you guys know that she wrote copy for a web site where she got paid by the word, just about 5-cents or so, but she would do 10,000 words in a weekend. She wrote a book about sky-diving and she was interested in writing another book.

She was the kind of person who never pussyfooted around anything. If she wanted to do it she jumped in with both feet. As I said, she got her travel agent's certification from Cruise Planners (a very good outfit) which required flying to Florida for training. I also just heard she was going to court reporting school.

She smoked, you could hear the rattle in her voice when she talked. And she was only 53 years old, Jan. 16, 1956.

She took care of her dad all on her own, and he is about 95. He used to need hospitalization quite often.

The thing about her is that she always took everything in stride. She never, ever got mad about anything that I can remember. She complained sometimes but always in a kidding, very good natured way. And she could swear like a sailor when she wanted to, but not very often.

I swear, there is something about the early 50s age bracket. My brother passed away at 51. A lot of people seem to go at that age, and it is almost like if you can beat that you are home free for awhile.

Anyway - she wrote me an email at just 3:30 pm yesterday and I didn't get a chance to reply. She wrote and said she had a migraine and was taking off work.

Goodbye Rita. I hope you are now on a cruise ship to paradise. The only places you cared to go were warm and tropical. She was booked to go to Hawaii/Tahiti in October and she said "no Alaska for me, I don't care about that cold stuff."

April July 22nd, 2009 08:56 PM

My thoughts and prayers go out to all that knew her---
So much of this hits close to home----

April

Paul Motter July 22nd, 2009 09:14 PM

Here is the funeral information:

The ceremony will be Saturday:

Galzerano Funeral Home
9304 Old Bustleton Ave.
Philadelphia, PA

Here is more information about Rita:

She went to law school, (but never took the bar exam)
favorite drink: Tropical Cable Car

debshomespun July 22nd, 2009 09:14 PM

Such sad news about Rita. We exchanged many emails before our cruise on the Ryndam to Hawaii/Tahiti in jan of this year. She was so helpful. She did such a wonderful "live" postings from her Statendam cruise last year. She will be sadly missed.

Condolences to her family.

susierphillips July 23rd, 2009 08:17 AM

Thanks Paul for the information. I find myself deeply saddened to hear of her sudden passing. She had so much information on the boards and I enjoyed reading her perspective. I've been quiet here for awhile but it's just me. We'll miss her.

Luanne Russo July 23rd, 2009 09:18 AM

Very sad news. My prayers to her family. They are surely proud of her accomplishments.

mikeysmomma July 23rd, 2009 10:55 PM

Our thoughts and prayers to her family, it so sad. Rita had just spoken to me last week on the phone excited about an article she had written about our son Dan (former cruisemates teen editor), she took much interest in how he was developing on his passion for cruising, we had planned a future phone interview. She seemed like a truly caring person. I am sure many have fond memories of her and those should be cherished. We really have no idea how long our lives are and should all remember that its really about our character that people remember and not our possesions.

VTJen July 24th, 2009 07:30 AM

Truly sad. Will be praying for all those she left behind.

Lisa July 25th, 2009 12:53 AM

May she rest in peace, forever on that cruise ship to the tropics.

LS80 July 25th, 2009 10:49 AM

Very sad news.....will keep her & family in our thoughts.......

Sharon